Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Regular or Premium Fuel?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VincentDC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Regular or Premium Fuel? Reply with quote

Hello,

Can I use regular unleaded in the Eurovan? I’ve seen data on the internet suggesting yes, but also see that premium is recommended? Can I get away with just using regular 87 octane? I ask because CA prices are ridiculous but I still want to purchase a EV.

Thank you!
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Regular or Premium Fuel Reply with quote

I am yet to put premium in my Eurovan- 1995, so the 5 cylinder, all later models are a different motor.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Regular or Premium Fuel Reply with quote

You can burn 87 in the later VR6 engine if you drive it like an adult. I go to 93 when I tow the beast , otherwise it’s 87…

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Regular or Premium Fuel Reply with quote

Most modern EFI cars with computers have multiple maps to deal with grades of fuel.

You'll bet better performance with a higher grade of fuel but it will run with a lower grade... just lower performance.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VincentDC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Regular or Premium Fuel Reply with quote

Thank you all for your input! Very Happy
VolksVelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Regular or Premium Fuel Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You can burn 87 in the later VR6 engine if you drive it like an adult. I go to 93 when I tow the beast , otherwise it’s 87…

Optical illusion? Either you have a very big boat or a special tiny Eurovan model.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Regular or Premium Fuel Reply with quote

Mid grade at the least in our 2002 EVC. Premium for heavy loads and/or hot weather. Anything lower knocks/pings and performance and fuel economy goes down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Regular or Premium Fuel Reply with quote

When I looked into this sometime back, I came across Pop Top Heaven's input on the subject:

---------------------------------------
Fuel Requirements

Premium vs lower grade fuels in the Eurovan. The bottom line is fuel economy. if you use premium fuel in your Eurovan, you will get better gas mileage (up to 38% increase in MPG over using 87 Octane). Eurovans have an Electronic Control Module computer that will adjust the engine to help maintain the best performance based on the quality of fuel in the tank. The use of premium is recommended for these engines to achieve top performance and fuel economy, but it is not required.

---------------------------------------

from here:
https://www.poptopheaven.com/about_campers.asp

If I recall correctly, I think I also found something indicating they did some actual firsthand tests and data collection on the MPG differences as well, but I may be incorrect about that.

FWIW...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Regular or Premium Fuel Reply with quote

You can burn regular but you will not save any money due to the decrease of mpgs
Endopotential
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Regular or Premium Fuel Reply with quote

To argue the contrary -

Higher octane does prevent knock and can improve performance, but doesn't improve mpg

Google's gotta be right, no?

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a28565486/honda-cr-v-vs-bmw-m5-ford-f-150-dodge-charger/
"Raising the octane rating (also known as the anti-knock index) doesn't change the energy content of a gallon of gasoline. A higher octane rating indicates greater resistance to knock, the early combustion of the fuel-air mixture that causes cylinder pressure to spike. When higher-octane fuel is flowing through its injectors, the engine controller can take advantage of the elevated knock threshold and dial in more aggressive timing and higher boost pressures to improve performance."[/url]

https://www.verifythis.com/article/news/verify/mon...1cb1e04763

https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-articles-eg/high-o...leage.html
hmbrgrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Regular or Premium Fuel Reply with quote

changing timing to avoid knock can impact efficiency significantly.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Regular or Premium Fuel Reply with quote

Just noting that all this stuff about computers adjusting to octane rating and so forth only applies to vr6 gassers. The 5 cylinder is digifant and it self adjusts nothing to my knowledge. I welcome being corrected.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Regular or Premium Fuel Reply with quote

Quote:
mileage (up to 38% increase in MPG over using 87 Octane).

No.

Quote:
Raising the octane rating (also known as the anti-knock index) doesn't change the energy content of a gallon of gasoline.

No. In fact , higher octane has lower fuel value than lower octane
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Regular or Premium Fuel Reply with quote

VolksVelo wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Optical illusion? Either you have a very big boat or a special tiny Eurovan model.

Rear perspective. She is a 26 footer but much lighter than she looks. Total package under 3000 pounds
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Regular or Premium Fuel Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Just noting that all this stuff about computers adjusting to octane rating and so forth only applies to vr6 gassers. The 5 cylinder is digifant and it self adjusts nothing to my knowledge. I welcome being corrected.

The ACU (95 5 cylinder) at least has a knock sensor, I think the earlier engines do not. If it has a knock sensor, it'll be using it to optimize ignition timing for the available fuel quality.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Regular or Premium Fuel? Reply with quote

I have run 1000s of miles tracking mpgs of the high and low octane fuels. It defiantly makes a difference. I am one that preaches not using high octane in low compression engines. But with the VR6 this is not the case. ~19 vs 16 mpg between the 2. With low oct you have to push deeper into the throttle to get the same acceleration.
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Regular or Premium Fuel? Reply with quote

MrPulldown wrote:
I have run 1000s of miles tracking mpgs of the high and low octane fuels. It defiantly makes a difference. I am one that preaches not using high octane in low compression engines. But with the VR6 this is not the case. ~19 vs 16 mpg between the 2. With low oct you have to push deeper into the throttle to get the same acceleration.

Yep. I run high octane in my EV.
JFBx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Regular or Premium Fuel? Reply with quote

Something to remember (especially for the "....but, but the VW engineers!" crowd). The 24v engine is designed assuming high octane gas will be used. Relying on the knock sensor is unwise because it reacts after the fact.

(That said, I did indeed drop from 93 to 91 during fill-ups due to the recent price spike to save a few dollars.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqvhaPLuTPI
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Regular or Premium Fuel? Reply with quote

My 2 cents.If I use reg gas my van breaks down so I use hi test.My van sits for long periods of time, so that's probably why. Its a 93 w 108 HP engine.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Regular or Premium Fuel? Reply with quote

Unless your engine was designed to use premium fuel, you're throwing your money away. The cost differential never makes it economical to use higher octane when it isn't necessary. In fact, I recently got 2 mpg LESS using premium instead of regular and it was pure gas. I only got it because premium was the same price due to an oversight at the gas station. E85 is another joke.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: