Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early Barndoor engine case?
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patastrophic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Early Barndoor engine case? Reply with quote

On a trip out into the woods I have found the following engine case just laying around, can anyone help me with date? Can anyone see on the picture if it's aluminium or magnesium?
I only took this picture as of now and didn't bother looking into the condition at that moment unfortunately.
Will have to go back and have a closer look for more parts as well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Barndoor engine case? Reply with quote

Jan ‘51…early & 25hp
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/chassisdating.php
Patastrophic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Early Barndoor engine case? Reply with quote

Thanks.

After further analysis I've found that under the production number it says [AUSTAUSCH] which means exchange.
Then I found this on the side of the alternator stand.

My guess would be that it should be the letters "KD" above the number which means "Kundendienst", essentially exchange engine.

I can't make any sense of the numbers though...
Any help?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Early Barndoor engine case? Reply with quote

I don't know, but I have a beetle case with the same markings. Adding these below in case it helps someone else work out what the number stamped around the side of the pedestal means.

Original engine number was -1-*0848235 (the asterisk is stamped above the hyphen). It wasn't ground off (the original casting ridges surround the number).
It was rebuilt at some point and the number 1-0319093 was stamped below the original number.

The side of the pedestal is stamped with KD 178413 in the same layout as yours. (I thought it was 'YD', but comparing to yours, it's clear that it was struck at an angle, so the lower leg of the K is missing.)

That last number doesn't tally with any other numbers that would coincide with either the original or re-built engine numbers (not the body, chassis, front or rear axle or engine numbers).

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: