Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Covered license plate pics
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Would mounting it upside down be a protest like flying the flag upside down? Think
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

You only mount your plate upside-down if your car is in distress, not protest.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

In NYS you can get a ticket if your plate is defaced or unreadable.

There was a batch of plates where the colored covering over the metal plate is peeling off. You have to apply for a replacement or you can get a "fix it" ticket that you'll have to pay if you don't replace it.

People have used a power washer to remove the vinyl covering so the plate readers can't read it.

https://dmv.ny.gov/press-release/press-release-10-11-2022

https://blog.nycm.com/2019/01/defective-license-plates-could-get-you.html

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2022/05/20/mta-to-moto...t-do-that/

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

There is a batch of Idaho plates that have begun to peel off, too. I have one of them. They went away from actual embossed letter several years back, and the new ones are some sort of screen print. Then they started slating the roads and the corrosion makes the vinyl peel off the aluminum. Not their problem, your problem since here in Idaho, you own the plate.

At least plates are cheap here. Just inconvenient to go into the DMV and wait all day to get it done.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:

??? There is a new one. How can a car be in distress? Flat tire? Out of gas? Broken down? Do you turn the licence plate upside down before you catch a ride in to fill a jerry can?

In my part of the world we have 4 way flashers for that job.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

??? There is a new one. How can a car be in distress? Flat tire? Out of gas? Broken down? Do you turn the licence plate upside down before you catch a ride in to fill a jerry can?

In my part of the world we have 4 way flashers for that job.

it was in jest, in the US flying the flag upside down is supposed to by in distress, protestors are currently flying the flag upside down
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Just to shake things up I get a new plate every year and why not? They are cheap here😀
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

I was in the registry office today trying to sort out a VID number discrepancy on my street Buggy. I was assured once again in no uncertain terms that the ownership of a vehicle cannot be legally disclosed to any member of the public under any circumstance. This also applies to the VIN number. You cannot bring a VIN number in and get access to the current owner's information. You can do a title search for bank leans, salvage status, accident records, stolen vehicle status but not the ID of the current owner!
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

I don't hide my plates, I just don't display them both------thereby cutting my exposure by 50%.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I was in the registry office today trying to sort out a VID number discrepancy on my street Buggy. I was assured once again in no uncertain terms that the ownership of a vehicle cannot be legally disclosed to any member of the public under any circumstance. This also applies to the VIN number. You cannot bring a VIN number in and get access to the current owner's information. You can do a title search for bank leans, salvage status, accident records, stolen vehicle status but not the ID of the current owner!

That is the key.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Good one iowegian Laughing

This will not apply to oprn and some others outside the U.S. I wonder how many people in this thread still write personal checks to retail stores. Think about a dishonest store clerk that now has your name, address, routing number, and account numbers. Usually the people that write checks are the customers that are afraid to shop online or use bank cards for security purposes d'oh!

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

This will not apply to oprn and some others outside the U.S. I wonder how many people in this thread still write personal checks to retail stores. Think about a dishonest store clerk that now has your name, address, routing number, and account numbers. Usually the people that write checks are the customers that are afraid to shop online or use bank cards for security purposes d'oh!

ID theft criminals have lost interest in personal checks since so few use them anymore. The best game is people using Debit cards for everything. Debit cards have no Federal protection against fraud and are a direct line to your bank account.

Use cash or credit cards for in person purchases, and credit card or a paypal type service when online. And freeze your credit. Throw that debit card in the incinerator. Only use checks for when mailing in a bill payment if you still do that. ( I do for a few things)
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Xevin wrote:

ID theft criminals have lost interest in personal checks since so few use them anymore. The best game is people using Debit cards for everything. Debit cards have no Federal protection against fraud and are a direct line to your bank account.

Use cash or credit cards for in person purchases, and credit card or a paypal type service when online. And freeze your credit. Throw that debit card in the incinerator. Only use checks for when mailing in a bill payment if you still do that. ( I do for a few things)

“Definition and Example of a Bank Card:
Banks are payment cards that banks issue to customers. This type of card can include debit, ATM, and credit cards.”

In some retail circles a bank card is a term used to indicate all forms of cards issued by a bank.
You are correct about pitching the debit cards.

Please PM me your checking account info, full name, and address Laughing
I’ll order some checks with a graphic of VWs Wink
It used to be really easy to order checks from a third party. Hopefully that’s changed.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

[quote="oprn"]
Pruneman99 wrote:
??? There is a new one. How can a car be in distress? .

Go to the Abortion Thread on here. There's plenty of examples! Very Happy
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
I don't hide my plates, I just don't display them both------thereby cutting my exposure by 50%.

How do you like this? Several years ago a member here PMed me about running this. He was from Europe and was concerned it may be illegal. I told him in America they got bigger fish to fry that some old man in a crappy old car running an obsolete plate.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=2353972
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Here in Alberta they only issue one plate and it goes on the rear of the car. You can run anything you want on the front but most people have nothing there. This plastic one came on my Buggy and I just left it on.

Some day I will find one that says "My other car is a Porsche." for it. Then I will look for one that says "My other car is a Dune Buggy." and put it on the front of my 944!

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

I run a YOM plate on my 68 single cab (Year of Manufacture). Only one plate required. Front looks much cleaner without a plate.

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Oregon is two plates required. 10 minutes over the River in WA. One plate required.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Oregon is two plates required. 10 minutes over the River in WA. One plate required.

Two plates required here, too. But there are exceptions like YOM and old timer plates. Does OR have any of that stuff? Can you run YOM?
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Here in Alberta they only issue one plate and it goes on the rear of the car. You can run anything you want on the front but most people have nothing there. This plastic one came on my Buggy and I just left it on.

Some day I will find one that says "My other car is a Porsche." for it. Then I will look for one that says "My other car is a Dune Buggy." and put it on the front of my 944!

I'm running a Brazilian plate on my front bumper!

Smokey says.... only you can prevent Bug fires!
zerotofifty
May 16, 2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: