Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gecko Green Manxter #188 - Wiring and Electrical Work
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atomic Aerospace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:50 pm    Post subject: Gecko Green Manxter #188 - Wiring and Electrical Work Reply with quote

"A special thanks to all who share their knowledge in these forums. I have found people's posts, knowledge and pictures quite helpful. Reading through people's build posts has helped me prepare for my build. I am hoping to document my build on here and, in turn, perhaps be of help to future builders too. This community is a wealth of talent and information."

I've been putting it off for a while, but the time has finally come to purchase a wiring harness. I'm not going to start the wiring just yet, but for budgetary purposes I need to get the harness soon. I've been dreading the wiring, so I have been avoiding the subject. Ironically enough, my Dad is an electrical engineer, so i've been around wiring most of my life. Hoping people can provide some recommendations for good wiring harnesses. I've heard Rebel Wiring quite often, however there are numerous Rebel harnesses available. Not sure which one i'll need? Also heard mixed reviews on Painless Performance.

I have been strongly considering this harness:
https://www.discountbandit.com/american-autowire-510419-62-74-volkswagonwiring-harness.html?gs=1
Seems like a good harness at a decent price, it even comes with a fuse box.

I really like what dbsmith did with his wiring and fuses, i'd absolutely love something like his setup! Laughing Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've already ordered custom gauges from Speedhut. They cost an arm and a leg, but that's the way the build goes! I'll post pictures once they arrive.
Gecko Green Manxter 2+2 (#188) "The Last Manxter"

"Meyers Manx embodies the spirit of freedom, creativity and fun. No other car gets more smiles per mile than the Meyers Manx!"

From homeless to homeowner.
From uneducated to an MBA scholar.
From a nobody to a corporate aerospace manager.
From a boy to a self made man.
From a dream to reality.

Last edited by Atomic Aerospace on Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Gecko Green Manxter #188 - Wiring and Electrical Work Reply with quote

AAW does make a nice wiring kit, but it won't include a ground wiring "system", just generic grounds to the chassis & steel body. Also I found I couldn't get decent crimps on their connectors without using their specific crimping tools - and I tried (and purchased) several other crimpers. I finally threw in the towel and got their crimper set, which are very nice tools and useful for other crimping operations I've needed. Effortless perfect crimps every time!
AAW also has some of the best wiring schematics in their technical info I've come across - specifically for dealing with VW wiring oddities (like the VW headlight relay/dimmer).
Jeff
Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Gecko Green Manxter #188 - Wiring and Electrical Work Reply with quote

The harness in the picture appears to be the older VW version from Watson's StreetWorks. I have the same one in my '69 Beetle. Their current version (which from the manual appears to be a Rebel harness) includes ground wiring for use with a buggy --

https://watsons-streetworks.com/product/rebel-wire-v-w-bug-deluxe-wiring-harness/
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Gecko Green Manxter #188 - Wiring and Electrical Work Reply with quote

Recently I put the Speedway 12 circuit wiring harness in my buggy, and I have nothing to say but good things. It was a great kit & easy to follow. I recommend it. It plugged right into the IDIDIT steering column and that made it easy.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/12-Circuit-Mini-Fuse-Universal-Hot-Rod-Wiring-Harness-Kit,2352.html

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Gecko Green Manxter #188 - Wiring and Electrical Work Reply with quote

Several good harness systems out there, but they are worthless if you don't have proper crimping tools and follow good procedures.....I would use nothing less than a ratchet style crimper that had changeable jaws to use on the different types of terminals you may use.... And the type of terminals you use to make the connections...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Atomic Aerospace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Gecko Green Manxter #188 - Wiring and Electrical Work Reply with quote

GS Guy: Thank you for the information. I'm not opposed to purchasing specialty tools. Luckily I work in aircraft maintenance, so my avionics coworkers have a large variety of specialized crimping tools. If I go with the AAW wiring kit I may try their avionics crimping tools before I spring for new AAW tools.

Kafer Mike: Thanks for the info, that does seem to be the harness I need. Not sure the difference between the AAW harness and the Rebel harness? There seems to be a nearly $200 difference, so i'm wondering why the Rebel harness is $200 cheaper?

Slayer61: That's a good price! My steering column is a Flaming River, but I suppose it could be rigged pretty easily. Not sure why it's so cheap compared to the others? It seems like it could be a good deal?

Dale M: Agreed, crimping tools are very important. Like I mentioned to GS Guy, I work with avionics technicians. They have toolboxes of avionics tooling, including specialized crimpers. I'll see if their tooling works before I splurge and get my own tooling.
Gecko Green Manxter 2+2 (#188) "The Last Manxter"

"Meyers Manx embodies the spirit of freedom, creativity and fun. No other car gets more smiles per mile than the Meyers Manx!"

From homeless to homeowner.
From uneducated to an MBA scholar.
From a nobody to a corporate aerospace manager.
From a boy to a self made man.
From a dream to reality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Gecko Green Manxter #188 - Wiring and Electrical Work Reply with quote

Quote:
.I would use nothing less than a ratchet style crimper that had changeable jaws to use on the different types of terminals you may use....

I have one for sale......
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: