Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 Beetle engine pull adventure
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

I'm documenting pulling my engine to fix a leak (oil cooler or pushrod tubes or other, to be determined), maybe replace generator and a leaky fuel pump. I know this is elementary stuff for most here but I will be throwing out questions that may also help some other poor amateur like me. This may be spread out over a couple of weeks as I wait for my brother to come over and spot me for the drop, or to call 911.

-Drained the oil. Disconnected the battery terminals.
- Disconnected the wiring. These little post-it things I got at Staples are great for marking wires. I'm noting that some of the wiring has brittle insulation that cracks when you bend it. Maybe should cut back to good wire and solder new wire?
- wondered why previous owner had left the generator ground wire disconnected. Because they located the generator wrong, turned to the left, so the ground screw hole was not accessible.

- Pulled the air hoses (preheater tubes?) off. Removed air filter and hoses.
- Gas line: Took me a while to disconnect it up above the heater box where it was a little hard to grab and pull off the metal tube. I had a bunch of screws around to plug it up but none that prevented it from leaking. So I clamped it with a vise grip. Probably not healthy for the rubber fuel line but I'll cut behind it for a new end when I reconnect. Someone said golf tees work well for plugs?
- Unscrewed heater box cables: little keeper parts falling free so I screwed them back on the loose cable ends to keep track of.

QUESTION - (See pix)Throttle cable tube: Does the throttle tube stay with the shroud when dropping the engine or do I pull it out? I pulled out the cable through the back, removed the little keeper clip on the flared end of the tube front, but it doesn't want to push all the way through the shroud back or pull out in front.

- Carb bowl looks pretty burnt. But engine has been running ok.

manifold (not sure if I'm calling by the right name): Left one looks clean at the rubber joint, right one looks oily. Though my oil leaks are on the left side under the engine, thinking maybe oil spurts up from oil fill tube area on this side?

Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

The hard throttle tube will stay in the fan shroud.

Seems you got it all disconnected. Just the 4 bolts holding the engine to the transaxle.

Support the engine with a jack, undo the mounting bolts, slide the engine back to disengage it, and lower it down. You may have to tip it a bit to clear the rear apron.

It's a little finicky by yourself, but I manage by myself without too much issue.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

mg50 wrote:

- Gas line: Took me a while to disconnect it up above the heater box where it was a little hard to grab and pull off the metal tube. I had a bunch of screws around to plug it up but none that prevented it from leaking. So I clamped it with a vise grip. Probably not healthy for the rubber fuel line but I'll cut behind it for a new end when I reconnect. Someone said golf tees work well for plugs?

…….

- Carb bowl looks pretty burnt. But engine has been running ok.

………

manifold (not sure if I'm calling by the right name): Left one looks clean at the rubber joint, right one looks oily. Though my oil leaks are on the left side under the engine, thinking maybe oil spurts up from oil fill tube area on this side?

It is always good to have fluid line clamps like this on hand. They come in handy for all kinds of things not just on the VW but lawn mowers, other cars, snow blowers, etc. https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-fluid-line-clamp-set-65116.html. They work better than vice grips or golf tees to choke off hoses.

For the carb bowl, would be a good time to clean and rebuild it too. That’s crud in it.

Don’t go by where you see oil. Oil, especially that leaks from the oil cooler finds its way all over the engine.

If you are struggling with names of parts, would be a good idea to buy the Bentley manual for your car. It will help with proper toques etc. when putting things back.
CuKid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Hey there!

Young blood that joined the VW vicious a couple of year ago here!

I would like to advice you on your carb. A couple of photos would be great to detail my advice but in general here are some steps that you may follow to ensure that it runs like brand new, you can rebuild it your self almost entirely.

Dissemble it completely but tracking all the bolts by inserting them in a piece of cardboard. Ex. The upper part of the carb has five bolts, place them in the carboard in a way that reminds you which one goes into which part, do the same with all the other bolts and jets that are inside the carb.

Get a new mini float tank, the one inside the gas bowl of the carb.

Check the functionality of the needle, the piece that goes screwed just over the mini float tank. YOu cna do this by putting your finger on the needle and suctioning the outside end, if it grabs your tongue it is working, unscrew it and give it a wash, you can reuse it.

Dissemble the throttle arm completely and check the integrity of the bolt that runs transversely, if it is cracked or visibly damaged it may leak gas which is no good.

Once this has been done use carb-clean solvent to clean it. Here comes an important step, while you manage to get new spare parts: Cut off valve, gas nozzle, gas pump (square part of the carby), thermic valve, etc. you can get those by ordering a rebuild kit. Check that it matches your carby model.

The only thing that deserves to be custom made are the bushings of the throttle arm rod. Once you have the proper rod to use go to a lathe shop and ask for the bushings to be custom made, this will be a great improvement over generic bushings. Personally this way I managed to get 12km/1litre performance in city.

Hope to help, good luck!
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

You’ll also need to disconnect heater hoses from the heat exchangers under the car, and remove some of the cooling tins in engine compartment, before you can remove the engine. Once again, the whole procedure is documented fairly well in Bentley shop manual - recommend you request Santa deliver it to you a bit early, if you’re planning to pull engine in next week or two…. Smile

That looks like an all original and intact Solex carburetor in your pictures! Recommend you consider sending it in to Tim at “Volkzbitz” for a complete rebuild and restoration. He is, hands-down, the best rebuilder of VW carbs available nowadays. Once he gets done with it, you’ll have the best and highest quality possible unit for your car. https://www.volkzbitz.com/

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

- Will have the Bentley service guide in the next few days. Already have a few other books including the old Muir "idiot" guide that helped me pull a 67 bus engine 40 years ago.

- heater hoses pulled loose

- will leave metal throttle tube in place in shroud

- Removing tin today and maybe slightly loosening the 4 engine bolts.

- Will rebuild carb or have it rebuilt. Debating doing that later after engine is back in, to reduce # of variables for a successful crank up.

- Fluid clamps. Didn't know they existed. Will definitely pu some.

- I have a motorcyce jack and a floor jack that goes 20" high. Might review pulling it out though the wheel area instead of jacking so high.
Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

You are definitely going to need to get it higher than what I see in those pics! Once you have the engine sitting on the jack jammed between the body , jack and floor is NOT the time to say "It needs to go higher". I put the floor jack under the trans mount and go as high as it will go and then put the stands right where you have them. That will generally give you just barely enough room it you tip the engine back on the jack a hair to clear the shroud. You say you have a tranny jack, if it is a low profile jack you should be good but the cheaper one from Harbor freight will probably be too high. I will let you know on that one next week. I know it was to high for a transmission job on a pickup I did.
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Rickf1985 wrote:
You are definitely going to need to get it higher than what I see in those pics! Once you have the engine sitting on the jack jammed between the body , jack and floor is NOT the time to say "It needs to go higher". I put the floor jack under the trans mount and go as high as it will go and then put the stands right where you have them. That will generally give you just barely enough room it you tip the engine back on the jack a hair to clear the shroud. You say you have a tranny jack, if it is a low profile jack you should be good but the cheaper one from Harbor freight will probably be too high. I will let you know on that one next week. I know it was to high for a transmission job on a pickup I did.

yea I haven't jacked it up yet. I want it low when I pull the engine back and away, then will jack it up and use some higher jack stands I have.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

I've never removed tin.

Don't forget to separate the rubber engine compartment seal from the tin as it hooks from underneath and will hang things up.

Enjoy this time honored ritual!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Use a 17mm box wrench to loosen the lower mounting nuts. For the upper right mounting nut on hidden side of fan shroud, use same or a 17mm socket, maybe a gear wrench.

On your 1971 (and later), there's an insert pressed into the engine case for the upper left side, and you'll need to use long extensions and a socket to remove the long bolt there (due to the doghouse cooler design).
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Pulled the tin. Was having difficulty getting the big back one, deciding which end to tip to get it out past the rubber, but discovered best way was a gorilla pull straight up while holding rubber back with my other 3 hands.

Does this tin piece under the pulley come out as well? seems to be held with a screw behind the pulley. Also remove circled connecting tubes to heater boxes? One is loose and one is rust frozen.

Is is possible to remove engine with tin in place? Seems there wouldn't be enough room to pull it back and out.

Discovered a hole in a heater box. JB Weld?

mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

On your 1971 (and later), there's an insert pressed into the engine case for the upper left side, and you'll need to use long extensions and a socket to remove the long bolt there (due to the doghouse cooler design).

Yep, that's where I put the hex head bolt (Ace) you told me about. I have a correct bolt now but it doesn't look hard and tempered like the hex bolt.
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

misc.

Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

You should post your pictures to this site instead of hosting them 3rd party.

The only tin a take off is the breast plate, which you have already done.

You don't need to start taking everything off. If you can see the ground, it's not gonna get stuck.

I take a tire off and slide the engine out sideways so the car doest need to be super ass high.

If you drop the engine onto a sheet of thin plywood etc, it makes it easy to slide out from under the car.
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
You should post your pictures to this site instead of hosting them 3rd party.

The only tin a take off is the breast plate, which you have already done.

You don't need to start taking everything off. If you can see the ground, it's not gonna get stuck.

I take a tire off and slide the engine out sideways so the car doest need to be super ass high.

If you drop the engine onto a sheet of thin plywood etc, it makes it easy to slide out from under the car.

Thank you.
I wasn't sure how to post directly to the site. The instructions offered an option of placing the photo location between two image tags. But I'll go back and review what I can do. Do I need to post the pictures in a gallery?
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Yep, you’ve removed all the cooling tins you need to, to get the engine out.

Note: to post photos to this forum, just go to the “Gallery” tab at top, and the select “Add Photo”.

That hole you pictured in bottom of heater box is a drain hole, and it’s supposed to be there. It’s basically for any water which might get in and collect down at the bottom — recommend not plugging it.

On other item to check before dropping engine is to make sure you’ve disconnected the wires for the backup lights. The connector is usually located between the fan shroud and firewall, on right side of engine. It’s somewhat hard to see, and thus easy to miss / forget.

Last edited by baldessariclan on Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

One helpful item to have when dropping an engine is a dolly for it to rest on, so you can easily remove jack from under it, plus roll the engine out from under the car and move around on garage/shop floor. I made one from scrap lumber, along with some relatively cheap castor wheels (from Harbor Freight) attached underneath.

I usually lift the rear end of car up to a “medium” height, and support on jack stands. Then I place a small piece of thick plywood on my floor jack’s lifting pad, and center the plywood and jack pad at c.g. “balance point” of the engine (i.e. more-or-less centered under oil drain sump).

I use the jack to lower engine onto the dolly, and then move the jack to just forward of the front transmission mount, and lift car high enough to roll the engine out from under it. I find that a short section of 4x4 works well for bridging the frame “forks” at that lifting point, just forward of the transmission.

See pics below for details:

mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

baldessariclan wrote:
One helpful item to have when dropping an engine is a dolly for it to rest on, so you can easily remove jack from under it, plus roll the engine out from under the car and around garage/shop floor. I made one from scrap lumber, along with some relatively cheap castor wheels from Harbor Freight attached underneath.

I usually lift the rear end of car up to a “medium” height, and support on jack stands. Then I place a small piece of thick plywood on my floor jack’s central pad, and center the plywood and jack pad at c.g. of the engine — i.e. more-or-less centered under oil drain sump.

I use the jack to lower engine onto the dolly, and then move the jack to just forward of the front transmission mount, and lift car high enough to roll the engine out from under it. I find that a short section of 4x4 works well for bridging the frame “forks” at that lifting point, just forward of the transmission.

That's pretty much my plan. I don't have the dolly but I have a motorcycle jack to bring the motor down and wheel it out. Then I have a way to transfer it back to the floor jack to lift it to my table mounted yoke.

I realize this is all old hat to the pros here but I'm documenting the "doing of it" for less experienced people like me. And I'm not physically able to slide 250 lbs around on the floor without some hydraulic help. Thanks!
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

By the way, that is one beautifully restored engine.
Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Ah, I am not the only one with a busted up old floor! Although yours looks perfectly smooth compared to mine. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 43

Jump to: