Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct Anti-Sway Bar
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2067Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Correct Anti-Sway Bar Reply with quote

Can anyone say which is the correct anti-sway bar for an all-stock original 1957 beetle sedan shown in AD 2521230?

Thank you.
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Anti-Sway Bar Reply with quote

Didnt come factory til , the 60 model year.

http://oacdp.org/progref4061/v009.jpg

That said, ive seen a bunch of pre 60 cars with them, so its possible that there was a tsb from the factory, or they were added after the fact.

For reference...

Here is a pic of my 7/58 that sat from 72 til 95 when I bought it. So, if it was added it was added prior to 72. Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2067Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Anti-Sway Bar Reply with quote

Stale Air - thanks for the information and pictures. I believe that in AD ID 2521230, the second sway bar from the bottom up is correct for the 57 Bug.
2067Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Anti-Sway Bar Reply with quote

Can anyone identify the correct anti-sway bar in AD ID 2521230?

Thanks for taking a second look.

Ad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2521230
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Anti-Sway Bar Reply with quote

all of the pre 60 bugs Ive seen with a 'factory' sway bar had two dips in the bar to clear the lower beam bolt. Ive had 3 cars with this type of sway bar, 57, 58 and an early 59. Maybe they all were JCW add ons but that is the only time Ive seen the double dip bars
2067Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Anti-Sway Bar Reply with quote

AlteWagen- Thanks for the additional information. My understanding is that there are anti-sway bars for early 6-volt ball-joint beetles and ones for link and king pin beetles. The seller in the AD is unsure which one is correct for a 57 Oval and I'm also unsure. I'm still hopeful that one of our VW experts can look at the AD and identify the correct anti-sway bar.

Thanks
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Anti-Sway Bar Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
all of the pre 60 bugs Ive seen with a 'factory' sway bar had two dips in the bar to clear the lower beam bolt. Ive had 3 cars with this type of sway bar, 57, 58 and an early 59. Maybe they all were JCW add ons but that is the only time Ive seen the double dip bars

I had a '59 that had the same sway bar that you describe. I have no idea the origin of it but the car it was on had several dealer and non dealer accessories on it so it probably was installed early in its lifetime.

The first time a front sway bar is seen is in the '60 model year owners manual and it shows the garden variety straight bar. I don't think the one with the dips was a VW part.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
rich caramadre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Anti-Sway Bar Reply with quote

the swaybar with the dips were used on 58' & 59' Karmann Ghia's.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Anti-Sway Bar Reply with quote

rich caramadre wrote:
the swaybar with the dips were used on 58' & 59' Karmann Ghia's.

Ah, that makes sense. It's interesting that the '58 and '59 owners manuals don't mention it and there is one lone picture of the suspension that shows a sway bar. You can see that it it bent much higher and runs parallel to the lower torsion tube, hence the dips. No pictures of the dips though.

2067Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Anti-Sway Bar Reply with quote

This is a baffling conversation, so I welcome anyone to click on the add below and guess which anti-sway bar is correct for a stock 57 oval front beam.

Thanks again.

Ad
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Anti-Sway Bar Reply with quote

2067Bug wrote:
This is a baffling conversation, so I welcome anyone to click on the add below and guess which anti-sway bar is correct for a stock 57 oval front beam.

Thanks again.

Ad

The issue is you keep saying 'correct' and I think you are looking for is what will fit.

If you are going to put a sway bar use the HD 3/4 in version as the stock one leaves much to be desired.

http://carcraftstore.com/swaybar-frontkandlorballjointstd.aspx
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Anti-Sway Bar Reply with quote

Here is the ghia part

Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Anti-Sway Bar Reply with quote

Maybe these pictures will help.
https://www.csp-shop.com/en/front-axle/sway-bar/beetle-not-13021303/

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Anti-Sway Bar Reply with quote

The bottom line is, there is no "correct" sway bar for a '57. They didn't make them then. The closest thing would be to obtain one of the early Ghia sway bars. At least they were available in the last couple of years in the 50s and would probably be the only thing available at that time. Somebody looking for a sway bar in the late 50's would have had to go with this option so it is period correct for an early modification, just not the year your car was made. It will be a challenge to find one though as they were only used for two years on the Karmann Ghia which was made in much smaller numbers than the Beetle. Any '60 through '65 sway bar will fit with no modifications. So if you want one for improved cornering, just get a '60 -'65 sway bar and be happy with it.

Last edited by splitjunkie on Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Anti-Sway Bar Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Here is the ghia part

Cool drawing, although if I remember correctly, they "dips" around the beam mounting bolts were much more pronounced.

Found a picture in another thread.

I did find some pictures in the Bentley 1952 -1957 manual reprint that shows the ends of the sway bar and actually shows removal and installation for the Ghia. So it might have been installed on the '57 Ghia as well, although the manual that they used as the source could have been a later revision. Progressive Refinements should show the introduction date for the Ghia but only lists it for the Beetle as being for the '60 model year..

2003nbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Anti-Sway Bar Reply with quote

My 1957 bug has an anti-sway bar, as best as I can remember it was on the car when I bought it in 1973. I rebuilt the front axle in 1978 and do not recall adding the sway bar. I have spoken to the original owner and one of the other two previous owners and it is unlikely either one of them had it added. It was a tourist delivery car.
Is it possible some of the front axle sub-assemblies built for Ghias were diverted to the sedan chassis assembly lines on an occasion (maybe extras)? In any case I'm not sure how this car got one - factory or otherwise. See photo, it has the two "dips".

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Anti-Sway Bar Reply with quote

I suspect there was a separate line for building Ghia floor pans. Since the only thing different on a Ghia floor pan are the pan halfs and shifter and sway bar, at least at this point, I would think that all of the engines, transmissions, front ends would have all been built in the same place all of the others were built and transported to the line for the Ghia pans.

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Anti-Sway Bar Reply with quote

I just looked at the owners manuals and there is clearly an anti sway bar in the pictures in the 8/55, '56 model year Ghia owners manual so it looks like the Ghias got sway bars from the beginning.

That being the case, then the double dip Ghia sway bar would be the most correct one for a '56 - '59 Beetle as it was an available part.

2067Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Anti-Sway Bar Reply with quote

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the expert advice and talking time to respond. I'll be looking for a double-dip sway bar.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: