Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Instrument lights question
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject: Instrument lights question Reply with quote

Hi, all, I know a lot of you, but I am an admitted newbie to the Karmann Ghia World. Been into VWs since my first new one off the showroom floor in 1969.. Speaking of 1969, that is the year of the Karmann Ghia that just landed in my lap...Been working through some of the issues, when I got it, NOTHING electrical worked, like I didn't have a battery. So far, I have high and low beams, turn signals, brake lights, emergency flashers, and wipers...getting there. Cool . My question is, I am in the process of trying to get illumination to the speedo.. I am used to the old metal bulb holders/sockets, either with the spade end or the screw in end, but the speedo in this Ghia has these weird (to me) plastic twist-lock holders...Are these stock? Can I replace them with metal ones with the spade connectors ? Thanks in advance for the sage advice!

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument lights question Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
I am used to the old metal bulb holders/sockets, either with the spade end or the screw in end, but the speedo in this Ghia has these weird (to me) plastic twist-lock holders...Are these stock?
Yep, stock in Ghias from '67 and Bays from '68.
Dave wrote:
Can I replace them with metal ones with the spade connectors ?
I think one would be hard pressed to make the change, but where there's a will, there's a way. My Mom's '66 Beetle had the metal bulb holders, while both my '71 Ghia and '72 Bus have the original plastic twist-lock holders and none of them ever malfunctioned, so my advice is leave well enough alone. FWIW the plastic twist-lock holders are half the price of the metal ones. Wink
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument lights question Reply with quote

I hate the plastic ones. I always have a hard time getting them into the gauge, but once you figure it out they work fine.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument lights question Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
I hate the plastic ones. I always have a hard time getting them into the gauge...
Twist and shout Cool
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument lights question Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
I hate the plastic ones. I always have a hard time getting them into the gauge...
Twist and shout Cool

Laughing

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument lights question Reply with quote

I have power going to all the connections, from the light switch to the fuel gauge, and then on to the two in the speedo at the top. When I probe the wire, or the connector, my test light shines bright, as in, I have power..Where does one acquire those strange little connectors, and those push in bulbs? Hard to believe all 3 bulbs are bad, but....

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument lights question Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Hard to believe all 3 bulbs are bad....
Agreed, I may have replaced one in my '72 Bus since it was new; can you borrow a multimeter for a quick bulb check? Or if you're brave and steady handed you might tempt fate with some alligator clips, wire, and your battery Wink You may be familiar with this place: https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/bulb-dash-12v-2/
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument lights question Reply with quote

Yeah, I've known Scott Dempster for probably 30 years. The Airhead Parts Treffen Border to Border Cruise always stays the second night of the cruise in our little town..,It seems weird that I have power to each and every wire that is supposed to be for gauge illumination has power right up to where it enters the gauge, but I still get nothing.
But thank you for the link, I was having a devil of a time finding those little suckers...

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument lights question Reply with quote

De nada. I figured you're well grounded... Wink
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument lights question Reply with quote

Always check the bulbs first. I know, seems unlikely, but it’s usually the case.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument lights question Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Twist and shout 8)

I have those fiddly plastic ones too, and I can tell you Charley, it's more like twist and CURSE.

But once they're in and work, it's twist and SIGH.

(I no longer fit them from the front trunk. I'd rather drop the steering column (loosening the bolts under the dash) and pull the speedo out into the car.)

Fiddly buggers, those plastic bulb holders.
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument lights question Reply with quote

I, for some reason, simply cannot get those little bastards to stay in place !!! I've searched youtube to see if anyone has shot a video on the orientation of the holder when it goes into the gauge, and which way it should be twisted, but can't find anything. Can anyone talk me through this? Please?

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument lights question Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Please?
Well, since you asked so politely I'll have a go. As noted by kiwighia you might want to pull the speedo out of the dash, especially if you have banana-like fingers or if you're like me and find it increasingly difficult to simultaneously reach and see the back of the speedo from inside the trunk. First, take a look at the nice photo posted by VWDruid in this thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=514606: note the holes for the lights in the speedo have flats, and two of the flats opposite each other have detents. Now, study the end of the plastic bulb holder and note the two protrusions nearest to the bulb along with the protruding "ear" offset 90° from those two protrusions. Your mission is to orient the plastic bulb holder such that the two small protrusions nearest the bulb are offset CCW slightly from the two detents, then press and turn the bulb holder to engage the protrusions under the detents. Also in that photo note the little rivets interspersed among the holes: if the plastic bulb holder isn't oriented "just so" then those little rivets can interfere with the ear, making it impossible to "press and turn." Good luck! At least three of us are rooting for you!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument lights question Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
Good luck! At least three of us are rooting for you!

Oww, OK, make that four...good luck mate. Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Instrument lights question Reply with quote

Got it !!!! I guess it is all in holding your teeth just right, and getting it started in precisely the correct place. Clock light still doesn't work, but neither does the clock, so I am not too concerned about that. Thank You for the help, everyone !!!

Last edited by Dave on Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument lights question Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Thank You for the hell, everyone !!!
Always happy to give folks hell! Laughing
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Instrument lights question Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
Dave wrote:
Thank You for the hell, everyone !!!
Always happy to give folks hell! Laughing

Damn. sometimes, I really hate talk to text... fixed it.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: