Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with new distributor for stock 6-volt 1966 Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Help with new distributor for stock 6-volt 1966 Beetle Reply with quote

Your distributor should be set at idle, with the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged at the carb side.

SVA distributors use vacuum to advance the carb. The signal will not be correct to check max advance without load.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Help with new distributor for stock 6-volt 1966 Beetle Reply with quote

Wait a minute... You have a 111 905 205 M distributor? Are you sure that isn't a 113 905 205 M distributor? The first one (111 905 205 M) is a late 40 horse distributor designed to be used with a 28 PICT-1 carburetor. The second one (113 905 205 M) is a 1968 distributor for a 1500cc single port and would be a better match to a 30 PICT-1 carburetor. Timing advance may be quite delayed if you are using a 40 horse distributor with a later carburetor. That would negatively impact performance.

Stock for 1966 and 1967 Bugs would be the 113-905-205K distributor with a 30 PICT-1 carburetor. The details of the carb are slightly different between the 1300 ('66) and 1500 ('67). If yours has been bored out to a 1600 I would likely try to set up the carburetor and distributor to the 1967 specs, except 6 volt. Timing should be set at idle with the vacuum line disconnected and plugged. What it should be set to will be determined by what distributor you are using.
funkeefresh69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Help with new distributor for stock 6-volt 1966 Beetle Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
It's a 205M and just about the easiest to take apart, clean and reassemble.

Hey, Glenn I finally got around to taking the distributor off the engine. Turns out it is a Bosch 113905205K.

If I opt for a rebuilt, does it matter if it is M or K or will it operate more or less the same for my application?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Help with new distributor for stock 6-volt 1966 Beetle Reply with quote

The only difference is the K uses 2 piece points and the M uses 1 piece. Otherwise they are basically the same.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with new distributor for stock 6-volt 1966 Beetle Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
The only difference is the K uses 2 piece points and the M uses 1 piece. Otherwise they are basically the same.

I thought K was the correct one for '66 and '67 Bugs. My understanding is that M has more vacuum advance and was designed to be timed at TDC, while the older K has a little less advance and designed to be timed at 7.5 degrees before TDC.
Dangermouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with new distributor for stock 6-volt 1966 Beetle Reply with quote

funkeefresh69 wrote:
Anyone have positive experience with a PerTronix?

The general experience reported with Pertronix in a 6V system is that it's fine while running but causes significant hard starting problems as the electronic unit needs to see 5V to trigger a spark and the system voltage often falls below this while operating the starter motor.

Stick with points, they're all you need.
funkeefresh69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Help with new distributor for stock 6-volt 1966 Beetle Reply with quote

wdfifteen wrote:

Bill at Sparkswerks does a good job on distributors.

Thanks for help. In the end I abandoned the Pertronix solution and got a beautifully restored german distriubtor from Sparkworks (thanks wdfifteen Very Happy ).
By the way, this thing looked brand new and is performing great! I'll try and post a photo.

Again, thanks to this great community for the quick and thoughtful responses
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: