Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

091 re-seal?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mogman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: 091 re-seal? Reply with quote

I am replacing the drive seals and both output flanges on my 091, one side was leaking and both had been run with the CV bolts loose, I was lucky to find two new factory flanges,
The "side plates" are plastic and both are warped, one side seems to have a seal of some sort out of place, I have looked at all the exploded views I can find and still have no idea what these actually do, bearing retainers??
Should I be concerned with these?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When I removed the speedo cable the cable adapter came out, the threads look fine so I assume I will find a nut and possibly also a washer inside.(evidently where all the oil was leaking out of the front of the transmission)
So I must remove the end plate, looking at the exploded views it does not look like anything will "jump out" and be a problem when I do remove the plate, any gotchas here??
I do have some good loctite thread sealer/locker to use here.

jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 re-seal? Reply with quote

The plastic pieces are called Side Screw Locks. They keep the differential side adjusters from backing off.
There should not be anything under them other then then final drive seals. That is unless someone added something.

The piece in the other picture I have never scene in a 091 transaxle. Aftermarket part for speedometer since you can’t use the front spindle like a stock VW does.
Any other pictures of it location?
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Mogman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 re-seal? Reply with quote

No problem it has a rubber plug in it now, the lower mounting stud is not used, it has a mount that uses 4 of the bottom screws on the second cover, you can just see them not threaded all the way in, I will post pictures of what they did on the inside when I get that cover off.
Seems it would have been better to just thread the cover since they had to drill it anyway but that hole has no threads.

So the side screw locks are OK to use again or do I even have to deal with them just to change the seals?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 re-seal? Reply with quote

Mogman wrote:
No problem it has a rubber plug in it now, the lower mounting stud is not used, it has a mount that uses 4 of the bottom screws on the second cover, you can just see them not threaded all the way in, I will post pictures of what they did on the inside when I get that cover off.
Seems it would have been better to just thread the cover since they had to drill it anyway but that hole has no threads.

So the side screw locks are OK to use again or do I even have to deal with them just to change the seals?

The side screw locking plates also came made of metal. Also on the plastic plates there should be a little curved metal washer plate under each hold down screw on each plate that keeps the plastic plates from cracking when you tighten the screws.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mogman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 re-seal? Reply with quote

I did take one flange off and see now what is going on, man there is some serious crud in and out of the locking plate but all outside the seal.
Someone put a bead of sealer between the trans and the locking plate, it did not do much good!
Mogman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 re-seal? Reply with quote

BTW do you know where to get pedal pads for the Neil pedals, they are bigger than type 1 pads.
I measure 2 1/8" X 2 3/4"
EDIT: without pads
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 re-seal? Reply with quote

The steel screw locks only came on 002 transaxles. They have a smaller ID then the 091 and will not fit without modifying the. Plus the steel ones are not available new, only plastic ones now.
Yes they way the locks are made they all seem to fill up with debris over time.
If you want to replace them (if broken) Weddle Industries sells new ones.

Interesting that speedometer is being driven off of pinion shaft.

I don’t know of the large CNC pedal pads replacements.
Motion Tire Motorsports
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 re-seal? Reply with quote

Looking at EMPI catalog, they show a large pedal pad for their copy of CNC brake setup
Part #16-2536-0
Empi also shows for both their small and large master cylinders.
The small ones would work on a CNC/ Neal steering brake and Girling master cylinders.
Part#16-2161-0
Motion Tire Motorsports
Mogman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 re-seal? Reply with quote

So that speedo cable is twisting faster than engine RPM in 4th... Geez....
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 re-seal? Reply with quote

I forgot to add the word Boot to my last post
The master cylinder replacement boot, the small size boot should work on your steering brake
Empi part#16-2161-0 and would the same size a Girling master cylinder.
Motion Tire Motorsports
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 re-seal? Reply with quote

sure that isn't an 094 synchro box? They appear to have come with a speedo drive in them. '86+ 4WD Syncro Vanagon according to Weddle.
Mogman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 091 re-seal? Reply with quote

I thought the 904 was set up for side shift, this has the shifter input directly above the last picture on the front of the trans.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 091 re-seal? Reply with quote

Yes you have a 091 transaxle that were used in the USA 1976-79 VW Buses.
You are correct the 091/1 and 094 5speed, the shift linkage came out of the side of the main case.
There was also a 091 in the early 1980s Vanagon that shift linkage came out the side of nose cone (shift housing).
Motion Tire Motorsports
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 re-seal? Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
The steel screw locks only came on 002 transaxles. They have a smaller ID then the 091 and will not fit without modifying the. Plus the steel ones are not available new, only plastic ones now.
Yes they way the locks are made they all seem to fill up with debris over time.
If you want to replace them (if broken) Weddle Industries sells new ones.

Interesting that speedometer is being driven off of pinion shaft.

I don’t know of the large CNC pedal pads replacements.

That's interesting. These side plates also came on 004 transmission and came in both steel and plastic for the same trans....and I know those fit 091 side screws. They would only be used and not new as well and are the same part # with a 004 prefix (004 301 197)
Weddle also notes that their plastic lock plates also fit both 002 and 091....a universal male tooth pattern?

While the side screws themselves are a little different between 002 and 091.....are you sure the lock plates are a size difference or just an internal tooth pattern difference?

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mogman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 re-seal? Reply with quote

I did find some dimension of the EMPI pedal pad, it looked OK as far as width but looks to be too long, then I picked up this Wilwood lot today at a local hot rod shop auction and the Wilwood pedal measure exactly what the EMPI pad would fit so I assume somebody copied someone.

I would think that Neil would have designed their pedal pad to fit something readily available rather than something they would have to produce, I am having trouble finding any relative data for even various VW pads like the bus etc.
Not too bad for $60.00

jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 re-seal? Reply with quote

The ID of the 002 lock plate is smaller then the OD of a 091 final drive flange where seal rides.
You have to enlarge hole in steel lock plate to fit 091 flanges. I have done it on transaxles I built for racing.
The side screw adjusters of 002 and 091 are interchangeable. Weddle sells a kit to upgrade a 002 to a 091 differential which is stronger then the 002.
The 091 main case is the same dimensions as a 002. The 091 is a much stronger case then a 002 with extra material in differential area.
The 091 gear carrier (front housing) is longer by approximately 10mm then a 002 to house the wider 1st -4th gears. This is where the extra external length comes from.
The 091 bell housing is same width front to back as a 002. It deeper internally for 228mm clutch and flywheel and uses 10mm longer mounting bolts and studs and different starter.
Motion Tire Motorsports
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 re-seal? Reply with quote

Nice find there of the Wilwood pedals Mogman.
I have a early single Wilwood pedal setup. The aluminum pedal does not use a pad, just anti skid material on it.
You might be correct on the Bus pedal working on the larger brake pedal of CNC/ Neal. My CNC brake in the buggy is a late one and pad has CNC logo in it.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Mogman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 re-seal? Reply with quote

I was wondering what allowed me to simply unscrew the speedo cable adapter, as it turns out one of the flats on the nut is against the case not letting it turn.

This is what the speedo cable drive end looks like.
I was hoping to find some clue as to who built the 091 for Chenowth but all I have found is a number stamped on the top of the case near the front 408 012

jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 re-seal? Reply with quote

From what I remember hearing when Chenowth were building the buggies for the government, Mike Mendeola business at that time “Mendeola Transaxles” were the builders of the transaxles since they were all close in El Cajon,California.
Mike is still in the transaxle business building high dollar transaxles for mid engine cars like the Ford GT 40 and others.

Great video on Utube about him telling his life story and the transaxle going in a AMX.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Mogman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 re-seal? Reply with quote

Thanks, do you know if they were likely using virgin transmissions or sourcing used ones?
It looks like the 091 is getting rather scarce these days.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: