Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil temp sender and (manually operated] throttle ring questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: oil temp sender and (manually operated] throttle ring questions Reply with quote

you're looking for something like this
https://www.justkampers.com/vdo-oil-temperature-ga...-1979.html

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: oil temp sender and (manually operated] throttle ring questions Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
So to refocus on the dipstick sender, is there one that will definitely work in a Beetle?

And why doesn't the bus sender I received seem to fit in my Beetle? Are the engines that different?

I use the VDO dipstick oil temp sender, connected to a genuine VDO gauge.

It works perfectly; vdo gauges are electronically stabilized, and the dipstick length is adjustable.

Altough you could mark min e max oil level on the dipstick sender, Anyway I keep the original dipstick to check oil level.
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: oil temp sender and (manually operated] throttle ring questions Reply with quote

Having a manually controlled venturi ring seems like a way to overheat by forgetting to close it. The heads will probably heat up faster than the oil so you may be cooking the heads before the oil comes up to temp. The stale air setup really isn't too bad to set up, I would buy all the parts and set a weekend aside to remove the engine and install the thermostat, venturi ring and stuff. I think I did it over a weekend like that.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: oil temp sender and (manually operated] throttle ring questions Reply with quote

petrol punk wrote:
Having a manually controlled venturi ring seems like a way to overheat by forgetting to close it. The heads will probably heat up faster than the oil so you may be cooking the heads before the oil comes up to temp. The stale air setup really isn't too bad to set up, I would buy all the parts and set a weekend aside to remove the engine and install the thermostat, venturi ring and stuff. I think I did it over a weekend like that.

I think I've abandoned the manual setup idea. Too many variables.

I bought a bunch of parts from our samba classifieds that were supposed to be for my car but they just didn't line up when I had the engine out. I would prefer to not have to go through that again unless I know I have the correct parts.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: oil temp sender and (manually operated] throttle ring questions Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:
So to refocus on the dipstick sender, is there one that will definitely work in a Beetle?

And why doesn't the bus sender I received seem to fit in my Beetle? Are the engines that different?

It works perfectly; vdo gauges are electronically stabilized, and the dipstick length is adjustable.

Altough you could mark min e max oil level on the dipstick sender, Anyway I keep the original dipstick to check oil level.

This is the first I am hearing about the dipstick being adjustable. The one I bought is 21 1/2" long. I can't close the engine lid when it is inserted as far as it will go. How do you mean adjustable?
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: oil temp sender and (manually operated] throttle ring questions Reply with quote

I want to get an idea of the temperature my engine runs at before proceeding any further.

I just dropped a deep-fry thermometer into the oil dipstick hole. I chose this one because of the length. In the sizes they make these things, this 'standard' length (12") is the only one that's not too long or short.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sort of tight confines because of the fan belt. Tough to find something that fits perfectly. This works, although I had to tie it to the breather tube so that it doesn't touch the fan belt.

I'm gonna drive the car tomorrow and check the belt frequently, as well as the temperature on the gauge.

I tested it as instructed on the packaging. It is spot-on in some boiling water.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: oil temp sender and (manually operated] throttle ring questions Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
herbie1200 wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:

This is the first I am hearing about the dipstick being adjustable. The one I bought is 21 1/2" long. I can't close the engine lid when it is inserted as far as it will go. How do you mean adjustable?

With "adjustable" I mean the circle stop can be fixed in the right height position.
AND the upper part can be bent toward the oil filler cap to not interfere with engine lid.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: oil temp sender and (manually operated] throttle ring questions Reply with quote

Before going any further with any of this, I wanted to know my oil temp in this weather.

With the thermometer I installed in the oil dipstick hole (see above) and tied off so as not to contact the fan belt, I did a 30 minute drive on both highway and local streets. The air temp was 44*F.

When I got home I checked the temp gauge. 140*F. Not even close to operating temperature.

I can kick the high idle down about a minute after starting the car at cold air temperatures. It runs smoothly without stumbling. What I am concerned about is not having enough heat to boil residue out of the engine oil.

Tons of people say that thermostat systems are not necessary. Maybe so in hot weather, but anywhere it gets cold, quick warm up to operating temperature requires them. And if I want to drive this car with a clear conscience during the 'other' 6 months of the year, they'll have to be installed.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: oil temp sender and (manually operated] throttle ring questions Reply with quote

In this winter, here in Italy, my 1200cc with all thermostat parts in place and working, the air thermostat never opens fully, neither in city driving or higway.

Oil after 20..30 minutes goes on 180°F, only on the higway it raises up to 220°F.

Those are the correct working temperatures.

Mineral oil 15W40, all tins in place.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: oil temp sender and (manually operated] throttle ring questions Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:
In this winter, here in Italy, my 1200cc with all thermostat parts in place and working, the air thermostat never opens fully, neither in city driving or higway.

Oil after 20..30 minutes goes on 180°F, only on the higway it raises up to 220°F.

Those are the correct working temperatures.

Mineral oil 15W40, all tins in place.

<< . . . the air thermostat never opens fully . . . >>

That is very interesting and now makes complete sense to me, as my car didn't go above 140*F after a half hour drive with no thermostat or related equipment, although all tins are properly in place. Your partially closed ring or flaps get and keep the heat in the proper place. Thank you for that.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: oil temp sender and (manually operated] throttle ring questions Reply with quote

Yes.

There is another thread, if I remember in the performance forum.

A clever guy put a position sender on the thermostat lever, and an air temperature sensor near the thermostat, and after a lot of travel in various conditions posted the readings in a graphic arrangement.

The interesting thing was that the thermostat continuosly varies its position to mantain the same air temperature. Only in summer driving the thermostat sometimes fully opens.

This is the most important proof about the necessity of a well working thermostatic system.

Remember that thermostat, managing the airflow, also helps to keep the correct oil temperature: when closed only a small airflow passes throung the oil cooler, so the oil is cooled only when engine is hot.

Those engines are very well designed to operate in both arctic and tropical climates, a necessity for a "world car".
This is the thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705328
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: oil temp sender and (manually operated] throttle ring questions Reply with quote

I am looking at that thread now, and this post by Steve Arndt:

<<The oil warms up very slow. You can have 300 degree or higher head temps in 2 minutes from cold startup and still have 50 degree oil (all numbers in F degrees). The amount of heat transfer due to conduction from the oil sump, through the bracket, to the thermostat is negligible >>

has given me a better grasp of what petrol punk wrote in this thread, and why my manually adjustable venturi ring would have failed in practice:

<< The heads will probably heat up faster than the oil so you may be cooking the heads before the oil comes up to temp. >>

Bad Scotty. Bad bad Scotty.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: oil temp sender and (manually operated] throttle ring questions Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:
Yes.

There is another thread, if I remember in the performance forum.

A clever guy put a position sender on the thermostat lever, and an air temperature sensor near the thermostat, and after a lot of travel in various conditions posted the readings in a graphic arrangement.

The interesting thing was that the thermostat continuosly varies its position to mantain the same air temperature. Only in summer driving the thermostat sometimes fully opens.

This is the most important proof about the necessity of a well working thermostatic system.

Remember that thermostat, managing the airflow, also helps to keep the correct oil temperature: when closed only a small airflow passes throung the oil cooler, so the oil is cooled only when engine is hot.

Those engines are very well designed to operate in both arctic and tropical climates, a necessity for a "world car".
This is the thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705328

Thank you for your reply, and the link. I read all of it, including every link in every linked thread.

I am going to begin by measuring everything I've got to determine if the parts I have are correct for my car.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: oil temp sender and (manually operated] throttle ring questions Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
There's a big rod that bolts to the case that supports everything:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Okay, I figure I'll just through this out there. I need one of these, but the 40 hp version with the 195mm rod. I've searched the classifieds, but they're all listed as 36 or 25 hp items. The one I already have is a 36 hp version. I probably bought it before I knew there was a difference.

Anyone got one for sale (or trade)?
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: oil temp sender and (manually operated] throttle ring questions Reply with quote

I'm bumping this on the chance that someone has a 40hp system available.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: oil temp sender and (manually operated] throttle ring questions Reply with quote

The ironic thing is 1,000's of those probably got tossed in the trash over the years. Hopefully one will find you soon.
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: oil temp sender and (manually operated] throttle ring questions Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:

Sorry, I do not. I checked the one on 36hp case I have, just in case, and it's 185mm where the ring attaches. Could you take a couple of 185mm ones and fabricate a 195mm rod?

Cheers!
Mike
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: oil temp sender and (manually operated] throttle ring questions Reply with quote

Mr. Mike wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:

Sorry, I do not. I checked the one on 36hp case I have, just in case, and it's 185mm where the ring attaches. Could you take a couple of 185mm ones and fabricate a 195mm rod?

Cheers!
Mike

I'm thinking that if I can't find one I'll have to have a one machined.

But I have some time. Hopefully one will turn up.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: oil temp sender and (manually operated] throttle ring questions Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
The ironic thing is 1,000's of those probably got tossed in the trash over the years. Hopefully one will find you soon.

There seem to be lots of 36hp sets available. 40hps seem to be hens' teeth.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: oil temp sender and (manually operated] throttle ring questions Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

There seem to be lots of 36hp sets available. 40hps seem to be hens' teeth.

You might want to ask people to check the measurements.
I used to have a small pile of these parts and I sold them all as "36hp".
I probably sold some that were 40hp not knowing the sizing was different.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: