Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My van is coming to a dead stop when driving
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
longhairedkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject: My van is coming to a dead stop when driving Reply with quote

I have a 1985 VW Vanagon auto trans. I recently replaced all the fuel lines and upon doing so I noticed a oil leak coming from underneath. I thought it might of been coming from the rear differential plate. I'm an idiot and didn't know a bunch of oil would come out. I figured, oh well, I'm doing an oil change anyways. Did the oil change, replaced the fuel lines, replaced the fuel injectors.
I drove it around town for about 10 miles and then into a parking garage. In the garage I heard some grinding noise, like clunking metal, then the van came to a dead stop. Almost as if the wheels locked in place. I put it in reverse and it seemed to have unlocked it but then again, dead stop nearly screeching the tires. I could rev the engine and basically had to have it floored to get it into. spot.

I got it towed to a mechanic and the same thing happened to him on a test drive. But then when he got it up on a lift everything worked fine.

Also, I should mention that, once again, I'm an idiot and didn't know that there is a difference between gear oil and motor oil. I put new motor oil in but didn't put in new gear oil So i'm pretty sure I was driving the rear differential dry.

The mechanic says he thinks I need a new transmission. But the tranny was rebuilt about 5 years ago already so I'm thinking if I just put gear oil in it then I'll be okay? Maybe flush the tranny fluid? I'm at a loss and worried I'm in over my head.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My van is coming to a dead stop when driving Reply with quote

If I was in your shoes, I would go buy a gallon of ~$25 75w90 gear oil from your local FLAPS (auto store). Fill your transaxle (google "Samba Vanagon fill gear oil" and read threads on how to do this) and try it out. If everything seems okay, then run it for like 100 miles, drain it, and put a new gallon of oil in there.

You should have known something was up when you drained oil from two different locations... but hey we all learn somehow.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My van is coming to a dead stop when driving Reply with quote

To clarify: You pulled the differential pan off, but didn't refill the gear oil?

If yes, then I'd remove the pan (get a new gasket) and inspect the differential (in fact, the shop should've done this while on the lift). If the differential looks good, put the pan back on and fill with gear oil:

kourt wrote:
Howdy,

Help us out a bit here: tell us if you're talking about the transmission or the differential. They are two separate entities.

Your differential will be properly filled if you do the following:

1. park on a level surface
2. open the fill plug on the passenger side with a 17mm hex tool
3. siphon out the old gear oil (check its quality and quantity--don't just throw it away)
4. pump in the new gear oil until it comes out of the fill plug hole
5. close the fill plug hole and check for leaks

I'm using Mobil 1 75w-90 gear lube with no problems. It is relatively clear and therefore shows ATF contamination very easily.

If you feel the differential pan gasket is leaking, drop the pan and replace the gasket. All the major van vendors sell replacements; I'm using the cork gasket right now with no problems. Thinner gaskets may call for a very thin coating of your favorite gasket maker compound on the contact surfaces of the pan and the differential.

Other sources of leaks: output flange seals, governor seal, back-to-back seals on pinion on transmission side, weep hole near diff/trans joint on the bottom of the unit, vents on top (if you are overfilled or foaming).

I hope this helps.

kourt

shagginwagon83 wrote:
If I was in your shoes, I would go buy a gallon of ~$25 75w90 gear oil from your local FLAPS (auto store). Fill your transaxle (google "Samba Vanagon fill gear oil" and read threads on how to do this) and try it out. If everything seems okay, then run it for like 100 miles, drain it, and put a new gallon of oil in there.

The automatic differential only requires around 1.3 quarts.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
longhairedkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: My van is coming to a dead stop when driving Reply with quote

Will removing the gear oil from the differential mess up the transmission?
Because that’s what I did and the mechanic said it’s the transmission that’s fucked.
When it’s on a level surface and I try to shift it into gear I don’t really feel it “drop in” to gear.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: My van is coming to a dead stop when driving Reply with quote

longhairedkid wrote:
Will removing the gear oil from the differential mess up the transmission?
Because that’s what I did and the mechanic said it’s the transmission that’s fucked.
When it’s on a level surface and I try to shift it into gear I don’t really feel it “drop in” to gear.

You have a transaxle - A Transaxle combines the transmission, differential, and ancillary systems around the axle into one integrated assembly. You will usually find transaxle configurations in cars where the engine is placed at the same end of the car as the drive wheels.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: My van is coming to a dead stop when driving Reply with quote

Am I reading this right?

You drained the gear lube out of the differential, didn't replace it, and now the trans is messed up and you're asking if draining the gear lube out without replacing it could be the cause?

The answer is a resounding 'Yes'. If you ever want to intentionally destroy a transaxle, do what you did.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: My van is coming to a dead stop when driving Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Am I reading this right?

You drained the gear lube out of the differential, didn't replace it, and now the trans is messed up and you're asking if draining the gear lube out without replacing it could be the cause?

The answer is a resounding 'Yes'. If you ever want to intentionally destroy a transaxle, do what you did.

Yeah Longhair, could you clarify what you did exactly? Unfortunately this is sounding like baaaad news.

If it's like Waldo is describing, you probably did fry your transmission, or at least the differential. But, given what you said about not knowing the difference between motor oil and gear oil I have to wonder if maybe you actually drained the automatic transmission fluid (red or pink in color). Even worse news.

You or the shop should have removed the differential fluid fill bolt to see whether you had low gear oil before doing anything else.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: My van is coming to a dead stop when driving Reply with quote

Most automatic transaxles share ATF between the transmission and differential and don't have a separate chamber for gear oil in the diff. At least the ones I'm familiar with. I might've been surprised too. It's always a good idea to read the manual.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...

Last edited by steve244 on Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: My van is coming to a dead stop when driving Reply with quote

If you put engine oil in a differential For 10 miles it’s fine. Rinse and do it right

If you put engine oil in an AT for ten miles it isn’t fine.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: My van is coming to a dead stop when driving Reply with quote

I think he ran the diff dry and it seized possibly damaging the transmission.

I'll light a candle.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: My van is coming to a dead stop when driving Reply with quote

The automatic section does not share fluid with the differential section. That said seals can fail and they will mix hypoid and ATF.

To the owner, I have been tripping over a used vanagon automatic differential section that I’d sell, but it weighs a ton so shipping would likely be more than the asking.

Certainly you can try and refill the differential and drive it, but in my experience and your description it’s toasted. Going forward you need to work with a shop that is familiar with these vw automatics.

Another option would be to purchase a complete automatic transaxle and ship yours back for core credit. This would be the quickest turn around and a task a competent shop could handle.

Good luck. PM if you end up trying to repair yours and need some hard parts.
longhairedkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: My van is coming to a dead stop when driving Reply with quote

So I did do basically exactly when Waldo said. I asked the mechanic if he put more gear oil in it and he said he didn’t need to because he “stuck his finger in it” and it had oil in it.

I am getting it towed back to my house tonight from the mechanic. Unfortunately, in Austin Texas there are not any Vanagon repair shops. One will recommend another and I end up calling all over town. Basically no one wants to touch old cars anymore here. I took it to a classic car mechanic and this is where I’m at.

I am going to drain the rear differential like some of you suggested and refill it and go from there. It’s a Hail Mary pass but if that doesn’t work then I don’t know what to do.

I’m 31 and this is my first vehicle I’ve ever owned. I’ve wanted one my entire life and only had this for a year. I hate myself for destroying my dream car.
I did replace many parts in it successfully myself (starter, spark plugs, fuel lines, alternator, distributor) but I guess I hit a point that I’m in over my head.

I’m sadly thinking the next step would be to sell this to someone who has more money and experience than me to fix it.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: My van is coming to a dead stop when driving Reply with quote

Download the VanAlert app and look for repair shops. Here are a couple of leads:

Austin VeeDub
Greg Black Auto
Cy's Car World II
Lesters shop
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My van is coming to a dead stop when driving Reply with quote

longhairedkid wrote:
So I did do basically exactly when Waldo said. I asked the mechanic if he put more gear oil in it and he said he didn’t need to because he “stuck his finger in it” and it had oil in it.

I am getting it towed back to my house tonight from the mechanic. Unfortunately, in Austin Texas there are not any Vanagon repair shops. One will recommend another and I end up calling all over town. Basically no one wants to touch old cars anymore here. I took it to a classic car mechanic and this is where I’m at.

I am going to drain the rear differential like some of you suggested and refill it and go from there. It’s a Hail Mary pass but if that doesn’t work then I don’t know what to do.

I’m 31 and this is my first vehicle I’ve ever owned. I’ve wanted one my entire life and only had this for a year. I hate myself for destroying my dream car.
I did replace many parts in it successfully myself (starter, spark plugs, fuel lines, alternator, distributor) but I guess I hit a point that I’m in over my head.

I’m sadly thinking the next step would be to sell this to someone who has more money and experience than me to fix it.

Deep breath. We will get you through this.

I doubt you killed anything in 10 miles, it was likeLy already bad.

Let’s see if we can find you a new diff if that’s needed.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My van is coming to a dead stop when driving Reply with quote

If the mechanic put his finger in the differential fill hole and it had enough oil that his finger touched it, you did not run the differential dry. Short of sucking the diff fluid out, you need to unbolt the pan from the differential to drain it. I don’t see where you removed any pans. It’s almost as complicated to drain the automatic section.

So, I doubt you messed anything up. There are coincidences, especially with 30 plus year old vehicles. Good luck getting it sorted.
longhairedkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My van is coming to a dead stop when driving Reply with quote

Thank you all so much for the support. I’m getting it towed home currently and will report back once I have time this week to take things apart. I’ll report back with an update. Smile
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My van is coming to a dead stop when driving Reply with quote

Like others just said, keep faith, you'll pull through. You don't know what's wrong yet. Before thinking of selling and whatnot, take the time to diagnose, see what's damaged, what's not, and go from there. One step at a time.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My van is coming to a dead stop when driving Reply with quote

time for pictures... take a picture and circle or point to where you've drained fluids, where the mechanic checked levels, and where you added fluid if anything.

we're only 7 mistakes ahead of you in terms of knowledge. the biggest factor in learning this stuff is perserverance. well, along with a credit card.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My van is coming to a dead stop when driving Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
time for pictures... take a picture and circle or point to where you've drained fluids, where the mechanic checked levels, and where you added fluid if anything.

we're only 7 mistakes ahead of you in terms of knowledge. the biggest factor in learning this stuff is perserverance. well, along with a credit card.
Well said Dan… Cool
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
longhairedkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My van is coming to a dead stop when driving Reply with quote

Just wanted to give everyone an update. The mechanic had a week off but was able to work on it today. He put new gear oil in it and took it out for a drive. Everything worked fine. No issues. Even took it on the highway for about 10 miles. I go and pick it up tomorrow morning. Only cost me $120 for an hour of labor.

Thank you all so much for your support and suggestions. This community is truly a blessing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: