Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eccentric camber adjusting bushing
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1970fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Eccentric camber adjusting bushing Reply with quote

What kind of steering would you get if the notch in the eccentric camber adjusting bushing is facing backward?
Just found out that mine is facing to the back and the Bentley manual says it should point forward, i think the allignment shop did this a few years ago but never noticed Rolling Eyes
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Eccentric camber adjusting bushing Reply with quote

it normally starts facing forward if you don't know where it was, but the actual camber when measured specifies where it will end up. You could have a bent part, or the shop may not have set the correct camber. Find an old time shop if you can. The newer shops aren't likely to have experience with a VW bus.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Eccentric camber adjusting bushing Reply with quote

Insufficient caster will cause the vehicle to want to go anywhere but straight ahead. With the notch forward you have significantly more caster than with the notch facing back.

To achieve maximum caster, what I recommend is that you always have the notch facing dead forward +/-45°, if you can't get the camber in spec doing this then try to get the camber on both sides the same, all the while keeping the notches on both side within 45° of dead forward. It won't hurt much if the camber is a bit out of spec so long as both sides have the same camber.
1970fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Eccentric camber adjusting bushing Reply with quote

Thanks Guys, i gonne adjust it with the notch pointing to the front and report back how the ride is compared to my old setting.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Eccentric camber adjusting bushing Reply with quote

Use a coupon and take it to an alignment shop.
Give them these specs.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Eccentric camber adjusting bushing Reply with quote

1970fun wrote:
Thanks Guys, i gonne adjust it with the notch pointing to the front and report back how the ride is compared to my old setting.

That's really funny. LMAO Laughing

They make a cheap $10 - $15 camber alignment tool you can put on a flat surface and see what your camber is. I don't know if they make one that has a large enough surface area to mount on a VW bus wheel though. It's really designed for tires where a rotor is exposed. A tape measure will set toe. Get them wrong and the damage to the tires will cost you more than an alignment.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

1970fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Eccentric camber adjusting bushing Reply with quote

Well adjusted it today after i marked 3 edges of the nut and turned it 180 degrees to the front, that should do it for the test ride.
Noticed a little better straight ahead driving but not as much as hoped for but my still prety stiff febi ball joints could play a part in this as well!
Needs further allignment at a good shop, any pointers for a full tank or not and extra weight in the front cabin?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Eccentric camber adjusting bushing Reply with quote

1970fun wrote:
Well adjusted it today after i marked 3 edges of the nut and turned it 180 degrees to the front, that should do it for the test ride.
Noticed a little better straight ahead driving but not as much as hoped for but my still prety stiff febi ball joints could play a part in this as well!
Needs further allignment at a good shop, any pointers for a full tank or not and extra weight in the front cabin?

Actually you would want to mark the original 90° location towards the wheel, measure the angle between the 90° position and the notch, say 50° and then turn the eccentric until the notch was 50° in front of the 90° position. This should give you close to the same camber as you had originally, but yes going to an alignment shop would be best.

There are some good DIY threads and it doesn't take much in the way of tools to do a front end alignment, I just use a tape measure, a torpedo level, and an easily made jig. A dead level surface is require if you aren't comfortable with math.

Have the alignment done with the weight you typically have on board, remember to put some weight up front to simulate the driver and passenger.
Busdriver79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Eccentric camber adjusting bushing Reply with quote

Who sells replacement eccentric bushings?..The bushing in the left upper ball joint is stuck and I can't get it off..Right side OK..Ideas?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Eccentric camber adjusting bushing Reply with quote

Busdriver79 wrote:
Who sells replacement eccentric bushings?..The bushing in the left upper ball joint is stuck and I can't get it off..Right side OK..Ideas?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Busdriver79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Eccentric camber adjusting bushing Reply with quote

I found a good way to remove this bushing...use a pneumatic muffler "burp gun" Very Happy with a flat head blade...a quick burst, and VOILA !!! Thanks anyway, Busdaddy.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Eccentric camber adjusting bushing Reply with quote

Good to hear it worked, the wedge is a very powerful tool, aim for the old ball joint to avoid F'ng up the bushing too much.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Eccentric camber adjusting bushing Reply with quote

1970fun wrote:

Yes, until (if) they loosen up even the correct caster won't be enough.
Good Old Dusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Eccentric camber adjusting bushing Reply with quote

I used a ball joint separator to remove the bushing from the ball joint.

The question I have now is, should I put anti-seize compound on the outside of the bushing before reinstalling it into the steering knuckle?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Eccentric camber adjusting bushing Reply with quote

it won't hurt anything in my opinion. Do clean it well first. Smile
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Eccentric camber adjusting bushing Reply with quote

Busdriver79 wrote:

Busstom in the Lowering thread posted a link to new, more eccentric bushings.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/162604378677
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Eccentric camber adjusting bushing Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
Busdriver79 wrote:

That link says the eccentric fits and Bus but the application chart says it does not. I wouldn't buy without getting clarification from the seller.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Eccentric camber adjusting bushing Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Shonandb wrote:
Busdriver79 wrote:

That link says the eccentric fits and Bus but the application chart says it does not. I wouldn't buy without getting clarification from the seller.

I think a couple places sell refurbished ones that have been re-plated. There is really no reason to need a new one. Most are in excellent shape once cleaned up. That said, the part number is 211405319 / 211-405-319 . Google it and pick someone you like who sells it. Even CIP has repros. There are many ads for them. I am pretty sure Ken Madson at TheBusco or Chris at Busted Bus, Averys Air Cooled would have good used ones.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Eccentric camber adjusting bushing Reply with quote

[quote="busdaddy"]
Busdriver79 wrote:
Who sells replacement eccentric bushings?..The bushing in the left upper ball joint is stuck and I can't get it off..Right side OK..Ideas?[/quote

This is 3.5 yrs old, and the poster solved it, but for posterity, I was going to suggest another option: cut the stem of the ball joint just above the eccentric, then invert it on a press and drive the stem out.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Eccentric camber adjusting bushing Reply with quote

or use one of these and a press or BFH

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: