Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shock absorber bolts in beam
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sweetbabyjane1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Shock absorber bolts in beam Reply with quote

When removing the shock absorber from the front beam, we noticed the nut of the mounting bolt was rubbing on both sides and digging in on the right hand side of the car. I suspect one of the previous owners stripped the threads of the beam and drilled out the remainder of the threads and used a nut to hold the end of the bolt. The beam is suppose to be threaded is it not? Now we have to find a way to mount the shocks without rubbing on the body.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Shock absorber bolts in beam Reply with quote

Early cars used a stepped bolt that was M10 size along the shank and had smaller threads, M9 I think. Someone probably lost the bolt and drilled it out in the past, more common than you would think. I would find or make an appropriate threaded insert, and drill the beam out to fit and weld it in place. Or grind the back side down so there's room for the nut. But, you can usually get a finger in between the shock tower and the body, so I think you should have room for a nut. Is the body straight and sitting centered between the shock towers?
Sweetbabyjane1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Shock absorber bolts in beam Reply with quote

Thank you so much. That is a great idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RustPatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Shock absorber bolts in beam Reply with quote

Yeah, like esde said they had a stepped bolt. It was M12 to M10 plus they had an oversize M12 (which i always thought was incase you screwed up the threads you could just tap it to M12).

If you make an M12 x 1.5 insert I have a pair of original bolts or you can use any M12 bolt.

Sweetbabyjane1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Shock absorber bolts in beam Reply with quote

The bolts that were in my vehicle were 80mm and 90mm, it was the 90mm that broke through the skin of the wheel well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: