Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine code confusion
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spschmidt27615
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject: Engine code confusion Reply with quote

I'm having an issue figuring out this engine code. Is it missing a number or am I just not reading the chart properly that has the list for the H code because I'm not seeing where it should fall in the start/end range.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
p horvath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine code confusion Reply with quote

looks to be a 67 beetle engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spschmidt27615
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine code confusion Reply with quote

Yep I agree but the numbers for 67 look like they are between H0 593 766 and H0 915 221 so I'm not sure where this fits?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine code confusion Reply with quote

You're right, there are 1 too few digits for an "H" engine.

Is there a letter in front the of the H, like AH?
I see something behind the stud but it looks offset for some reason.

AH 008277 would be a '73 1600
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine code confusion Reply with quote

Probably AH. It has the horizontal casting marks the later dual relief cases have below the alternator stand.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Engine code confusion Reply with quote

Clean the gunk off that is hiding the letter A. H codes always had 7 digits. AH had 6. That is an AH case.

Look at some other things. Does the engine case have one or two oil pressure relief valves? H only had one. AH has two.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spschmidt27615
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Engine code confusion Reply with quote

Yep there is an A hiding there. Sorry I missed that I had to be an acrobat to get the original picture.😉 Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: