Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cutting back old paint
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Airleg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:36 am    Post subject: Cutting back old paint Reply with quote

Hi,
Throwing this out to the Samba brains trust.
My 56 Beetle had a accident before I'd brought it. Front
apron hit, repaired but the wheel well, fuel tank and trunk had been sprayed with black paint.
It's taken me 26yrs of ownership to psych myself up to do this as it's basically I think elbow grease to cut black paint off original.
Can any of you Samba members recommend a product
to lift this old paint ... had been using a silver cleaning product
called Silvo....think it's more chemical based than a cutting
agent....tried a few other things with attention to how
aggressive it is on original paint.

Cheers
Chip
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting back old paint Reply with quote

A lot of info here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76072
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Airleg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting back old paint Reply with quote

Thanks very much tehillah1, knew there would be a link
somewhere.....probably try the graffiti remover...will
give it a few tests first...👍👌

Cheers
Chip
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting back old paint Reply with quote

Airleg wrote:
Thanks very much tehillah1, knew there would be a link
somewhere.....probably try the graffiti remover...will
give it a few tests first...👍👌
Cheers
Chip

No worries, Chip. This site and forum are a treasure chest once you learn how to navigate and asking questions is always the quickest way I've found to locate the stuff I need.
Cheers back at ya!
Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting back old paint Reply with quote

I've done some, and every paint is a little different to strip. You never know exactly what kind of paint it was, if it had a hardener, or any surface prep.. they are all different. Trick is to experiment with different solvents and different soak times. Once you get that dialed in, it's just a ton of elbow grease and rags. Better to be conservative than accidentally cut into the original paint
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting back old paint Reply with quote

x2 on what esde shared....start with an area that you can afford to go too deep on or that won't show in the end to find out what works best...in the end it's elbow grease for sure
Airleg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting back old paint Reply with quote

Thanks Edse and tehillah1, started stripping back paint in trunk area...the paint is very thin and it's a mission.
Spent about 2 1/2 hrs and would be lucky if I've done 2 sq feet,
it's really slow around the underneath of trunk seals and around
body bolts and chrome clips etc.
I went with the graffiti stripper that's available in Ozzie, it's pretty aggressive and using it at a ratio of 1/5 and 000 steel wool.
It looks heaps better than it was.
Appreciate the advice Fella's 👍👌
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: