Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Permatex sealants
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
francoangellini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Permatex sealants Reply with quote

Hello,

What are the differences between these two perrmatex sealants?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by francoangellini on Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:26 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Permatex sealants Reply with quote

Let’s see ones in a tube the other a plastic bottle😀 I also see two different part numbers in 8000 series. Permatex website might give a better answer. I’m gonna look it up. I like the aviation permatex been using it four decades. That’s 40 years. I could buy three of them for what one tube of curil costs. One big difference is one says it dries hard. Aviation permatex doesn’t do that.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Permatex sealants Reply with quote

Aviation sealant also doesn’t setup fast…it’s the consistency of maple syrup

What are you trying to seal?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Permatex sealants Reply with quote

The one in the tube part # 80008 is Form-a-gasket #1 (hence that big red 1 on the label). It's density or specific gravity is 1.5.

The one in the bottle is form-a-gasket #3. Part #80019.

They are essentially the same chemical "formula"....except that the 80008 is a PASTE used for filling larger gaps like valve covers on watercooled cars.

The 80019 is a liquid. It flows out thinner like for use on an engine case. Its density or specific gravity is 1.1

Ray
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Permatex sealants Reply with quote

80019 works well in a large syringe….. think turkey injector. Available at every super market. …..For medical precision application 😁😁😁. Seriously. I always use a syringe now.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Permatex sealants Reply with quote

The stuff in the tube is thicker and sets harder then the aviation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Permatex sealants Reply with quote

The one in the bottle has a built in brush in the lid. I put that sh*t on everything.
francoangellini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Permatex sealants Reply with quote

In my country they do not sell aviation permatex bottle, assuming the same chemical formula, will it be possible to dilute the tube to transform it into something similar to sealing cases?....is it a viable idea?
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Permatex sealants Reply with quote

francoangellini wrote:
In my country they do not sell aviation permatex bottle, assuming the same chemical formula, will it be possible to dilute the tube to transform it into something similar to sealing cases?....is it a viable idea?
Simple answer, Absolutely Not! Search for the thread on sealing your case..there's lots of great information. Are you able to get Loctite 518? It's great for case halves.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Permatex sealants Reply with quote

Do not try to dilute the sealant in the tube. Typically the Thickening agents for sealers and adhesives are homogenized in at a level that is not easy to break down without damage to the sealant properties.

As jpaull noted, the thicker aviation #1 in the tube sets harder and less flexible.

There are MANY types of sealant that work just fine on the case.

In fact....you can do just as well on the case parting lines with a high quality RTV if it's applied very thin and evenly. Something very oil resistant like permatex ultra black or ultra copper.

Or you can use solvent based sealers like Permatex Moto-seal or Yamabond or Hondabond. The purpose of those type of sealants is that they are totally fuel and oil proof....and they have a high percentage of solvent that is designed to evaporate away so it aids in applying the sealer in a very thin and uniform manner.

Ray
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Permatex sealants Reply with quote

I've used the Aviation Form-a-Gasket for decades; never have tried the other.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Permatex sealants Reply with quote

Permatex motoseal #29132 is yamabond equivalent. Last motor I sealed with yamabond does not leak.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Permatex sealants Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I've used the Aviation Form-a-Gasket for decades; never have tried the other.

X2 I butter my bread with it😀 it’s cheap and available almost everywhere in the United States. I’ve even seen 3M weatherstrip adhesive used and it works.

The more expensive choices don’t seem to work any better but it sounds way more cool and authoritative when it comes up in conversation, kinda like using Gray Poupon instead of French’s.
Mmmm……
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Permatex sealants Reply with quote

The reason a lot of people don’t see better results with different sealants is all down to prep work. A case that has been well prepped and sealed with aviation sealant will hold up far better than a poorly prepped case with high end anaerobic sealants or top of the line RTVs (eg, Dow Corning, etc).

Here is an example of an engine I tore down. Looks like Loctite 574. Notice it is over 0.007” thick!!!! Shocked Shocked

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Janne71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Permatex sealants Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
The reason a lot of people don’t see better results with different sealants is all down to prep work. A case that has been well prepped and sealed with aviation sealant will hold up far better than a poorly prepped case with high end anaerobic sealants or top of the line RTVs (eg, Dow Corning, etc).

Here is an example of an engine I tore down. Looks like Loctite 574. Notice it is over 0.007” thick!!!! Shocked Shocked

Okay what thickness have form a gasket ? Loctite has as i think lower density than form … and should get minimal gap between cases
And the overfilling of loctite will splash out whit the oil and removes after oil change

Porsche use this shit to engine cases What could get wrong then. And I’ll think it’s glued and kept the strange together better. Maybe I have wrong but has used the loctite on one engine whit good results leakfree 😊
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Permatex sealants Reply with quote

Janne71 wrote:

Okay what thickness have form a gasket ? Loctite has as i think lower density than form … and should get minimal gap between cases
And the overfilling of loctite will splash out whit the oil and removes after oil change

Loctite 574 is designed to fill gaps up to 0.25mm (about 0.010 inches) between flanges. If your case isn’t flat or has high spots, there can be large gaps.

I always “stone” the parting surfaces to knock down the high spots. The closer they mate, the easier to seal.

A typical whetstone works well, but I use a diamond lapping plate because it leaves less grit behind. Kerosene or WD40 work well to keep the stone from packing up.

Janne71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Permatex sealants Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Janne71 wrote:

Loctite 574 is designed to fill gaps up to 0.25mm (about 0.010 inches) between flanges.

Yes up to yes but, with really fine cases you’d not have that gap between them
Question is what FORM…. Is building the gap It’s have higher density then loctite
That should give you bigger gap between cases and not get its tight then loctite with lower density. Maybe I have wrong there about density Rolling Eyes
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Permatex sealants Reply with quote

It has nothing to do with the density of the sealant. In fact, it has nothing to do with the sealant at all. It’s the case. Wink

Whoever put this engine together before me just spread some sealant on the case halves and bolted it together without paying any attention to the condition of the mating surfaces.

Little dings in the case cause the material to displace and push up. Around every small ding is a high spot. It doesn’t take much to do on soft magnesium or aluminum cases. All you have to do is just bump it with a harder material, and the material will displace and push up around the point of contact.

The whole point is, all the talk of sealant viscosity, etc, is totally irrelevant unless your case halves are actually nice and flat.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Permatex sealants Reply with quote

I bought some permatex #1 once just to see what it was.
I haven't find a use for it yet.
It dries hard, UNLIKE 2,3,300 which dry to a sugary dried syrup consistency.
balljoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Permatex sealants Reply with quote

Wasn't some guys saying lately that the 3H was drying hard and maybe the formula was changed?

I had bad experience recently with it on an oil pump and probably will never use it anywhere except for the main stud o rings.

65 rhd Beetle
72 rhd kombi
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: