Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The things we MacGyver on our vans
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:27 pm    Post subject: The things we MacGyver on our vans Reply with quote

Years ago, maybe 10 years, speedo stops working. I trace it to this..syncro speedo drive gear..poor thing..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Trouble is this is a 6,17 r/p so can't find a replacement anywhere. Until I notice
it's the same tooth count as the north american 4,86 gear..smaller in diameter
and different tooth profile but same number..

So I took tiny files a shaped my own from a spare na gear. Kind of forgot about it..
Today swapping viscous coupling..oh yeah I remember..looks pretty good still..
Share your MacGyver moments Very Happy
PJ Snow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The things we MacGyver on our vans Reply with quote

Speedo hack. Super glue and a bread tie.

I saw this on a Facebook group so I can’t claim it. But it has worked for several hundred miles.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The things we MacGyver on our vans Reply with quote

Didn’t have a way to light the stove first morning out to make coffee. Was able to temporarily add wire to the kitchen light to create an electrical spark to light the burner. Coffee tasted even better than usual.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The things we MacGyver on our vans Reply with quote

At a campsite last summer, all they had was wet firewood. Impossible to start a fire the ususal, easy way. So I did the gasoline a a half-can of beer trick.
To empty the beer, I used my belly. To fill the can with fuel, I crawled under the van, unscrewed the clamp at the fuel tank outlet and poured fuel into the can. Not sure if it counts, since I was using the van rather than fixing it, but felt pretty McGyver to me!
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The things we MacGyver on our vans Reply with quote

A bread tie speedo fix..pyrothecnics to light the stove and filling a can of beer straight from the tank !!!

Very high MacGyver points all around..I like it Laughing
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The things we MacGyver on our vans Reply with quote

Coffee pot under the fresh water tank drain, then up and onto the propane stove. Solution to a dead faucet and an urgent need for tea.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The things we MacGyver on our vans Reply with quote

Shovelled an A2 Jetta tach into an '85 cluster to replace the clock - not pretty in back but worked just fine.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: The things we MacGyver on our vans Reply with quote

Not my 'handy' work, but was there on our Vanagon when we bought it.. I guess it counts, right? Razz Razz
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: The things we MacGyver on our vans Reply with quote

To keep it from leaking? Laughing
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: The things we MacGyver on our vans Reply with quote

PSA on the use of gasoline to start a fire: MANY MANY people have died trying this. Diesel is the answer, Kerosene, whatever, but NOT Gas. It is explosive, and the flames follow the fumes. If you got some on your hand, clothes, or whatever, they are on fire NOW, and you are in trouble.

Just say no to starting fire with gas.
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: The things we MacGyver on our vans Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
PSA on the use of gasoline to start a fire: MANY MANY people have died trying this. Diesel is the answer, Kerosene, whatever, but NOT Gas. It is explosive, and the flames follow the fumes. If you got some on your hand, clothes, or whatever, they are on fire NOW, and you are in trouble.

Good reminder — Safety first!

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The things we MacGyver on our vans Reply with quote

Does making your own diesel head gasket so that you can add a turbo count?

Roland
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The things we MacGyver on our vans Reply with quote

RolandD wrote:
Does making your own diesel head gasket so that you can add a turbo count?

Roland

Hell Yeah !!
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The things we MacGyver on our vans Reply with quote

Red Ryder wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:

No joke. Did any one catch the news about Jay Leno?

BK
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The things we MacGyver on our vans Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:

BK

I was tempted to add "just ask Jay" but refrained. Sad...
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The things we MacGyver on our vans Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
Red Ryder wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:

BK
Yes, I did. I wonder what car was the culprit, that caught fire. Confused Confused
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The things we MacGyver on our vans Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
To keep it from leaking? Laughing
According to a few Samba members, the early tension bands/Clamps on the fuel rails could rust out, I think they were changed to Stainless Steel from what the other members were saying because of this. So, this was probably a repair for a rusted clamp on the end of the rail, versus buying a new one or getting a good used one from a Salvage Yard way back when...???? Confused Confused
Any way, it didn't leak, even in really cold weather. I was surprised about that.
I replaced both fuel rails with Van Cafe models before the Vanagon was ever really on the road.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The things we MacGyver on our vans Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Yes, I did. I wonder what car was the culprit, that caught fire. Confused Confused

I hadn't heard until I clicked this thread.

The car was reportedly a 1907 White Steam Car
https://stylecaster.com/what-happen-jay-leno/
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The things we MacGyver on our vans Reply with quote

Seats.

Many of us run seats from other vehicles or after market offerings,

Is how we mount them safe?

Who really knows!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The things we MacGyver on our vans Reply with quote

Shift linkage went wonky 1000s of miles from home, first was now somewhere left of the lockout so I couldn't tell whether I was in first or reverse without letting the clutch out.

Not so good in stop and go traffic in hill country.

I wired the backup light to one of the interior lights so it would light up if I had selected reverse.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: