Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Would this panel scare you away?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Would this panel scare you away? Reply with quote

Pretty sure this rear panel is rusted from just below the rear window down into the wheel well. I'm in a non salt on the road and very low rust area so not sure it would get much worse. How much would that deter you from pursuing it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
calsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Would this panel scare you away? Reply with quote

Depends on the price of the Westy and your willingness/experience to tackle bodywork. Probably more to the eye here. But, if there's a deal to be had, I'd use that rust & that lower mid-panel as a negotiation item, cheers.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Would this panel scare you away? Reply with quote

I'd go on price from there. In my case, I am ALWAYS considering any bus... But then again, I am quite disturbed in the head. Once you have 2, you can't ever think in terms of just one again... Cars and Guitars, it never ends.

If it were the right price, I could see that being an easy Ospho treatment twice a year, and drive it til the wheels fell off thing. The window rust would be problematic, since I would not want to weld in clean metal with the cabinets in place... Not fun to start a fire where you can't put it out.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Would this panel scare you away? Reply with quote

will that panel affect your fun? your ability to camp? where you go and what you see? of course not.

it all depends on what you're buying a westy for.. an investment? a puff piece to garner compliments and stroke your ego? something for the next 20 years?

so the real question is how much money do you have to find one with zero rust? sure, everyone wants a creampuff. if you can afford it, by all means buy one. if you can't afford it, you'll still have a ball with a bit of rust.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Would this panel scare you away? Reply with quote

The lifting window seals means there is rust festering in there and likely holes. That kitchen wall rot that you can see on westies is a known rust issue that typically is even worse inside.
If want a van to keep for a long time I would pay more for a dry body, if you just want a beater I would use the rust as a price negotiation point.
Would it scare me away? Probably since I know rust only gets worse with time and I keep cars for decades.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Would this panel scare you away? Reply with quote

Those windows will have rust holes under the gaskets. Not a deal breaker but be prepared.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Would this panel scare you away? Reply with quote

Rust is like an iceberg. There's usually a whole lot more beneath the surface.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Would this panel scare you away? Reply with quote

I think the fact that the service doors are in the wrong location would worry me as much.

That van with that amount of rust should be about $7500.00, I'd bet there is not a single panel without some rust in it.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Would this panel scare you away? Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
I think the fact that the service doors are in the wrong location would worry me as much.
That van with that amount of rust should be about $7500.00, I'd bet there is not a single panel without some rust in it. Stacy

(edit: changed my mind on what I said about it maybe being a conversion)
It all depends on price, but rust work can be very expensive unless you do the work yourself and remember - Rust NEVER sleeps.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.

Last edited by MsTaboo on Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Would this panel scare you away? Reply with quote

nothing scares me, i drive a vw.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Would this panel scare you away? Reply with quote

People in the south don't realize how good they have it.

Car wholesalers ship southern cars up north and we get all the salted ones from New Jersey, or the burned out ones from FL.

Look for a better example. If you live up north and were going to DD it I'd say it's perfect.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrissev2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Would this panel scare you away? Reply with quote

That is not really that difficult to fix, and the entire panel is available as a patch.

I have removed and replaced that panel on my vanagon. It is not hard to get it out, and it requires removing the interior pieces behind it and drilling out some welds.

You can find dry, rot free Vanagons, so repairing rust is really a choice. What I would do is dig into it and see what condition everything else is in. If it has new front and rear end work, brakes are recent, engine is functional and recently rebuilt and otherwise in good shape, it would probably make sense to fix it. If everything is junk, then find a dry body and rebuild from there.

You also have the real opportunity and alternative to simply ignore that rust and enjoy the vehicle. It will be many years before that rust becomes something that renders the vehicle unsafe or un-driveable. So you can just ignore it.
1978 Volkswagen super beetle convertible
1992 Eurovan 2.5 5spd westfalia
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Would this panel scare you away? Reply with quote

This is all about what you want. I've always said that not one camping trip was ruined by seam rust.

Much more important to me are other things like under-body rust and general upkeep of the van. Has the van been meticulously maintained? Are the suspension components rusted together? The underbody? Will your foot go through the rusted out hole below the pads at the front doors? Those things scare me away, not seam rust. But again, this is all about you.

I bought this van nine years ago and this seam rust hasn't advanced much (although it's accelerated the last few years). The engine bay and underbody are entirely rust free and the we don't hesitate to drive it 1,000 miles.

Pictures of the engine and the rest of the van and its asking prices will get more helpful information from this gang in terms of the whether or not it's worth it.

Unless if you don't like rust, then walk away.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Would this panel scare you away? Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:

Service doors?
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Would this panel scare you away? Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
will that panel affect your fun? your ability to camp? where you go and what you see? of course not.

it all depends on what you're buying a westy for.. an investment? a puff piece to garner compliments and stroke your ego? something for the next 20 years?

so the real question is how much money do you have to find one with zero rust? sure, everyone wants a creampuff. if you can afford it, by all means buy one. if you can't afford it, you'll still have a ball with a bit of rust.

Fair enough. Definitely would be a user as was my '87 that I had, not a show piece. Trying to get more engine pics before making a 4 hour drive to check it out.
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Would this panel scare you away? Reply with quote

calsurf wrote:
Depends on the price of the Westy and your willingness/experience to tackle bodywork. Probably more to the eye here. But, if there's a deal to be had, I'd use that rust & that lower mid-panel as a negotiation item, cheers.

Asking $15k OBO currently. Working on getting some engine pics.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Would this panel scare you away? Reply with quote

chrisfreemanca wrote:
16CVs wrote:

Service doors?
The access doors on the side for Water and other Utilities.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Would this panel scare you away? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
chrisfreemanca wrote:
16CVs wrote:

Service doors?
The access doors on the side for Water and other Utilities.

What we Westy people call hook-up boxes. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Would this panel scare you away? Reply with quote

chrisfreemanca wrote:
calsurf wrote:

Asking $15k OBO currently. Working on getting some engine pics.

seems like the rest of it should be really nice or desirable to justify that...

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Would this panel scare you away? Reply with quote

They look about right. Here's an '82 on BaT right now:

The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: