Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Got a spare Subaru EJ253 in the garage... what to do?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:35 pm    Post subject: Got a spare Subaru EJ253 in the garage... what to do? Reply with quote

Recently I purchased an excellent JDM EJ253 for my 07 Outback after it gave up the ghost in the high Wyoming desert. the EJ253 was an exceptionally easy to work with and the engine I purchased for $2000 was confirmed to have less than 30k on it. Score. deck heads, checked tolerances, new MLS gaskets, ASIN kit, and this car is excellent. quietest subaru I've driven...

So now, I've the Subaru knowledge and an engine I could work with sitting on a pallet in the back of the garage. do I embark on a swap?

it was eating some oil, so the rings are toast, and while I probably could have kept driving and managed the fiddling temp gauge, the HGs were on their way out, so I Uhauled it in rather than break town with a rig full of precious merchandise in the middle of nowhere...

That said, the old engine will need a full split and rebuild. my BIL who is primarily a diesel mechanic owes me a favor or 2, is very, very adept with the EJs, could rebuild it, or I could buy another JDM from a company I very much trust and use that for probably a lower cost.

Then comes the whole, is the gearing on the post 05 EJ253 too much on the gearbox of our vans, so then am I looking for an EJ22 to rebuild.

I realize many don't care for this swap, but many do, so I want to hear what y'all have to share

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: got a spare subaru EJ253 in the garage... what to do Reply with quote

1800 bux gets you a BRAND NEW short block from subaru

it makes it almost foolish to rebuild one at that price.

I don't even bother rebuilding them anymore (unless I'd doing something exotic like a stroker or something)

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: got a spare subaru EJ253 in the garage... what to do Reply with quote

I'd use the EJ25. If there was a way you could attenuate the power that's probably a good idea for your gearbox. Easy to do on a cable-operated throttle, you just limit the throw, prevent it from mashing full-throttle.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

$1800 gets who?
Subaru quoted me $2200 for "a 2012" short block. He had four of them in-stock.

========

I'm in a bind currently. other thread----> EJ25 timing belt skipped a (few) teeth.
Timing belt slipped and bent alll my valves.
And my engine was drinking oil at 1100 miles / quart.
I didn't need to change oil anymore, on-the fly, 5500 miles oil change interval.

Anyway when I get the new valves, I will get new seals of course.
How much could be leaking at the seals and will I know this by looking at the seals?

I think my pistons etc are good. 190+psi in all cylinders and it has plenty of power.
It was billed as a low-miles JDM and was clean as a whistle inside the valve covers.

But is it worth buying a new shortblock for $2200 just for clean oil-rings?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:04 am; edited 3 times in total
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a spare Subaru EJ253 in the garage... what to do? Reply with quote

I have a shop account...so there's that

but come on...2200 bux for an off the street guy to but a new SB?

you can't buy a set of GOOD heads for a WBX for that.

if you don't value your time then yea, rebuild one. I can make 20x the money doing other things than building a 2k engine.

I just don't see the value in rebuilding one when they are so cheap new

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: got a spare subaru EJ253 in the garage... what to do Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I'd use the EJ25. If there was a way you could attenuate the power that's probably a good idea for your gearbox. Easy to do on a cable-operated throttle, you just limit the throw, prevent it from mashing full-throttle.

$1800 gets who?
Subaru quoted me $2200 for "a 2012" short block. He had four of them in-stock.

========

I'm in a bind currently.
Timing belt slipped and bent alll my valves.
And my engine was drinking oil at 1100 miles pre quart.
I didn't need to change oil anymore, I was doing it on-the fly.

Anyway when I get the new valves, I will get new seals of course.
How much could be leaking at the seals and will I know this by looking at the seals?

I think my pistons etc are good. 190+psi in all cylinders and it has plenty of power.
It was billed as a low-miles JDM and was clean as a whistle inside the valve covers.

But is it worth buying a new shortblock for $2200 just for clean oil-rings?

Did you use the asin timing belt kit and swap a PCV valve for oil consumption?

Its a drag your JDM experience didnt work out. The more I work with the ej25, the more i like it/interested i become. If you need a good jdm source, dm me. Im not affiliated by my experienxe and a few other i know personally with this vendor have been nothing short of excellent

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: got a spare subaru EJ253 in the garage... what to do Reply with quote

Tell me, how can "I" get a new short block for $1800.... I've got money in hand!

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
mitch5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: got a spare subaru EJ253 in the garage... what to do Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:

Tell me, how can "I" get a new short block for $1800.... I've got money in hand!

I will say that when I went shopping for a short block in phx, dealer prices were all over the place for online orders. Anywhere from $1900 to $2300, my “hookup” could get it at $1850 without tax. It pays to shop around.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: