Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Price of a Ghia
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Price of a Ghia Reply with quote

I have never owned a ghia but have always wanted one, I now own a 71 and a 72 S/B.
I found a beautiful 68 Ghia [inside and out], same owner since 1972, it looks like it just rolled off the show room floor, I have never seen one in this nice of condition [no pic's yet.]

But he is asking $35,000 for it. I had no idea they were selling that high, but I have not priced one in over 25 years or so.

I really like this one, but when I see at bug shows they always judge up too 1967 then 1968 and up. would one before 1968 be more collectable ? or does it matter on the Ghia's, and does the $35,000 sound outrages for a nice 68 ? Thanks for any comments.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Price of a Ghia Reply with quote

This is only my opinion, but when I look at the collectability of Ghias, I group them like this

56-59
(60 is kind of in between these first two groups, as it has some lowlight aspects and some non-lowlight aspects)
61-66
67-71
72-74

You'll also find that those groupings coincide with the major design changes in the life of the Ghia

As for pricing, Bring a Trailer is a good resource. You can see auction results from the last few years

https://bringatrailer.com/volkswagen/karmann-ghia/?q=karmann%20ghia

$35k for a 68 wouldn't be outrageous if it's actually in mint factory survivor condition, but it would be the high end for that year IMO. But if you're not familiar with Ghias, you can easily be taken because it's all in the details - details that most folks aren't familiar with. Best to post many detailed pics here and the experts here will tear it apart for you

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Price of a Ghia Reply with quote

Thank you Era for that helpful information. esp the chart.
I have owned many VW bugs over the years, don't know why I waited so long in life for a Ghia, but, I gotta have one.
I'll try and post some pic's in the next day or two.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Price of a Ghia Reply with quote

A solid, rust free car in excellent condition is worth more than an older one that is not as nice.

Ghia's are VERY expensive to have rust and body work done on.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Price of a Ghia Reply with quote

Thanks Glenn, I will be looking for any rust.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Price of a Ghia Reply with quote

You could get a nice late 60s Ghia in above average shape for less than 15k. People spending 35k keep those cars in garages and rarely drive them. Is that you? If not, then get a solid driver for 15k.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Price of a Ghia Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
You could get a nice late 60s Ghia in above average shape for less than 15k. People spending 35k keep those cars in garages and rarely drive them. Is that you? If not, then get a solid driver for 15k.

Thanks Tom, but where do you find one like that ? I live in Ga. and a lot of those type cars are in Calif. or AZ, ETC. where do you look for these $15,000 solid drivers ? I would love to find one, would you use Hemmings, ebay, or where ?

I do keep my two bugs in the garage, but I do drive them a couple of times a week, and I do keep them looking as good as I can, [not show cars].

Thanks for the reply.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Price of a Ghia Reply with quote

Unfortunately, due to the rarity, you will be hard pressed to find one locally.
I would suggest trying to find one at a show but I only see two or three Ghias at shows I've attended and none of those are for sale. Furthermore, there are no VW shows in GA. The ones I enter are in Tennessee or Florida.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Price of a Ghia Reply with quote

From time to time, some great cars and great deals come across ebay. But most of the time, you'll see the same cars over and over being offered by dealers. Ignore them and watch for nice cars being sold by real owners.

Check seller' profiles. You want to find a seller who is the private owner of the car and is willing to offer up details about his/her car. Look for a comparatively low number of feedbacks and check what else they are selling and if you see 4 or 5 listings for cars, they are probably just flipping cars.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Price of a Ghia Reply with quote

Here is one in your neck of the woods:
https://staugustine.craigslist.org/cto/d/saint-augustine-1970-vw-karmann-ghia/7560075039.html

But be patient. Program Craigslist to give you a notification if any Ghia is up for sale within 500 mikes of you. Then be prepared to look at 3 or 4 before you buy. Time spent searching is much better than that same time fixing unexpected surprises.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Price of a Ghia Reply with quote

jeffrey,
You have one beautiful Ghia.
I did go to one bug show in Tenn. several years ago, I then just had my 72 super.

At that time I was not looking for a Ghia. but there were many reg. bugs and 'Things' for sale. I guess I'll just have to keep looking.

I thank everyone for the great info. and comments. Wink
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Price of a Ghia Reply with quote

lboos wrote:
jeffrey,
You have one beautiful Ghia.
I did go to one bug show in Tenn. several years ago, I then just had my 72 super.

At that time I was not looking for a Ghia. but there were many reg. bugs and 'Things' for sale. I guess I'll just have to keep looking.

I thank everyone for the great info. and comments. Wink

Just to underline what has already been said, when you find a promising Ghia run it past The Samba experts here before you make a commitment to buy. They are very good at spotting any suspect areas and could save you $$$$$.

Good hunting. Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toddb_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Price of a Ghia Reply with quote

They are out there. Just keep an eye out and be willing to drive a little to go see a good one. This one is in your neck of the woods.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2585106
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714683
1974 Karmann Ghia- current project, 1967cc engine. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775207
“I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.” - Dudley Field Malone
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Price of a Ghia Reply with quote

Karmann Ghia prices have been on a strong upward trajectory for a few years now.
Coupe or convertible?
$35k might not be outrageous especially if it’s a convertible.
Coupe price may be at the top end of the scale.
As with any collector car if what you’re looking at is unmolested factory original $35k could be a fair price regardless.
We would love to see pics if you get a chance.😎

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Price of a Ghia Reply with quote

kingkarmann,
The one I'm looking at is a coupe, it's regatta blue. I'll have the pic's tue or wed
if it don't rain wed, and will post them.

Your red convertible is outstanding, is the blue coupe yours also ?
Two great looking Ghia's.

I'm not able to travel at this time so I'm limited to the Ghia's I can insp. in person, and you don't see many air cooled vw's of any kind around here.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Price of a Ghia Reply with quote

lboos wrote:
kingkarmann,
The one I'm looking at is a coupe, it's regatta blue. I'll have the pic's tue or wed
if it don't rain wed, and will post them.

Your red convertible is outstanding, is the blue coupe yours also ?
Two great looking Ghia's.

I'm not able to travel at this time so I'm limited to the Ghia's I can insp. in person, and you don't see many air cooled vw's of any kind around here.

Regatta is a beautiful color.
The blue 67 coupe is mine.
The original factory color was Olympic Blue. Similar to a Regatta.
I’m in OhIo so I understand the scarcity of these cars.
Keep us updated 😎

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: