Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jack Stand Points
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
elieth792
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Jack Stand Points Reply with quote

Hey all. Been looking for some info on where to place my hydraulic jack under my 1990 Golf and where exactly to put 4 jack stands. This is just for the winter so my tires don't go flat on one side - not working on/under the car.

I am attaching a photo of the jacks I have - should I put a block on top between the jack stand top and the underside of the car at these points? Also attaching the pages from the manual that say not to jack up the car under the front or rear which would have been the easiest thing to do but not if it's gonna wreak havoc on the car. I'm guessing the photo with the round section is what the manual is suggesting as a jack point other than the ridge that runs along the edges of the car. Have a hydraulic rolling jack from Harbor Freight if that's helpful.

Thanks for any help!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack Stand Points Reply with quote

Over inflate the tires by 15psi and leave it on the ground.

Been doing that for years and never had a problem

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Stand Points Reply with quote

The factory jack points tend to bend unless using a factory jack, or some sort of adapter that simulates the head of the factory jack.

Just use the subframe in the front, & the outer ends of the beam in the rear.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TornadoRed06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack Stand Points Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I do not like those stands you have, the heads in specific.
They are good to go on curved surfaces but in this case you don't have that many, I do not advise you to lift your car and have these stands under the ridges running along the car on both sides. I never used the onboard factory jack and at home only use an overkill 5 Ton hidraulic jack to lift these cars.

At the front, you can use the round section and like previously mentioned, at the rear use the outer ends of the axle.
Also, I always use a small timber pad or when possible a small sturdy steel pad that I know will not make any damages to the body.

For the job you have in mind, timber blocks are one of your best friends!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: