Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

This kind of crap is why these cars are SO UNRELIABLE
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:10 pm    Post subject: This kind of crap is why these cars are SO UNRELIABLE Reply with quote

I had my engine out for the last few months to do some following up on why my car kept stalling at stops after warmed up. However I didn't have a single problem with the generator beforehand, now the engine is reinstalled and suddenly I have the solid red generator warning light on the dash and my battery is not charging. Have measured the battery voltage at rest (12.2v), while on (11.98v!) and revving the engine (no change.) Have checked every connection at the regulator (even though there is absolutely NO reason any of that would have changed) and they are all fine. Tried polarizing the generator and no change. WTF. All it did was sit in a box for 3 months, now I am apparently suddenly in need of a new generator FOR NO REASON.
Some people love having a reason to work on these things all the time, I'm sick of it.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: This kind of crap is why these cars are SO UNRELIABLE Reply with quote

Did you check the brushes? They might have gotten jostled during the removal/reinstallation and gotten hung up.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
drpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: This kind of crap is why these cars are SO UNRELIABLE Reply with quote

OldSchoolVW's wrote:
Did you check the brushes? They might have gotten jostled during the removal/reinstallation and gotten hung up.

Yes! And gently (but firmly) push on the brushes (1 at a time) while the engine is running. If that doesn't get it to start charging, do 1 more thing before getting a replacement generator. Take off the fan belt and turn the generator pulley by hand while holding some emery cloth (on a popsicle stick) against the armature. This will remove any corrosion/dust/debris that may have built up while the engine was just sitting there. Put the fan belt back on and start her up. And once again, push the brushes in towards the armature while the engine is running...

Pete Keesling
Driving a VW every day.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: This kind of crap is why these cars are SO UNRELIABLE Reply with quote

Tran's ground strap to body clean connections?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: This kind of crap is why these cars are SO UNRELIABLE Reply with quote

I had two generators be perfectly fine after sitting a decade each.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: This kind of crap is why these cars are SO UNRELIABLE Reply with quote

I would check all grounds, trans to body ground, battery connections from battery to ground, & positive connection to battery. Them also check voltage at generator.
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: This kind of crap is why these cars are SO UNRELIABLE Reply with quote

https://speedyjim.net/htm/gen.htm
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: This kind of crap is why these cars are SO UNRELIABLE Reply with quote

With the engine running, momentarily ground the "f" terminal while looking at the warning light.
may need a helper, but I've done it just myself a few times.

-if the light goes off when you do this, it means the regulator is at fault.
- if the light stays off, and now it's working, congrads you fixed it, system just needed a jump start to wake it up.
-if nothing happens, the generator is not working, check the brushes.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: This kind of crap is why these cars are SO UNRELIABLE Reply with quote

Uncle Tony’s Garage just did a video about this phenomenon. Basically it’s the nature of the beast when dealing with really old cars. It never ends.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: This kind of crap is why these cars are SO UNRELIABLE Reply with quote

My first thought was the generator had de-polarized. This can happen sitting on a shelf for a while or even a sudden shock (dropped) can cause the generator to lose its polarization. But you confirmed you polarized it so that's not it.

Cusser wrote:

Follow Speedy Jim's steps in the page above that Cusser provided. Run the test of the generator where you ground the DF terminal and check the output of the generator D+. If the generator can output 30v+ then it is likely the problem is with the VR. Are you running a mechanical VR or the newer solid state one from Bosch?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: This kind of crap is why these cars are SO UNRELIABLE Reply with quote

Unfortunately, there is a lot of crap out there.
Even old and trusted suppliers and manufacturers have let their product quality slip.
Same is true in my industry.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
doug bugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: This kind of crap is why these cars are SO UNRELIABLE Reply with quote

There's always something to do or fix on these VWs.

Forty, fifty, sixty years old-- plus, they were built cheap back then and they were definitely classified as throw-away cars.

I had two (in a row) alternators bad out of the box and they were even different brands. I became a little too familiar with removing and installing the doghouse.

If these things weren't so simple, they probably wouldn't have built and sold 21 million. After all, they are (usually) relatively easy to fix.

Parts quality has gone down unless you want to pay through the ass for NOS stuff. So, that is obviously a problem.

You WILL get this figured out and life will be good again. You might have to just step away for a bit and forget about it for a while.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: This kind of crap is why these cars are SO UNRELIABLE Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Unfortunately, there is a lot of crap out there.
Even old and trusted suppliers and manufacturers have let their product quality slip.
Same is true in my industry.

doug bugg wrote:
There's always something to do or fix on these VWs.

Forty, fifty, sixty years old-- plus, they were built cheap back then and they were definitely classified as throw-away cars.

I had two (in a row) alternators bad out of the box and they were even different brands. I became a little too familiar with removing and installing the doghouse.

If these things weren't so simple, they probably wouldn't have built and sold 21 million. After all, they are (usually) relatively easy to fix.

Parts quality has gone down unless you want to pay through the ass for NOS stuff. So, that is obviously a problem.

You WILL get this figured out and life will be good again. You might have to just step away for a bit and forget about it for a while.

I am not talking about a part I just bought being bad right out of the box. In fact I sort of expect that nowadays. I am talking about an OEM Bosch generator that has been perfectly fine for years suddenly gone completely bad just sitting in a box for 3 months.
Or, even if it is the regulator, same story- been fine for years, sits for 3 months, and suddenly its crapped out?

1600 SP engine

Last edited by sb001 on Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: This kind of crap is why these cars are SO UNRELIABLE Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
My first thought was the generator had de-polarized. This can happen sitting on a shelf for a while or even a sudden shock (dropped) can cause the generator to lose its polarization. But you confirmed you polarized it so that's not it.

Cusser wrote:

Follow Speedy Jim's steps in the page above that Cusser provided. Run the test of the generator where you ground the DF terminal and check the output of the generator D+. If the generator can output 30v+ then it is likely the problem is with the VR. Are you running a mechanical VR or the newer solid state one from Bosch?

It's an older mechanical VR, and in fact I don't even think it's a Bosch I think it's an Echlin from NAPA. But, it's been fine for years. What would have caused it to go bad just sitting in the car?
I'll check the D+ voltage output when I get home.

"Curve ball" - best description of these cars' reliability

1600 SP engine
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: This kind of crap is why these cars are SO UNRELIABLE Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

I am not talking about a part I just bought being bad right out of the box. In fact I sort of expect that nowadays. I am talking about an OEM Bosch generator that has been perfectly fine for years suddenly gone completely bad just sitting in a box for 3 months.
Or, even if it is the regulator, same story- been fine for years, sits for 3 months, and suddenly its crapped out?

Which brings us to the high probability that it was an error in installation.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: This kind of crap is why these cars are SO UNRELIABLE Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Tran's ground strap to body clean connections?

This better be all it is, otherwise I'm dragging this mess to the scrap heap

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: This kind of crap is why these cars are SO UNRELIABLE Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
sb001 wrote:

LOL, yeah OK, have pulled and reinstalled this engine at least 10 times, suddenly I did something wrong. Go be a smart ass somewhere else

1600 SP engine
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: This kind of crap is why these cars are SO UNRELIABLE Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: This kind of crap is why these cars are SO UNRELIABLE Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
sb001 wrote:

LOL, yeah OK, have pulled and reinstalled this engine at least 10 times, suddenly I did something wrong. Go be a smart ass somewhere else

As opposed to the dumb ass that has “pulled & reinstalled this engine at least 10 times” and still hasn’t gotten it right?!?

You always know everything & completely shit on anyone that tries to help you out, yet you can’t keep your shit running. It ain’t the car, it’s your “mechanic”. Rolling Eyes

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: This kind of crap is why these cars are SO UNRELIABLE Reply with quote

Give me one fucking example of anytime I’ve “shit” on someone who tried to help me. Just one.
Fucking mouth runner. You have no fucking clue about ANYTHING going on with me and my car, and the history between us. Keep on ruining your goddamn mouth.
YOURE the one that thinks they know everything there is to know about these cars, and you know it. I’ve NEVER come across that way except to say I think they are unreliable , if you don’t agree then fine but from now on stay out of my threads and out of my business. I’ve bent over backward to help others on here either with auto stick related issues or electrical as best I can and everyone on here knows you can NEVER say the same because you’re too busy being a keyboard mouth. Do not EVER post anything in one of my threads again.

1600 SP engine
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: