Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 Beetle engine pull adventure
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

I set the crank successfully. To help, I suspended it over the case with a small hoist I had so I could bring it down close and wiggle the bearings, raising up an inch if I needed to reposition or take a break. I was careful to engage the distributor drive without crushing gears. This image is before I put in the new bearings.

This probably should go in the stupid questions section, but I have no shame so here goes:
Is #1 firing position (and for TDC) when rod #1 is fully extended as in my picture?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

You have a 50% chance if hitting TDC with the rod extended. Remember these are four stroke engines.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

You are not replacing Number 2 main bearing? Not replacing one main bearing is not a good idea. The crank is going to flex at that main from the difference in sizing with tight bearing on either side of a loose bearing.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

That last image was taken before new bearings were installed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

mg50 wrote:

This probably should go in the stupid questions section, but I have no shame so here goes:
Is #1 firing position (and for TDC) when rod #1 is fully extended as in my picture?

In this picture, yes. So long as when you rotate it the dots on the crank gear and the cam gear will line up. The rotor, however, should be pointing at the notch in the distributor body by your little white arrow when the crank is in the position shown in the picture.

I must say that is the most exquisite contraption ever devised to assist with this operation. It belongs in a John Muir cartoon! Applause
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

[quote="Buggeee"]
mg50 wrote:

I must say that is the most exquisite contraption ever devised to assist with this operation. It belongs in a John Muir cartoon! Applause

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
I must say that is the most exquisite contraption ever devised to assist with this operation.

Yeah - I just held by the #1 and #2 connecting rods on mine !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:

I see new bearings everywhere but #2. Thinking he did not want to pull the gears and replace them.
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Rickf1985 wrote:
Tom K. wrote:

I see new bearings everywhere but #2. Thinking he did not want to pull the gears and replace them.

Hey Rick, I'm working on it. You guys aren't going to let me cut any corners are you Wink
Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Nope, not a one. If this motor fails it will not be because we led you wrong!!!!
Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

You need a clamshell puller, or the special more expensive specialty puller, to get the gears off but putting them back on is surprisingly easy by heating them up and dropping them on.
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Rickf1985 wrote:
You need a clamshell puller, or the special more expensive specialty puller, to get the gears off but putting them back on is surprisingly easy by heating them up and dropping them on.

I found a used one and still waiting for it to arrive in the mail.
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Prepped the new oil cooler, attaching it to the stand but not the case, rubber grommets, torqued to 5 ft. lb.

Something I could do in the meantime is install the engine compartment seals, I have both bottom and firewall. Sounds like sore fingertips.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

I just used the same 3 prong universal puller that I had used on the flywheel

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

X 2 on Buggeee's puller. And if you are cheap like me, then just go to your nearest autozone and borrow one for free! I use my autozone like a library - always one or two tools checked out.
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Rods -
Since I'm this deep in, decided to go ahead and remove rods and replace rod bearings.
Weighed each rod and all were same except for one 5 grams heavier.

Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

I real good way to tell if the motor has been beat on is the see if those numbers from the rod are embossed into the back of the rod bearing. The bearings in the pic do not look bad at all. Just wondering, does the rod that is heavier look newer than the other three? It may have been replaced. I am anal about that stuff and I would balance it to match the others but to do that you need to check big end weights against small end weights. All big ends should weigh the same and all small ends should weigh the same. In your case for what you are doing I really would not worry too much about it. I balance mine because I tend to have a heavy foot and I also seldom build a stick motor.
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Rickf1985 wrote:
I real good way to tell if the motor has been beat on is the see if those numbers from the rod are embossed into the back of the rod bearing. The bearings in the pic do not look bad at all. Just wondering, does the rod that is heavier look newer than the other three? It may have been replaced. I am anal about that stuff and I would balance it to match the others but to do that you need to check big end weights against small end weights. All big ends should weigh the same and all small ends should weigh the same. In your case for what you are doing I really would not worry too much about it. I balance mine because I tend to have a heavy foot and I also seldom build a stick motor.

I read that within 5 grams of each other is acceptable. I suppose I could file a little off of the one. They all look to be the same series of rods, with matching #s on rod and cap.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Those bearings look good - even reusable. Somebody knew how to change the oil!
Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

mg50 wrote:
Rickf1985 wrote:

I read that within 5 grams of each other is acceptable. I suppose I could file a little off of the one. They all look to be the same series of rods, with matching #s on rod and cap.

If you are not going to be beating on this engine then do not worry about it. If you do want to file on the heavy one be sure to read up on the procedure since there are certain areas that you can file and certain areas you do not want to file.

You know, If you keep this up I can see you asking about porting and polishing the heads and cc'ing the combustion chambers. It is a slippery slope building these engines I tell ya". LOL.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 43

Jump to: