Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Covered license plate pics
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Why do people cover the license plates when they post pictures of their cars? They are exposed in real life, so what's the difference?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Because people are paranoid. And these are the same people that have smartphones, ez pass transponders, go on the interweb and use credit cards.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

It used to be that the license number gave people access to names and addresses, making a desirable car easier to steal. I got in the habit of blanking it for that reason.

That info is supposed to be protected unless you are a licensed PI or peace officer. But we know how well that works. The internet has all that info. And the typical VW stealer is not a sophisticated planner. They seize targets of opportunity.

So it's kinda pointless now.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
making a desirable car easier to steal.

It's insured.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

People get freaked out about all kinds of stuff. It's amusing.
For a thief who wants a desirable car to steal, it is a lot easier to go to a local car show and follow a desirable car home.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

AirHead1966 wrote:
People get freaked out about all kinds of stuff. It's amusing.
For a thief who wants a desirable car to steal, it is a lot easier to go to a local car show and follow a desirable car home.

Or go to and Starbucks on a cold Sunday morning and grab one of the many luxury SUVs in front that were left running while the owner is getting their $10 grande.

A new BMW X7 is a lot more valuable and easier to sell than a 50 year old VW.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Agreed.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

and some can't drive a 'Stick' Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

When I see a picture of a covered license plate I wonder... what's the secret? Did you steal that car? Or just the plate? Should I be reporting you?

Covering the plate is a totally brain dead thing to do. Think about how many people can see that plate every day on the street - take photos of it even. Now compare that with the number of people that look at your photo on an exclusive site like this one or those that see it on Kijiji/Market place/Craig's list/Face plant, where ever you post it. It's a ridiculously small number you are concerned about!

To prove the point, 20 bucks goes to the person who can tell me what my address is from this plate!

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Quote:
To prove the point, 20 bucks goes to the person who can tell me what my address is from this plate!

Canadian? Not worth the hassle.

Now if, you're talking 20 Canadian buck deer. I'd have to give it a shot. <Pun intended! Very Happy

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

Even if someone could figure it out, who would go to a different city or even a different country just to steal a car when more valuable cars are readily available locally.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

AirHead1966 wrote:
oprn wrote:

Even if someone could figure it out, who would go to a different city or even a different country just to steal a car when more valuable cars are readily available locally.

thieves more likely to steal from another state than steal from their back yard. less chance of getting caught by someone who knows the car
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
When I see a picture of a covered license plate I wonder... what's the secret? Did you steal that car? Or just the plate? Should I be reporting you?

Covering the plate is a totally brain dead thing to do. Think about how many people can see that plate every day on the street - take photos of it even. Now compare that with the number of people that look at your photo on an exclusive site like this one or those that see it on Kijiji/Market place/Craig's list/Face plant, where ever you post it. It's a ridiculously small number you are concerned about!

Th address is

“Western Canada”

I’d send you my address for my $20 but how do I know it’s you?
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver%27s_Privacy_Protection_Act

Covering it up is dumb.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
AirHead1966 wrote:
oprn wrote:

thieves more likely to steal from another state than steal from their back yard. less chance of getting caught by someone who knows the car

No, almost all theft is local.

I've also seen stats that 1/3 of thefts are joyrides.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

If you question those who block license plate numbers.......their fathers did it and now they do it. They dont even know why. Its generational, and very stupid.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Some scammers used pictures of my car in a bunch of fake "for sale" ads. It was not for sale. Then I started getting questions locally about whether my car was for sale. It was still not for sale. I don't know what kinda scam they were pulling but I see no reason to help them out either.

I don't cover the license plate, but I don't make it easy to read in photos either.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Th address is

“Western Canada”

I’d send you my address for my $20 but how do I know it’s you?

That's about the laziest response you could give! There you go guys, he couldn't even bother to read the license plate and see that I live in the province of Alberta in Western Canada. That would have narrowed it down by about 80% by land mass!

My $20 is pretty safe!

Last edited by oprn on Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Some scammers used pictures of my car in a bunch of fake "for sale" ads. It was not for sale. Then I started getting questions locally about whether my car was for sale. It was still not for sale. I don't know what kinda scam they were pulling but I see no reason to help them out either.

I don't cover the license plate, but I don't make it easy to read in photos either.

In this case, if the license plate is visible in the ad then you would have the advantage in court. You could prove that it was your car in the ad and hang them out to dry!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

Canadian? Not worth the hassle.

Just think, that would buy you a flat or cheap US beer! You won't get good Canadian beer for that though... Wink

Right back at ya! Very Happy
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: