Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Covered license plate pics
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

WA is 2 plates for regular registration but only the rear for YOM, collector vehicle, and horseless carriage plates. The best part about those special plates is the lifetime registration! The use is supposed to be limited but the only time I've heard of someone getting in trouble was using it for commuting.

When I owned the oval I ran a regular plate in the rear (complete with annual tabs) and no front plate. I was never hassled. From the front an officer would expect it to have collector or YOM plates. From the rear they cannot see the front plate is missing.

Years ago I got pulled over and warned about not having a front plate (and not having bumpers) in my first car, a '60 Bug with some Cal Look styling. I didn't get a fix it ticket though, so I didn't!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
WA is 2 plates for regular registration but only the rear for YOM, collector vehicle, and horseless carriage plates. The best part about those special plates is the lifetime registration! The use is supposed to be limited but the only time I've heard of someone getting in trouble was using it for commuting.

When I owned the oval I ran a regular plate in the rear (complete with annual tabs) and no front plate. I was never hassled. From the front an officer would expect it to have collector or YOM plates. From the rear they cannot see the front plate is missing.

Years ago I got pulled over and warned about not having a front plate (and not having bumpers) in my first car, a '60 Bug with some Cal Look styling. I didn't get a fix it ticket though, so I didn't!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
You just blew my mind. I have cars registered at my homes in Washington and Oregon. I never ran a front plate in WA along with so many other WA cars.
Time to mount the WA plates Embarassed Thanks for the info. I’ve been pulled over in California and Oregon without a front plate.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

You will get pulled over quickly in NY for no front plate. To cancel insurance, upu have to turn in a plate and get a receipt, and too many people were cancelling it, turning in one plate , and running just the invalid rear plate
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You will get pulled over quickly in NY for no front plate. To cancel insurance, upu have to turn in a plate and get a receipt, and too many people were cancelling it, turning in one plate , and running just the invalid rear plate

And yet when you guys sell a car the plate goes with it! If you have to turn in the plate to cancel insurance on a car you sell... how the heck does that work??!!
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Hey Merv,Each state has diff laws, In Michigan ,No front plate required , and we can keep our plate when we sell Wink and we drive on the right hand side down here Laughing Laughing Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You will get pulled over quickly in NY for no front plate.

Not true.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Any cop will look at that and know you have a lot of money in it, and will be insured.

And you are on Long Island, not NY.

Last edited by Abscate on Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

And yet when you guys sell a car the plate goes with it! If you have to turn in the plate to cancel insurance on a car you sell... how the heck does that work??!!

When I sell a car, at least in NY, the plate comes off and stays with me.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Abscate wrote:
You will get pulled over quickly in NY for no front plate.

Not true.

Maybe not quickly, but it's just a matter of time.

And if it's parked on the street (which yours isn't) it's a matter of less time.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Maybe they just couldn't catch up with him!
Laughing
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Laughing

Can't outrun a radio.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
Laughing

Can't outrun a radio.

Pretty sure Glenn bought that car new. Not sure how long he has run without that front plate, but I am guessing if it was going to happen, it would have happened by now. 48 years is a long time running from the cops.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
Laughing

Can't outrun a radio.

Oh but guys do it all the time on TV!!! Wink
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
Laughing

Can't outrun a radio.

Oh but guys do it all the time on TV!!! Wink

Ever see Ridiculousness?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

No. I will have to look it up.
insanitize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You will get pulled over quickly in NY for no front plate

Here in NYC it seems that anything goes lately. The current Idiot in Charge recently stated that there would be a crackdown on illegal plates yet in my area (SE Queens)
there are cars running around with expired out of state paper plates, no plates, or a piece of cardboard in the back window, and I see these cars all the time.
I even see the plates that are deliberately obscured and see these people drive right by cop cars and don't see them being pulled over
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Oprn, the plate does not get transferred with the car. Seller has to turn in plates and cancel insurance and registration, new owner has to reregister, and reinsure, and let's not forget pay sales tax. I don't think there are any states where the plate follows the car.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

Police are human too and miss the obvious. Years ago I took the plate off my Rabbit to move my Beetle an few miles from Dad's place to mine. Bad practice yes but I did it on back roads in off hours. About a week later I was driving in bumper to bumper, stop and go rush hour traffic and noticed a police car right behind me. It was then that I remembered I had not put my plate back on the Rabbit. Well, I sweated bricks for 20 minutes that day all the way through town expecting the red and blues would come on and I would have some "splain'in" to do!

Never happened!
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
oprn wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Oprn, the plate does not get transferred with the car. Seller has to turn in plates and cancel insurance and registration, new owner has to reregister, and reinsure, and let's not forget pay sales tax. I don't think there are any states where the plate follows the car.

That made me curious, because we used to let the plates go with the car we sold, unless it was a personalized plate. A quick look seems to show that in only 5 states now does the license plate stay with the car when sold, Alaska, California, Delaware Hawaii, and Minnesota. In the rest of the states the seller is supposed to take the plates, and in some states return them too. That list was from SelMax.com, one of those "cash for cars" places that have sprung up over the last few years.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Covered license plate pics Reply with quote

I live in one of the dumb states where the plate is supposed to stay with the car. What's worse, if the buyer doesn't finish the transfer process, (including passing smog) the vehicle DOES NOT change ownership with the DMV. Even if the buyer pays the transfer fee.

I got a STACK of toll tickets on a car I sold for parts because it could not pass smog. Then I got sued for impound charges when the car ended up being towed for whatever reason.

I had to spend a day in court to get the charges dismissed.

So, now, I take the plates off the car and return them to the DMV as done in other states I've lived. The buyer can get their own damn plates when they FINISH the transfer and register with the DMV.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: