Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

I want to be clear that this isn't a rant or anything, it's a legitimate question. Please don't come into this thread and start bashing people directly. But I wanted to ask the question of whether some of you actually feel penalized for selling stuff to move?

Again, not directed at anyone specifically - but recently I've been trying to unload stuff from picks to off-set gas, trailer rental, etc. It's typically priced at 50-60% of similar items because I don't want to store it and I want to recover my investment.

But man, the offers that come through the door and/or the crazy trades make me almost want to increase the price it higher to avoid the Looney Tunes!

Unique trades include: animals, stolen tools, payment plan (for a $500 item), etc.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

1970PAKombi wrote:
But man, the offers that come through the door and/or the crazy trades make me almost want to increase the price it higher to avoid the Looney Tunes!

Increase the price.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

The real issue is you are too scared to let it go. Hoarding is a mental illness.

If your selling stuff and the buyer makes a ridicules offer simply say No Thanks and move on.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
The real issue is you are too scared to let it go. Hoarding is a mental illness.

If your selling stuff and the buyer makes a ridicules offer simply say No Thanks and move on.

No, no hoarding here. I was asking if it's better to adjust the price higher to avoid the nonsense?
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

I get stupid offers from people all the time no matter what the price.

"can you sell me one seat back from your matched set of seats"

"I just want to buy the steering column out of your turnkey car"

Parts I don't really care for I tend to ask a price of fair value.

Basically..If you had to make/build from scratch could you build it for what I'm asking??

Like a $50 fender, or a $25 steering wheel...Can you make it for that???

If the offers are stupid just tell them "I'm sure someone else has what your looking for for that kind of deal, but not me..good luck"
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

Maybe I look at it differently. If I'm not using something, it goes cheap. Be gone.
Last year I think I sold a BJ beam minus spindles & leaves for $10 or some such thing.

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
I get stupid offers from people all the time no matter what the price.

"can you sell me one seat back from your matched set of seats"

"I just want to buy the steering column out of your turnkey car"

I just wanted to let you know this is fairly common.
Sometimes I look at the emails people get to cars for sale here that I like and this happens A LOT.

Along with all the motorcycle/boat/land trades from a few people that will email tons of sellers.

There have definitely been some people that have made what I thought were weird trades here so maybe it works sometimes.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

Yesterday i listed an accessory and it sold in 30 minutes. Was going g to as $100 but figured that it would go faster @ $75... and it did.

And I'm ok with that.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

If you don’t like interacting with people don’t sell stuff. I usually find someone who needs a cool thing I find and give it away rather than clutter life with emails/trades/skateboards and it pays forward

I think I sold a Bus Beam here, that was it. I delivered it
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

I know what your saying.
Having the lowest price is good idea, but going TOO low invites trouble.
If it won't sell then lowering the price past reason does not always help, you best try another time or try somewhere else or just give it away.
I do NOT believe in throwing stuff away if you can't get a "fair price", but I can see how some would come to believe that.
It may depend a lot on what you are selling too.
Very different kinds of markets with very "different" people Shocked
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

The few times I have listed things I have looked at similar ads and priced mine lower. Sometimes a lot sometimes a little. I have a few people complain or ask stupid questions. In Which case I link them to an ad of the same thing but a much higher price and just tell them to buy that one.
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

It used to be retailers sold retail and everyone else bought from them.

Many retailers relied on a conventional supply chain. The had to pre- internet. It was difficult to catalog parts in a situation where each part came from an amateur vendor.

The internet changed everything. Yeah, it's been around for decades. Amateur retailers are still learning.

Amateur retailers tend to believe if they list something on The Magic Internet a buyer will show up almost instantly and pay retail. The same belief exists in actual reality. Sellers believe buyers will show up if they have a garage sale on a dead end road a hundred miles from nowhere.

Same sellers will produce a screen shot from eBay, Amazon or a similar site exhibiting an inflated asking price. They'll stick to their "retail" price although their situation is far from retail.

Same sellers charge for listing fees, PayPal fees... that's all part of doing business. Roll it into the price instead of sticking it to me after the sale. Rolling Eyes

Shipping has become ridiculously expensive. We're going to have to come up with creative shipping solutions if we're going to rely on e- business. For example rather than relying on FedEx or UPS, what if there was a truck with a 53' box that went coast to coast a couple times a year? Then my cores could find their way to West Coast rebuilders. Rebuilt parts would boomerang back. We would rely less on an offshore supply chain.

Every time a VW gets shipped coast to coast parts could ride with it. Idea

Lowballers:

IMO lowballers should feed on the bottom with the carp, the crabs and the shellfish. Never mind that I like a bargain as much as anyone. I have a fairly strict protocol, however.

I believe it's rude to offer less than 2/3 of asking price and it's certainly rude to attempt to buy pristine parts off someone's running vehicle. Mind you I'm still steaming at bus people who used to steal parts off my buses when I wasn't around. First someone stole all the VW logos. Another day someone stole all the wipers. Hey, I'll hook you up with wipers if you need them. There is no need to steal all the wipers off all my buses. Rolling Eyes

It's certainly rude to sell broken or defective parts as pristine or NOS. I can link to Samba ads presenting useless parts as usable and worse, charging as if they're usable. Believe me, I have a Third World attitude towards junk. If I can't rebuild it no one can. Rolling Eyes

If a part or vehicle is overpriced don't expect to hear from me. I don't like to play games and I especially don't enjoy that game.

Of course rules are made to be broken. If your price is way high I may offer a little less than my usual protocol. Bear in mind I've been at this for longer than many if not most. I operate within a reasonable price range. I'm pretty good at arbitrage.

I find that overpriced parts or vehicles are a continuing education in dealing with difficult people.

Anyone who says, "Don't waste my time!"

Can be sure I won't.

Focusing on lowballers:

The proliferation of amateur retailers makes for a proliferation of lowballers. Lowballers like to buy rare parts for chump change and then flip them for retail. Hassle is it's work. Rather than patiently waiting for the right deal or following protocol lowballers prefer to push.

It's like any other relationship. You can politely wait for the right partner and woo them with charm and wit or you can rudely proposition potential partners and succeed once in a while due to the Law of Averages.

Would be vendors:

Patience is a virtue! At this time of year it's a good idea to wait for the summer swap meets if you want to sell parts. Sweat equity and skin in the game pays dividends.

I've always promoted camaraderie at swap meets. I may help you unload if I get there early enough. I try to provide entertainment during the day. I'll help you load out if you'll let me. I figure I had a good day if I'm the last one to load up and leave.

So, OP:

Hang on to those parts for now and swap meet 'em later. Transform what can be an annoying process into a fun vacation.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

I always offer a payment plan

1 you make payment

2 I plan on how I’ll spend your cash

You are welcome
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

1 you make payment

You are welcome

I like that.

All of this reminds me of the free lawnmower by the corner. If you put a sign on it that says "free" it will sit there forever. If you change that sign to "for sale, fifty bucks" and chain it to the post, it will be stolen that night. Either way, you get rid of the lawn mower.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

Nobody goes to cheap doctor. We value what we pay for. Buying and selling is a fairly sophisticated endeavor, not for everyone ( don't like doing it? go get a job and have someone else tell you what to do ).
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Nobody goes to cheap doctor. We value what we pay for. Buying and selling is a fairly sophisticated endeavor, not for everyone ( don't like doing it? go get a job and have someone else tell you what to do ).

I hear you
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Nobody goes to cheap doctor. We value what we pay for.

Going to an expensive doctor is no guarantee of getting the best treatment.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

AHH you make a funny....a cheap doctor Very Happy
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Abscate wrote:

1 you make payment

You are welcome

I like that.

All of this reminds me of the free lawnmower by the corner. If you put a sign on it that says "free" it will sit there forever. If you change that sign to "for sale, fifty bucks" and chain it to the post, it will be stolen that night. Either way, you get rid of the lawn mower.

...and deduct $500 loss from your taxes, using the Wells Fargo guide
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Manfred58sc wrote:
Nobody goes to cheap doctor. We value what we pay for.

Going to an expensive doctor is no guarantee of getting the best treatment.

"You can't pay somebody enough to care" is no exception in medicine.

I don't think electrickery works that way
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: