Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Input on Type 4 stroker build
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Input on Type 4 stroker build Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:

Some mockups- had to narrow the tin and shorten the breastplate. Still need to work on the rear sections. Exhaust will be routed forward and the down the left side, ceramic coated to help reduce heat transfer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is a really clean conversion. Nice work! Cool Cool Cool

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Input on Type 4 stroker build Reply with quote

Nice. Thanks man. That's exactly what I was hoping for. Nice to know there's options.

Mikey
'73 Pop-top Westy, found sitting in a field for 10+ years, cleaned up, rebuilt furniture, reloved. Original 1.7 block/fully polished crank, 93mm 1.8L balanced AA pistons & cylinders, new 1.8L balanced rods, HAM 42/36 heads, Scat C25 cam & lubalobe lifters, Dual HPMX40s, R2C filters w/ Outerwears pre-filters, functioning thermostat & flaps, Pertronix Flamethrower III, 4-1 exhaust w/ Cherry Bomb 2" turbo muffler & OEM heater boxes, averages about 19-22ish on the highway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Input on stroker build Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
2017cc with EFI and crankfire... in a bus.

Always fun, and useful when people completely ignore the question. Laughing

(nice looking engine though!)

Altrup wrote:
2. With that in mind 40 x 34 mm valves are the largest I would recommend.

Depending on your goals, and your budget, one way to do the above (almost) is to use 1.8l "S" heads which have 41 x 34 valves. There is something about those heads which work really well, port shape and chamber shape, they don't seem to fail like some of the other T4 heads and they're set up for 94mm bore. If you find a good rebuildable (not getting easier, but they're out there) set you can get very decent heads without spending ~$2.5K. The "S" heads are my go to for building mild Bus engines. If you have and want to spend the $ on heads there are some great options.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Input on Type 4 stroker build Reply with quote

Overfilling the engine till the oil reaches the lifters is a very good way to ensure that the rings wohnt seat properly for a long time, perhaps never due to too much oil coming up on the back side of the rings.
Donīt do that. Lube the cam and lifters properly. Make sure the oil pump has picked up the oil and has volume on the pressure side. Make sure the ignition timing is correct and make sure the carbs have fuel. If this is done right the engine will start in 5 seconds or so. Bring it up to 2000 rpms immediately and hold it there for the first 5 minutes or so until there is heat in the engine. Then incresase to 2500 and leave it for 15 minutes. End of story.
Agree on dumping the oil after the initial break in or max 30 minutes in (approx) Use a good dino oil with a proper additive package for the next 3-500 miles. Drive it fresh once its warmed up. Remember, too rich is about as bad as too lean because it reduces the ability for the rings to seat.
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Input on Type 4 stroker build Reply with quote

Alstrup, sorry but was your reply meant for a different post? Was kinda scratching my head on it.... although I completely agree with it all.

Mikey
'73 Pop-top Westy, found sitting in a field for 10+ years, cleaned up, rebuilt furniture, reloved. Original 1.7 block/fully polished crank, 93mm 1.8L balanced AA pistons & cylinders, new 1.8L balanced rods, HAM 42/36 heads, Scat C25 cam & lubalobe lifters, Dual HPMX40s, R2C filters w/ Outerwears pre-filters, functioning thermostat & flaps, Pertronix Flamethrower III, 4-1 exhaust w/ Cherry Bomb 2" turbo muffler & OEM heater boxes, averages about 19-22ish on the highway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Input on Type 4 stroker build Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
For you fellows that are talking diesel heaters for the cabin, how are you tying them in to the defrost system for the windows? The stock gas heater did not do that either and still depended on the engine heat for the windshield. I am a big fan of seeing where I am going...

Every time this topic comes up this diesel heater thing is thrown out there like it's the cat's a$$ solution but it gets all quiet when defrosting the windshield comes up.

If there is a will there is a way. Buses may be more difficult to tie into the factory system than my car. The original gas heater vent would only require a plenum to connect new ducts to the original hoses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Input on Type 4 stroker build Reply with quote

I just noticed this post about T-4 cooling. Keep in mind that it was in 1989 when I built the engine I am still driving. It has never been remove for any issue. I just adjust my valves and keep going. I know guys think nearing 300,000 miles is crazy, but driving it 70 a day to Manhattan for 21 years and local driving till now. Starting in 1989... My T-1 blew up and the T-4 was in my garage waiting for the spring to install. Well had to do it before in winter. OK over heating issues never . I had to figure out why I could not reach 170 running temps in the summer. The heads are 1/3 larger then T-1 heads and dissipate more heat faster. Keep in mind a 2.0 T-4 is hardly working pushing a light bug. I put in a 90c thermostat and that solved my problem on 90f days can reach 110 in the summer. Go to Joe Cali Magnetic Shields on you tube. and the first thing you will see and hear is my T-4 bug coming at you on New Years Eve 2022 on a very cold night on a lake.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+magnetic+shield
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Input on Type 4 stroker build Reply with quote

When you go to the video pull the curser to back to the beginning if the bug does not come at you and it starts with me. My first video so have mercy. Ha.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Input on Type 4 stroker build Reply with quote

BTW the exhaust is the same I bought from Justkemper in the UK in the early 1990s. Notice the welding job on both pipes. The muffler was for a bug and was 6" to long on each side so cut out 6" and rewelded it.

Had a Thunderbird from a bus the rotted away. It is Stainless Steel .

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: