Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need transmission front mount advice
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Need transmission front mount advice Reply with quote

I stand corrected. I guess I just haven't beat anything that hard.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Need transmission front mount advice Reply with quote

Cubey wrote:
dustymojave wrote:
Those frame horn gussets on the outboard side of the forks is factory stock for swingaxle Bugs. It's NOT an aftermarket add-on. Yep...drill through them for the mounting bolts.

Be sure to install the strap assembly so that the strap stands up vertical and touches the trans right where the main case meets the forward bearing carrier housing. Look t pictures for where that is. I've seen SO MANY cars with that strap installed entirely WRONG!. There's a buggy in my backyard right now waiting to be picked up by its owner which came here with that strap angled toward the low area in the top of the trans case and the nose cone destroyed. And it could NOT be tightened on the trans. So there were wear marks on the trans from the trans flopping against it.

Ensure that the strap is properly located before you drill the holes in the gussets.

Ah ok.

So, the pics with the red transmission (i think it's a swing axle) have it correct? Although some look like it's sitting wrong like you described. The first pic after the stock photo looks correct, i think? and the bottom view

Hmmm...Pics with the red trans? 1st pic pic after the stock photo? "the bottom view"?
Maybe you can post some links?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Need transmission front mount advice Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Cubey wrote:
dustymojave wrote:
Those frame horn gussets on the outboard side of the forks is factory stock for swingaxle Bugs. It's NOT an aftermarket add-on. Yep...drill through them for the mounting bolts.

Be sure to install the strap assembly so that the strap stands up vertical and touches the trans right where the main case meets the forward bearing carrier housing. Look t pictures for where that is. I've seen SO MANY cars with that strap installed entirely WRONG!. There's a buggy in my backyard right now waiting to be picked up by its owner which came here with that strap angled toward the low area in the top of the trans case and the nose cone destroyed. And it could NOT be tightened on the trans. So there were wear marks on the trans from the trans flopping against it.

Ensure that the strap is properly located before you drill the holes in the gussets.

Ah ok.

So, the pics with the red transmission (i think it's a swing axle) have it correct? Although some look like it's sitting wrong like you described. The first pic after the stock photo looks correct, i think? and the bottom view

Hmmm...Pics with the red trans? 1st pic pic after the stock photo? "the bottom view"?

My previous post to the one you quoted has the link, but here it is again: https://www.doghouserepair.com/store/item/3490/954...pi-4-bolt/
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Need transmission front mount advice Reply with quote

Cubey wrote:
dustymojave wrote:
Cubey wrote:
dustymojave wrote:

Ah ok.

My previous post to the one you quoted has the link, but here it is again: https://www.doghouserepair.com/store/item/3490/954...pi-4-bolt/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This strap is mounted WRONG. It should stand straight up and rest across the flange where the 2 parts of the trans housing meet. That is where the shaft bearings are located inside the trans and gives you direct transfer of loads to the strap. How that picture shows is how it was i the friend's buggy I mentioned above.

I'll try to get a picture of one properly installed to share on here.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Need transmission front mount advice Reply with quote

This one is installed correctly.

On a swingaxle car, the outboard bolts will have to pass through holes drilled through the yoke gussets.

Here is how I mounted them on a Baja recently using a non-padded strap and brackets I made:

I used a Harbor Freight bar stock bender to form the u-straps to weld in place.

https://www.harborfreight.com/compact-bender-38470.html?_br_psugg_q=metal+bender

The EMPI strap kit used for the above photos comes with a pair of very long bolts for drilling holes through the yoke to bolt the strap on. I find the holes for those bolts makes for a place for the yokes to break. And there are tubes inside the yokes for parking brakes and the hard fuel line. They can get damaged in drilling the yokes. Plus it takes a very long drill bit to get the holes lined up. It's a real PITA to line them up drilling from top and bottom.

You could use the same bender to form your own straps out of 1.5" x .250" bar stock.
SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: