Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

who made this ring gear ?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinnawagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:08 pm    Post subject: who made this ring gear ? Reply with quote

This came in a 002 bought from shop in Eugene oregon they did do the work

there story behind them having this goes. A guy traveling to Alaska driving bay full of stuff. Bought a Rebuilt trans in La calif. he could pull the I/5 Hills. They do a trade in deal owner gets a 002 stock gearing.

The time frame on this was the as when Ben jamie ? ( hastalaska) was doing vids 2x a week. Whe he hit La. calif he got a rebuilt trans 002. he was using like Rancho. I don't think rancho did maybe the gear unit, under the nose was real shitshow.. I doubt the owner could shift it very well. I weddle & Richmond, I have never seen a ring gear machined leaving rid in the bottom of that valley .

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: who made this ring gear ? Reply with quote

I only understood half of what you were writing.
But the R/P looks to be a 4,57 made in Brazil
The job could very well be one of Rancho´s rip off jobs. - In all fairness it could also be that the original customer didnt know how and what.

With a stock 4rth it is a nice cruising ratio, but it takes some umph in right rpm band to pull hills or mountains with in a heavy bus. A typical overcammed low compression bus engine will struggle to do that.
yinnawagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: who made this ring gear ? Reply with quote

Rancho / rip off rings Bell. But before trans was rebuilt

Hastalaska = Ben
Think back 2011/12 to 2017/18 ? he has a on going travel Thread on Baywindow forum. You posted on that a few times

in his story starts Lima Peru.. 87 ? Brazilian Bus. breaking down every day Rolling Eyes 5 yrs later. Los Angeles Calif. gets free major working on Bus, and trans rebuilt. then heads Alaska. A week later he can't shifting is problem and heads for Eugene oregon 250 + miles away.

Years later I have that trans. I remove bell housing and take pic
and nose cone (no pic's)chinese main shaft bearing and zip sleeved

New Hockey stick and New plastic shift Ball. ball hole was to small slide on hockey stick, installer FILES the area to fit till ball now Sticks ! on the hockey stick. we know the " Ball sticks" on the stick which will making shifting a Bitch. >>>>>>>>>>>> Bent shifter inside .

Alstrup sp ? said two words The entire mystery of who rebuilt the actual gear unit .
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: who made this ring gear ? Reply with quote

Punctuation and sentence structure matter when it comes to conveying thoughts & ideas from the writer to the reader. It's like the difference between helping your uncle jack off a horse OR helping your uncle Jack, off a horse.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: who made this ring gear ? Reply with quote

I am going to guess that English is not his native language hence the struggle. I think he has something interesting to say though, I am getting bits of it.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: who made this ring gear ? Reply with quote

yinnawagon wrote:

Hastalaska = Ben
Think back 2011/12 to 2017/18 ? he has a on going travel Thread on Baywindow forum. You posted on that a few times

in his story starts Lima Peru.. 87 ? Brazilian Bus. breaking down every day Rolling Eyes 5 yrs later. Los Angeles Calif. gets free major working on Bus, and trans rebuilt. then heads Alaska. A week later he can't shifting is problem and heads for Eugene oregon 250 + miles away.

Years later I have that trans. I remove bell housing ....

The story you've been fed is a load of bullshit.
Ben from Hasta Alaska/Kombi Life had a 92 Brazilian Bus that he camperized. This Brazilian Bus used a TYPE 1 IRS transmission, not a Bus 002 trans. His original Brazilian trans held out fine until he got to Haines AK. That's where the pinion gear broke. He parked the bus for the winter then the following spring installed a newly rebuilt TYPE 1 trans.

If you are looking at a dodgy built 002 trans, it has nothing to do with Ben.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: