Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Generic door seals?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SunburntLobster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject: Generic door seals? Reply with quote

Hi
I was wondering if anyone has found a roll of generic door seal that will work on cab, cargo, engine lid doors?

I know kits can be purchased but I would like something cheap and cheerful if possible, not really worried about it looking oem.

Thanks, Jack
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Generic door seals? Reply with quote

The problem is that there are several different profiles for those seals. So if you want to keep out rain water you need the proper seals.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Generic door seals? Reply with quote

What if you scavenged out back of a large merchandise store for semi-soft white foam packing shapes. Then cut your own profiles and stuff them into the respective channels.

Another cheap alternative is the foam that goes inside Windlacing. You can get it up to 3/4" diameter.

Last idea is get yourself a construction product called Backer Rod. It is used to fill gaps in various projects before doing caulking or between joints in sidewalks etc.
SunburntLobster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Generic door seals? Reply with quote

I am not too worried about it keeping water out, more to stop doors rattling!

All the old seals have perished so I don't have anything to measure.

Would this be an ok size: https://www.screwfix.com/p/stormguard-extra-thick-weatherstrips-white-3-5m-2-pack/23512

She is an old patina van so don't want to go crazy if I can buy something far cheaper that does a similar job....
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Generic door seals? Reply with quote

Try it. You can even stack it on top of itself.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Generic door seals? Reply with quote

It's not just the dimensions to consider it's the "squish." How reliably will it compress, how hard and how resilient it is.

But I also place a value on my time futzin' around with custom stuff vs. buying it from someone who has already done the homework and produced a great solution.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: