Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Happy Thanksgiving!
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:36 pm    Post subject: Happy Thanksgiving! Reply with quote

Wishing you all a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving! Best Wishes, Bob
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving! Reply with quote

Happy Thanksgiving
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving! Reply with quote

On September 16, 1619 the Margaret left Bristol, England headed to Jamestowne Virginia. She sailed under a Captain John Woodlief. She sailed into the Chesapeake Bay November 28, 1619, and berthed at Jamestowne on December 4th, 1619. The captain opened sealed orders to him, the crew, and 37 passengers from the Virginia Company of London. The orders read that they were to dedicate the day to giving thanks unto the Lord for their blessing of a safe passage across the Atlantic, and to give thanks every year at the same time in perpetuity. The first Thanksgiving was December 5th, 1619 at Berkeley Plantation at Berkeley Hundred in Virginia.

In 1621 the Mayflower left England headed for Jamestowne, Virginia with passengers made up of new arrivals to the New World, and some from Jamestowne who were returning to Virginia. A series of hurricanes and storms forced them way off course and late in the year, low on provisions they made landfall at Plymouth Rock. They made the decision to build a place to stay over winter rather than try to make Virginia. In the spring they decided to petition the Crown of England to make a permanent colony at Plymouth. The English Lords, and Crown, said to effect, "we have been trying to make a settlement in the north and no one has been interested in financing it, but since they are already there, sure by all means let them stay and grant them the colony." Thus Plymouth was born. They followed the Virginia custom of giving thanks just as they did in Virginia.

After the Civil War, the North claimed Thanksgiving for itself as a holiday and Lincoln made it a national holiday. But the truth is, it was a Virginia custom because of the order given to Captain John Woodlief.

So, yes, my family was in VA in 1619, Humfrey Kent arrived aboard The George in spring of 1619 to be with his mother who had arrived as early as 1610 during The Starving Times. And as is custom I wish all of you the best day possible to give thanks for all the good things in life you have had this year. May you enjoy the time with your families and loved ones, as people of this land have done since 1619, and likely before. My people are both of Scottish and Cherokee (Likely Pamuakey) & Plains ancestry, and we give thanks for all we have. If your bay VW runs well, give thanks for that too. If it does not, give thanks for all you have gotten done on it this year. God Bless.

Quote:
Wee ordaine that the day of our ships arrivall at the place assigned for plantation in the land of Virginia shall be yearly and perpetually keept holy as a day of thanksgiving to Almighty god.

Last edited by SGKent on Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving! Reply with quote

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving! Reply with quote

Happy Thanksgiving all. I’m going to enjoy my first Thanksgiving weekend off in 30 years. Aloha Cool

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving! Reply with quote

Enjoy the Day 'Volks'
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving! Reply with quote

Thanks to all who made my life cheerier and better and may I try to do the same. Thanks to Maddie Dog for 16 years of love and Husky fur

hobthebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving! Reply with quote

Happy Thanksgiving! I'm thankful for my beautiful family.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving! Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
On September 16, 1619 the Margaret left Bristol, England headed to Jamestowne Virginia. She sailed under a Captain John Woodlief. She sailed into the Chesapeake Bay November 28, 1619, and berthed at Jamestowne on December 4th, 1619. The captain opened sealed orders to him, the crew, and 37 passengers from the Virginia Company of Virginia. The orders read that they were to dedicate the day to giving thanks unto the Lord for their blessing of a safe passage across the Atlantic, and to give thanks every year at the same time in perpetuity. The first Thanksgiving was December 5th, 1619 at Berkeley Plantation at Berkeley Hundred in Virginia.

In 1621 the Mayflower left England headed for Jamestowne, Virginia with passengers made up of new arrivals to the New World, and some from Jamestowne who were returning to Virginia. A series of hurricanes and storms forced them way off course and late in the year, low on provisions they made landfall at Plymouth Rock. They made the decision to build a place to stay over winter rather than try to make Virginia. In the spring they decided to petition the Crown of England to make a permanent colony at Plymouth. The English Lords, and Crown, said to effect, "we have been trying to make a settlement in the north and no one has been interested in financing it, but since they are already there, sure by all means let them stay and grant them the colony." Thus Plymouth was born. They followed the Virginia custom of giving thanks just as they did in Virginia.

After the Civil War, the North claimed Thanksgiving for itself as a holiday and Lincoln made it a national holiday. But the truth is, it was a Virginia custom because of the order given to Captain John Woodlief.

So, yes, my family was in VA in 1619, Humfrey Kent arrived aboard The George in spring of 1619 to be with his mother who had arrived as early as 1610 during The Starving Times. And as is custom I wish all of you the best day possible to give thanks for all the good things in life you have had this year. May you enjoy the time with your families and loved ones, as people of this land have done since 1619, and likely before. My people are both of Scottish and Cherokee (Likely Pamuakey) & Plains ancestry, and we give thanks for all we have. If your bay VW runs well, give thanks for that too. If it does not, give thanks for all you have gotten done on it this year. God Bless.

Quote:
Wee ordaine that the day of our ships arrivall at the place assigned for plantation in the land of Virginia shall be yearly and perpetually keept holy as a day of thanksgiving to Almighty god.

Very cool read, thank you!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: