Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Parking brake left on while driven?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
84Westy48
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Parking brake left on while driven? Reply with quote

We have an 84 Westy and were on a road trip. The ebrake was left on for a distance of around 10 miles. The ebrake was not in the hardest detent. When checking the brakes they were not smoking but were hot and have a burnt smell.
Is it recommended to replace or would sanding the pads and drum be adequate.
The pads and drum only had at the time 9000 miles on them.

Thank you,
John

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Parking brake left on while driven? Reply with quote

As long as the ebrake holds and normal braking doesn't pulse, don't do anything.

It's like you abused them a bit coming down a mountain.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Parking brake left on while driven? Reply with quote

i've done that, continued on with life.

that said, if your e brake was on as hard as it can go and you were able to drive, you have adjustment and/or rear brake issues. a proper brake will lock you solid and you will NOT take off with it on. when i've done it, it has been when my rear brakes were less than perfect.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Parking brake left on while driven? Reply with quote

No need to do anything yet. If it drives and brakes smoothly you are good to go. BTDT.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Parking brake left on while driven? Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
..and normal braking doesn't pulse..

Be aware; most new brake drums you will purchase now WILL pulse... So, if you have a slight pulse and replace them, expect the replacements to also pulse. Many here have just automatically taken new drums for machining. Guess what? In a few weeks, yet again the pulsing starts.

I've had it happen with top dollar stuff from major vendor, so this is just an FYI thing.. I keep my old drums around, for when I get too annoyed with the 'new' ones and instead I get the old ones machined.

-bobby
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Parking brake left on while driven? Reply with quote

If I had a dollar for every time my '73 has been driven with the parking brake on, I could buy a new set of brakes!

But I don't think I have ever had to do that because of the parking brake being left on. (I did replace the rear brakes last year due to a wheel cylinder leaking but I imagine that was because it was 48 years old, not from the brake being left on.)

One time, the brake stuck on on one side in my Golf due to water getting into the chafed cable and freezing while it was parked. Drove a few miles and was entranced by the ethereal glow coming from the one disc!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Parking brake left on while driven? Reply with quote

Nice van! Check the parking brake adj. to ensure that it's fully on in 3 - 5 clicks and carry-on. Many vans are so poorly adjusted that the brake isn't engaged at 10 clicks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Parking brake left on while driven? Reply with quote

No worries... You just seated your brake pads... I left my (not fully adjusted) parking brake engaged at the start of a 300 mi flat 4-wheel tow. When I finally stopped I noticed the hot rear wheels.... That was a year and 13,000 miles ago and all had been well.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Parking brake left on while driven? Reply with quote

We've all done it. I was stopped heading uphill on a road in West Virginia while police cleared a motorcycle accident and then drove off with the brake engaged a few clicks. The stink arrived soon enough so I stopped to let things cool down for a bit. No lasting damage thousands of miles later.
84Westy48
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Parking brake left on while driven? Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the great advise. Much appreciated!

John
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Parking brake left on while driven? Reply with quote

You just discovered another one of the Vanagons multi-purpose tools using the parking brake as a lathe to get the drums turned down!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: