Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cheryl’s first bus
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mykez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: Cheryl’s first bus Reply with quote

So a little about the bus. It’s a 72 import, from Germany to USA Texas then imported to the UK 11 years ago. It’s LHD has original 72 westfalia interior, original paint on the exterior along with original panels, it’s had nothing welded, and is truley solid. It’s a 1700cc running with twin Webber carbs that’s need setting up properly, lowered 1 spline on the rear and lowered a little on the front on the adjustable beam.

I love it 💕
Cheryl x

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheryl’s first bus Reply with quote

Very cool, Cheryl, congrats! She should make for some good camping memories and good times just rollin' the UK roadways. Teal Bay Bus
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Cheryl’s first bus Reply with quote

Cute chick in a Bus? What's not to like?!

Welcome, post more pics (of the Bus).
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheryl’s first bus Reply with quote

I had a Bay bus this color, all blue too (no white top), when I was a kid. I drove it all over the place and would put my Yamaha YZ125 dirt bike in it to haul it around. Just seeing your bus brings back good memories. Very Happy The radio would have static that matched the engine rpm. I loved that bus.

Mine had a bare bones interior, no headliner and no evidence that there ever was a headliner. I always thought mine had been some kind of commercial vehicle.

I like the way yours is lowered and has the turned eye lids. Very cool overall presentation.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Mykez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Cheryl’s first bus Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Very cool, Cheryl, congrats! She should make for some good camping memories and good times just rollin' the UK roadways. Teal Bay Bus

True lol
Mykez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Cheryl’s first bus Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
I had a Bay bus this color, all blue too (no white top), when I was a kid. I drove it all over the place and would put my Yamaha YZ125 dirt bike in it to haul it around. Just seeing your bus brings back good memories. Very Happy The radio would have static that matched the engine rpm. I loved that bus.

Mine had a bare bones interior, no headliner and no evidence that there ever was a headliner. I always thought mine had been some kind of commercial vehicle.

I like the way yours is lowered and has the turned eye lids. Very cool overall presentation.

Nice to bring some good memories back for someone Smile

I want to lower it more lol
Mykez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheryl’s first bus Reply with quote

Mykez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheryl’s first bus Reply with quote

So shortly after purchasing it went to its first car meet

Mykez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheryl’s first bus Reply with quote

Then the brake cylinder started leaking so I changed both cyclinders, shoes, drums etc

Mykez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheryl’s first bus Reply with quote

Next up was to change the fuel lines, replace the house pipe used as protection in the firewall with a grommet, located the fuel filter under the bus rather than inside the engine bay, not ideal attached to starter motor but will rectify later

Ended up draining all the fuel out of the tank to change the hose. Annoying

Also had a little leak from the carb. My friend rectified this for me

Mykez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheryl’s first bus Reply with quote

After all of the previous, it isn’t running correctly

Only one side of the engine works on idle, currently going through fault finding over the next few days so will report back once we figure out what it is
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Cheryl’s first bus Reply with quote

It’s a clog somewhere or a stuck needle and seat. You can try tapping on the carb with a wrench.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PatJr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Cheryl’s first bus Reply with quote

nice bus and a cute girl
going to make for some great memories and fill up your photo album ...
do people still have those???

some nightmares along the way too I'm sure ... it is an old Volkswagen
Mykez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Cheryl’s first bus Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
It’s a clog somewhere or a stuck needle and seat. You can try tapping on the carb with a wrench.

Stopped carb, all jets are clear, carbs was prorrply cleaned in one of those cleaning machines as well

Spark plugs don’t spark when they are installed into the engine, they only spark when out of the engine. Plugs are wet, they come to life when rev engine though

Maybe air leaking in or valve clearances maybe
Mykez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Cheryl’s first bus Reply with quote

Picked this up for £40 posted brand new. No instructions though, if anyone has any please feel free to upload them lolattachFull131963

PatJr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheryl’s first bus Reply with quote

yea, first stop, valve adjustment
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheryl’s first bus Reply with quote

Mykez wrote:
Spark plugs don’t spark when they are installed into the engine, they only spark when out of the engine. Plugs are wet, they come to life when rev engine though

Sounds like the ignition system is weak or the plug gap is too large. Check for low voltage to the coil at idle and for excessive resistance in the plugs & leads on the affected side.
Mykez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheryl’s first bus Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Mykez wrote:

Sounds like the ignition system is weak or the plug gap is too large. Check for low voltage to the coil at idle and for excessive resistance in the plugs & leads on the affected side.

Swapped everything from the non working side to the working side but the problem didn’t shift over Sad
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheryl’s first bus Reply with quote

Mykez wrote:
mukluk wrote:
Mykez wrote:

Swapped everything from the non working side to the working side but the problem didn’t shift over Sad

What's the voltage reading at the coil at idle?
What gap are you running on your spark plugs?

Also, out of curiosity, how exactly have you determined that the plugs aren't sparking when they are installed into the engine? By what means or method have you come to this conclusion?
Mykez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheryl’s first bus Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Mykez wrote:
mukluk wrote:
Mykez wrote:

What's the voltage reading at the coil at idle?
What gap are you running on your spark plugs?

Also, out of curiosity, how exactly have you determined that the plugs aren't sparking when they are installed into the engine? By what means or method have you come to this conclusion?

I don’t know what the voltage was, I didn’t do the testing but what would a good voltage be? I don’t know the gap on the plugs either but the plugs and leads was swapped over to the other side that runs and it ran fine.

Touching the plugs onto the tinware whilst cranking engine determined that the plugs spark up. My friend will get to the bottom of it eventually but it’s interesting to learn as he does fault find, but I did miss a few bits due to making cups of tea for him lol
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: