Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newer LED bulbs
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Newer LED bulbs Reply with quote

^^^ Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
superreggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Newer LED bulbs Reply with quote

Conclusion: I'm overthinking it. I checked the original bulbs, and the ring is loose on those too. It's just that the LED bulbs don't fit quite as snugly.

I just took the little circular rubber band off the old bulbs and swapped them for the ones on the new bulbs, and VOILA. Bright lights. Cheap bright lights. Yes I would love to get a fancy new setup for $1000, but...
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Newer LED bulbs Reply with quote

^^^ I’d think you could use a thin o-ring to snug up that gap.

I’ve put LED headlight bulbs in three different vehicles and all have taken at least
some fiddling/modifying to mount properly.

You must do what must be done”… Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
superreggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Newer LED bulbs Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

That is the set I got too, and I had a super struggle figuring out how to get them to seat. You just have to keep turning them 1/3 of the circumference at a time, eventually you will get them to drop in, as if magic has happened, as you can't actually 'see' the little bits that the lights slip into."

Bobby Black, not to pester you, but could you tell me, after you got it to seat properly, did the black ring hold the bulb tightly? Because I'm 100% sure I have it seated properly, it's just that it isn't providing enough thickness to hold the black ring tightly... I made a video to show the issue:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B1959UlCq1ibW1
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Newer LED bulbs Reply with quote

I turn the light on about ten feet from the white garage door and turn the screws until they are right.

Duncan
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Newer LED bulbs Reply with quote

LarryMart wrote:
What criteria do you use to aim the headlights?

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html
LarryMart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Newer LED bulbs Reply with quote

What criteria do you use to aim the headlights?
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Newer LED bulbs Reply with quote

Never had a problem rebuilding the adjusters. Vaseline on the metal and glob some JB around. Maybe a bit of Dremel clean up afterwards, but not a prob.

Duncan
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Newer LED bulbs Reply with quote

The adjusters and anchors for the rectangular light are NLA for the originals. The "Classic Line" parts now available leave something to be desired. Go Westy sells the small pieces that snaps into the lamp body and receive the post separately. If your adjusters are just broken at the lamp housing end you are better off just the tip clamp.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Newer LED bulbs Reply with quote

superreggie wrote:

That's awesome! I'm not following "Freeing the glass from the frame". I mean, there's the front glass part, then the back chromed plastic bit. Aren't you replacing the whole thing?

The whole factory gizmo the bulb mounts in is glass and is a single piece. If you take a Bernzomatic torch and play around the area where the glass is "glued" to the metal housing bucket, the glass will crack and come into pieces. You keep heating at the metal part and eventually the glass will come free.

Adjusters--The old ones will be brittle and may break if you try to remove them. Since you don't care about the glass, I'd try heating the whole assembly in super hot water and maybe the plastic will be able to be freed without destruction. if not, others are readily available-- https://www.busdepot.com/lights-lenses/headlight/headlight-adjusterI rebuilt the old ones with JB Weld and they work fine. You will also need new plugs as they are different from the stock T3 unit.

Duncan
superreggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Newer LED bulbs Reply with quote

I actually contacted TorchBeam, the manufacturer, for help, and I think they are going to mail me something.... I'm crossing my fingers, because if I can get this to work, it's straight up a bright solution for $40 with no work involved...
superreggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Newer LED bulbs Reply with quote

[quote="DuncanS"]
bobbyblack wrote:
I'm in the same boat. About 7 years ago on my current T3, I made the following change. Went to FLAPS and bought a pair of Sylvania Silver Star H6054 sealed beams @ $20 per. Took the head lights out of the car and with a Bernzomatic torch freed the OG glass from the frame. Dremeled out some interfering metal and put the new ones in with JB Weld. They were immediately 5000% better. And they got even brighter when I relayed them with 10 gauge wire that was direct from the fuse/relay feed.

That's awesome! I'm not following "Freeing the glass from the frame". I mean, there's the front glass part, then the back chromed plastic bit. Aren't you replacing the whole thing?
superreggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Newer LED bulbs Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Any attempt to "fix" the headlight problem while still using the factory glass bulb housings will be disappointing. The scattering from 30 plus years of sand blasting by the cars in front of you and the fact they were designed for European villages and cities with narrow streets make them unsuitable for our open roads. Up grade the entire package and you will be much happier.

Duncan

I don't know, they seem pretty good to me. But my light housings are in good shape. I did this simple upgrade
https://gowesty.com/products/headlight-upgrade-kit
and it still sucks.

Which upgrade are you referring to?
superreggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Newer LED bulbs Reply with quote

bobbyblack. wrote:
I went all-in on being as friendly as possible to oncoming traffic. I got all new headlight adjusters after years of DIY type solutions with sheet rock screws and fuel hose. BUT, the brand new adjusters also are quirky! First, they are extremely terrible to get started 'moving' .. I used a heat gun to warm them up, and then after I got hem started, I lubricated them with some dry lube and very carefully screwed out and in a couple of times before installing them in the housings. Even now, I find them to be difficult at best. BUT, I persisted in the aiming process. I've had Mrs. Black drive the bus with me in another vehicle oncoming, to see them after the aiming, and they were good.

Thank you for your service to humanity. Yes, with these new LEDs, everything does seem a bit pointed up. My... what do you call them? Adjusters? Seem in pretty good shape, so I'll work on that. I deeefinately don't need 18000, these are fine.

I still think I have the bulbs in properly and that I just need some kind of washer or spacer or tape or something, but I'll keep fiddling.

Last edited by superreggie on Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Newer LED bulbs Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
I'd LOVE to get a whole package E-Code front end. But, I am in need of frugality, mostly due to self inflicted economic status. I'm firmly in the lower class territory, myself.

I'm in the same boat. About 7 years ago on my current T3, I made the following change. Went to FLAPS and bought a pair of Sylvania Silver Star H6054 sealed beams @ $20 per. Took the head lights out of the car and with a Bernzomatic torch freed the OG glass from the frame. Dremeled out some interfering metal and put the new ones in with JB Weld. They were immediately 5000% better. And they got even brighter when I relayed them with 10 gauge wire that was direct from the fuse/relay feed.

A minor bit of carving of the plastic grill was needed, but they fit right in and look close to original. They may not be quite as good as a $4/500 package, but they are plenty good enough for me. There are newer versions with squarer corners too. By the way, clean the insides of the inner high beams and you will notice a significant improvement on those too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Duncan
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Newer LED bulbs Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
the fact they were designed for European villages and cities with narrow streets make them unsuitable for our open roads.

Duncan

Fun fact: there are many open roads in Europe, not just tiny villages. That's why headlights have two modes:
- Tiny village mode, aka low beam,
- open road mode, aka high beam.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Newer LED bulbs Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
...they were designed for European villages and cities with narrow streets

Duncan

Only true if you have a European market vehicle, or if you or a PO shipped over E-Code's. DOT lights and lenses were installed on NA bound vehicles, and I agree that they are not good. However, some tiny baby steps to improved headlight 'throw' can be a start. I'd LOVE to get a whole package E-Code front end. But, I am in need of frugality, mostly due to self inflicted economic status. I'm firmly in the lower class territory, myself.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Newer LED bulbs Reply with quote

Any attempt to "fix" the headlight problem while still using the factory glass bulb housings will be disappointing. The scattering from 30 plus years of sand blasting by the cars in front of you and the fact they were designed for European villages and cities with narrow streets make them unsuitable for our open roads. Up grade the entire package and you will be much happier.

Duncan
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Newer LED bulbs Reply with quote

I went all-in on being as friendly as possible to oncoming traffic. I got all new headlight adjusters after years of DIY type solutions with sheet rock screws and fuel hose. BUT, the brand new adjusters also are quirky! First, they are extremely terrible to get started 'moving' .. I used a heat gun to warm them up, and then after I got hem started, I lubricated them with some dry lube and very carefully screwed out and in a couple of times before installing them in the housings. Even now, I find them to be difficult at best. BUT, I persisted in the aiming process. I've had Mrs. Black drive the bus with me in another vehicle oncoming, to see them after the aiming, and they were good.

I definitely would advise that if you are going with the 18000L units, be VERY sure your aim is perfect. Even the ones you have now are going to take a few nights of aiming to get them right. The aim is different from the standard 9004's. Most likely ALL bulbs are different, so any time you change bulbs, you should re-aim.

I'd say Good Luck, but you need to use good skill instead.

-bobby
superreggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Newer LED bulbs Reply with quote

Wow, those are bright. And cheap too. I'd like to hereby apologize to all of you who I will be blinding on the roadway, but I had to find a solution...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: