Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

To Notch the lifters / Hoover mod. or not?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters / Hoover mod. or not? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
If the center post is thin on the top from clearancing why not just open up the bottom and leave the top alone?

Also, why just a single slot on the lifters? The Hoover mods call for 3 slots as I recall.

Maybe more than one.
So many people on the fence with this theory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters / Hoover mod. or not? Reply with quote

If the center post is thin on the top from clearancing why not just open up the bottom and leave the top alone?

Also, why just a single slot on the lifters? The Hoover mods call for 3 slots as I recall.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters / Hoover mod. or not? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
1/8 NPT is what most would use.
that's larger than it actually needs to be but the case is thick enough around there it should work fine.

There is 1/16 NPT but the taps seems not to live long and they seem to get stuck easy, bet I'm not the only one. That might be too small or it might not I don't recall.

Well I did it.
Couldn't locate 1 long 7/32 twist drill so I settled for 3/16. ( 1/32 smaller).
Did a crap load of measuring and found there to be enough meat where needed and after drilling the cam bearing post to connect the horizontal drilling I found i was all in with 3/16" to spare everywhere.
Breathing easier now. Onto some more fine tuning and a single notch in the lifters.

1/8NPT took care of the end plug beautifully.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters / Hoover mod. or not? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
that's larger than it actually needs to be but the case is thick enough around there it should work fine.

There is 1/16 NPT but the taps seems not to live long and they seem to get stuck easy, bet I'm not the only one. That might be too small or it might not I don't recall.

Well I did it.
Couldn't locate 1 long 7/32 twist drill so I settled for 3/16. ( 1/32 smaller).
Did a crap load of measuring and found there to be enough meat where needed and after drilling the cam bearing post to connect the horizontal drilling I found i was all in with 3/16" to spare everywhere.
Breathing easier now. Onto some more fine tuning of the bearing post slots and a single notch in the lifters. Cant do too much with the center bearing posts where they have stroker clearance for the rods.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters / Hoover mod. or not? Reply with quote

modok wrote:

Yup 1/16 NPT would be a loser.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters / Hoover mod. or not? Reply with quote

Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters / Hoover mod. or not? Reply with quote

What is the recommended method of closing up the hole where the case plug was after drilling?
I was thinking a small NPT pipe plug but if you guys have a tried-and-true method I'm in.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters / Hoover mod. or not? Reply with quote

Makes no sense to me…without the port open more oil would flow into case sump area as it dead heads there instead of going to the lifters/pushrods

Plenty of engines built without it, but I see it as a benefit.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters / Hoover mod. or not? Reply with quote

RickS wrote:
I find it interesting that Todd Francis, who produces the TF-1 case, does the horizontal drilling, but does not drill through the cam saddle. He leaves that up to each individual to decide if they want to do it. He told me some builders aren’t sold on the idea. Food for thought.

I heard one negative about extra oil up to the saddle as they claimed that extra oil would add to the oil that escapes simply because of the cam to bearing clearance. The point was that that extra oil would be added to the amount of oil slung all over by the cam gear and add to oil mist in the case, etc.
RickS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters / Hoover mod. or not? Reply with quote

I find it interesting that Todd Francis, who produces the TF-1 case, does the horizontal drilling, but does not drill through the cam saddle. He leaves that up to each individual to decide if they want to do it. He told me some builders aren’t sold on the idea. Food for thought.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters / Hoover mod. or not? Reply with quote

This why I said above to not mess with the oil slots/paths in the bearing saddle. The clearancing done on the aluminum cases pretty much removes that option.

Drilling and connecting the ports is super easy on the aluminum cases…as you see it’s almost done.

VW did make these mods on the Type 4, but never did on the Type 1 because they were cheap low power/low rpm engines
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters / Hoover mod. or not? Reply with quote

Connecting the oil passage seems like a good idea. I have not done it to any of my own engines yet, but can't see a real downside unless you drill too far.
Did it to one engine I built for a guy, that was a BUS engine so maybe it will helpful.

ALSO don't forget to put the oil pump in and see that the case passages line up correctly with the oil pump. Any air leak on the INLET side of the pump is bad news. That can bite you if overlooked.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters / Hoover mod. or not? Reply with quote

It seems to me that the pathway is already there thru all the lifter bores right up to the last one. It almost makes no sense that the factory wouldn’t have gone all the way to the end. Where the cases were milled and drilled it would have been a free modification that cost VW nothing. An extra 10 seconds and a drilling down thru the bearing post wouldn’t have taken them more than a minute per case .

So with that said why didn’t VW do it??
With the level competence and extreme engineering the Germans were capable of this couldn’t have been an oversight.
With feedback coming to VW from across the globe why were these two drillings not done. My new aluminum case has the bearing post drilled about 80% in already with a large supply galley.

My lifters aren’t Udo’s but simply CB lightweights. At 69 I’m not planning on ever seeing them again or hope I never have to Lol!!
As you can see the center bearing post is reduced from stroker clearancing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters / Hoover mod. or not? Reply with quote

It seems to me that the pathway is already there thru all the lifter bores right up to the last one. It almost makes no sense that the factory wouldn’t have gone all the way to the end. Where the cases were milled and drilled it would have been a free modification that cost VW nothing. An extra 10 seconds and a drilling down thru the bearing post wouldn’t have taken them more than a minute per case .

So with that said why didn’t VW do it??
With the level competence and extreme engineering the Germans were capable of this couldn’t have been an oversight.
With feedback coming to VW from across the globe why were these two drillings not done. My new aluminum case has the bearing post drilled about 80% in already with a large supply galley.

My lifters aren’t Udo’s but simply CB lightweights. At 69 I’m not planning on ever seeing them again or hope I never have to Lol!!
As you can see the center bearing post is reduced from stroker clearancing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters / Hoover mod. or not? Reply with quote

grinding a little groove in the lifters is of such low importance that I don't care if you do or not. I doubt it will matter.

Unless they are really nice lifters, in which case I'd be more hesitant to do it because the next guy might feel different about it.
If they are cheap lifters that will get thrown away later then go for it.

It's a part of the VW history now, being notable as the one thing Hoover and Berg actually agreed about, so that's cool. But it doesn't mean it's important in how the engine performs, FAR down on the list.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters / Hoover mod. or not? Reply with quote

Howard 111 wrote:
Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.geneberg.com/popup_image.php?pID=415

Yes.
I plan on doing that.
I’ve seen three different examples of one slot opposite the oil hole, one slot lined up with the oil hole, and three smaller slots.
The angle makes sense to me but lining it up with the oil hole seems like a bad idea.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters / Hoover mod. or not? Reply with quote

I do see the saddle is reduced on the clearanced case.
Maybe I’ll just radius the top ends of the supply holes.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters / Hoover mod. or not? Reply with quote

By completing the drill mod you’re creating a second path of oil to the lifters > pushrods > head.

More available volume so that when you slot the lifters you get the additional oil to the heads.

Porting the oil slots in the cam bearing saddles is the one I don’t do. With the second path it’s unnecessary and if you do it, both sides of the case need to align…meaning port both equally. Good luck with that. On a clearanced case there’s not much meat left on the saddle to do so.
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters / Hoover mod. or not? Reply with quote

Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.geneberg.com/popup_image.php?pID=415
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters or not? Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
For Hoover mod…connecting rear cam bearing oil port to lifter port on 1-2 side of case

The way I am seeing this Hoover Mod. after studying the case halves and oil passages I can see benefit in porting out the center cam bearing posts on both halves of the case for getting extra oil to let's call it the "low pressure" side of the case and balancing it out a bit with benefit up the 1 & 2 cylinder pushrods.

The part that seems to be not worth the risk ( of course there is risk) in drilling under the rear cam bearing post on the right side of the case the only benefit is more oil to that side of the cam bearing and that being the only benefit. The only thing it connects is the No.2 exhaust lifter bore with the bearing post and maybe on the extreme adding extra oil dumped off of that bearing onto the cam gear and slinging it around.

Correct me if I'm not seeing something here. I am very interested in this.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: