Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

original spindle install help
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gravee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: original spindle install help Reply with quote

Hey there,
I have a 67 bus where I had to replace my lower torsion arm because the shock stud snapped off while removing the nut. This was probably the first time since 67 the spindle has been off (I have owned it for 30 years) When getting the torsion arm off I decided to clean up the spindle. I left the king pin alone but pulled and cleaned the link pins. I ended up needing a new sway bar metal clamp thing so decided to install the sway bar before putting the spindle on. I have tried twice to install the spindle and the top face of the spindle does to go all the way in against the upper torsion arm. There is maybe a 1/8 inch gap.

The only difference was me cleaning the spindle and a new to me original lower spindle which installed easily and is flush up where it goes.

I would appreciate any thought on what is happening here.

Thanks
Matt
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: original spindle install help Reply with quote

Turn each link pin until you can drop in each of the clamping bolts and install the nuts loosely. Then try turning each link pin to pull the spindle inward.
Vanell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: original spindle install help Reply with quote

The top seal is correct but the bottom one is on the wrong way
Did you measure for the correct amount of shims now that you have replaced the lower arm. I sure someone on here can put up a diagram of it
Regards Ian
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: original spindle install help Reply with quote

Yes, the linkpin parts are installed incorrectly. As mentioned above the bottom top hat is installed backwards and you have the upper parts installed incorrectly as well - the small rings go against the trailing arm.

I would recommend that you review the diagram in the Bentley manual or the the one in the parts list if it’s not shown clearly.
gravee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: original spindle install help Reply with quote

Wow, really good eyes everyone. I thought I took so much care to install as I pulled it apart. Clearly not though. Does anyone have a pic of the Bentley Manual that shows how the parts assemble. After all these years I still never bought a Bentley Manual.

Do you think the sway bar should be removed to avoid any kind of pressure on the lower arm making the geometry off for the link pins? I was able to jack the lower one up slightly to see if that changed the fit, but could devise a way to separate the upper and lower arms to see if that helped.

Thanks
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: original spindle install help Reply with quote

gravee wrote:
Wow, really good eyes everyone. I thought I took so much care to install as I pulled it apart. Clearly not though. Does anyone have a pic of the Bentley Manual that shows how the parts assemble. After all these years I still never bought a Bentley Manual.
I would consider buying a proper manual with all the money you are saving by doing this yourself.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gravee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: original spindle install help Reply with quote

Fair enough. Always have for better or worse. Unfortunately no one out here in Vermont to take such projects on even if I wanted. I clearly see the issue with the big bowl washer/ seals. I am curious about the the comment about the smaller orings. Those go on the outside of those bowl washers? I will try to find a pic. Thanks
gravee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: original spindle install help Reply with quote

Just bought the Bentley. Pretty worthy 100 spend. Thanks for the nudge.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: