Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 Beetle engine pull adventure
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
Speaking of developing good libraries, are you deleting your old photos? Looking through your old posts from just a few months ago, all of your photos appear missing. Why not just leave them to allow future Sambanistas to learn from your questions?

I haven't deleted any. Just was previously serving them from another space but started putting them on here about midstream, per suggestion of one of you guys.
M
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Removed the c-clip, pulled the gears and now bearing #3 is free.

Feels like a special day. I've gone as deep as I can go and now to turn around and put it all back together.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by mg50 on Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

THAT is an interesting wear pattern! That looks like it was standard bearing on an undersized journal. Was there a dowel in there? It almost looks like the bearing spun. Anyone else?
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Yeah I realize you are skipping the case machining step, but you should at least measure your bores to be sure you are inserting the correct sized bearings.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Rickf1985 wrote:
THAT is an interesting wear pattern! That looks like it was standard bearing on an undersized journal. Was there a dowel in there? It almost looks like the bearing spun. Anyone else?

Yes, dowel was in place.
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
Yeah I realize you are skipping the case machining step, but you should at least measure your bores to be sure you are inserting the correct sized bearings.

I will.
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

more shots of bearing 3. Does the VW emblem and number mean that it may be the original bearing?

Last edited by mg50 on Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
pmriverrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

I just pulled down a '71 AE engine that also had what appear o be OE main and rod bearings. The engine was run hard enough the bearing numbers were imprinted in the case. .040 over line bore to clean it up.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

If the numbers are pounded into the case you just about be sure it needs to have the line bore done. .040 second cut is OK but also pay attention to lifter bores and cam tunnel.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

mg50 wrote:
Removed the c-clip, pulled the gears and now bearing #2 is free.

Feels like a special day. I've gone as deep as I can go and now to turn around and put it all back together.

To avoid any confusion the bearing in you picture is #3, number 2 is the split bearing and number 4 is little one next to crank pulley.
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
mg50 wrote:
Removed the c-clip, pulled the gears and now bearing #2 is free.

To avoid any confusion the bearing in you picture is #3, number 2 is the split bearing and number 4 is little one next to crank pulley

Thanks for that. Someone called it #2 and I didn't know which end you number from.

All the previous bearings were fit snug into their saddles when I first popped out the crank, and the new standard size set seems a proper snug fit when placed on their pins.

I took measure of everything with a caliper and didn't see anything that didn't match up.

mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

I put bearing #3 and the gears on camshaft:

- after checking it out, I slid on bearing #3, offset hole towards flywheel.
- heated gears in a pan with a little oil on a hotplate to about 250 degrees.
- slid on easily without any pounding at all. Timing dots face out.
- put on spacer ring
- distributor gear took a slight tap on a piece of pvc pipe.
- special pliers were required for the c-clip.

mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Rickf1985 wrote:
I always use to heat the gears in a coffee can of oil. Once the oil was smoking the gears were hot enough to drop right on. Plus they had oil on them for lubrication.

Thumbs Up
worked like a charm
Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Please don't put that pot back in the house!!!!
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Rickf1985 wrote:
Please don't put that pot back in the house!!!!

My cheap camping pot, or else wife would kill me.
Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

No longer your camping pot, no more food use. Yea, after I said I used coffee cans I realized how many years ago that was and when was the last time I saw a real coffee "Can".
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Testing the drop rate on the rods with new bearings installed and torqued to 24 lbs. I put a light coat of assembly lube on the bearings but wondering if they should all match in amount of resistance.
video:

Link
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

mg50 wrote:
Testing the drop rate on the rods with new bearings installed and torqued to 24 lbs. I put a light coat of assembly lube on the bearings but wondering if they should all match in amount of resistance.

Looks OK to me.

Note that I never did such "match test" on any of the engines I've built; note that I've only built about six engines, from 1500cc to 1835cc, but none died early.

Others will comment.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

#2 and 4 are a little slow. But that could be due to cold temps.

You did measure the bearings, carefully, right?

Who is the bearing manufacturer?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Looks okay. A little slow on the #2 rod. Try swapping it out with one of the other ones.

Try the drop test with a light layer of 30W oil.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 43

Jump to: