Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing Seat Adjustment Lever
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tri356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Removing Seat Adjustment Lever Reply with quote

Hi,

As part of getting my seats reupholstered, I'd love to get the seat adjustment lever rechromed. When the seats were redone many years ago, the frames, along with the arm, were just repainted. Take a look at the following photos:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The picture show what I believe is the pin holding the lever to the rest of the assembly - I'm assuming after factory installation, those holes were just ground smooth. This way, the arm could be chromed, while the rest of the assembly could be zinc-plated?

Could someone who's done this before confirm? I don't see any roll pins, as has been mentioned before. And, I don't see any other pins that could be punched out.

Thanks for the guidance.

Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Disc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: removing seat adjustment lever Reply with quote

You guessed the correct way to disassemble the lever.
tri356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: removing seat adjustment lever Reply with quote

Well, they really can be disassembled:

This was a 2 person job - one holding the frame with all of it's sharp points (seat vinyl/cloth was already removed) and the other pounding out the little pins. It seemed that filing the edges of the pin may have helped loosen the pin, before hitting it with a punch. We filed from both sides. The other thought was to hit it with some heat but we didn't try that.

I'm not sure why the pins originally were peened and then ground so smooth. It doesn't seem that there'd be any obstruction but I'll probably try the same thing upon assembly.

Any ideas on what type of plating should be used on the middle piece - the tooth like piece of metal? Zinc? Or cad?

Thanks,
Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tri356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: removing seat adjustment lever Reply with quote

Alright, it's finally all back together again:

Those dowel pins holding the 3 pieces together were a pain. I'm not sure what type of steel was originally used, but the pins I bought (4140 steel) were way too hard. Even with a properly shaped dolly and a big hammer, they were really tough to peen. In retrospect, aluminum pins would have been the way to go.

Mike
Tall Bloke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: removing seat adjustment lever Reply with quote

Good Job - I have previously looked at re-chroming the lever, could you of drilled the pin out or was the material too hard ?
tri356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: removing seat adjustment lever Reply with quote

It's possible that drilling could have worked. That actually could have been a better solution to try (make a mark in the middle of the pin with a punch, center your drill on that mark), since I bent a couple of punches trying to get these pins out using my method Smile.

Mike
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: