Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
broozebrothers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:08 pm    Post subject: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

This whole Original paint patina thing has gotten outta hand .. I see cars that have been stripped of layers of repaints to put back to First paint that just look like crap and guys are like , “it’s original paint “ come on ,, it’s one thing if you have a survivor bus that has never been painted but many of these strip downs look like crap . And then they want to ask crazy prices like if the bus had a proper restoration or if it a nice survivor bus And the ones that are rusty hulks , that’s a whole other rant . So where should you draw the line ? Sometimes original paint isn’t a good thing in my opinion . Sometime you just gotta let it go and paint the thing .
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

Some people say it's only original once, and other folks are hellbent on proving them wrong.

To me, original paint and patina are like artwork, and I am picky about the art I like. I also say that the only person you should be trying to impress is yourself. So if a person likes it, then that is a good thing. If they expect someone else to pay a premium for bad art, good luck with that.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

I stripped off 3 layers of paint to get back to this so 🤷‍♂️

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hoagy86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

I like og paint buses but love all buses good or bad looking it’s just nice if they are driving not rusting away sitting
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

I’ve never met a Bus I didn’t like.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

I'm from a time when patina was just rust.

Body and paint work is really expensive to hire out, and super time consuming to try and learn, with limited results in the backyard because it a practiced art form, really.

I'm glad the rat rod, and patina, and "OG" scene developed. The barrier to entry into the hobby is much lower, and a cool ride is much more accessible to anyone willing to turn a wrench.

There is room for every form of expression, which is why I really like the car culture.

That said, in the "as found" categories to me there is OG, there is patina, and then there is rat.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

broozebrothers wrote:
This whole Original paint patina thing has gotten outta hand .. I see cars that have been stripped of layers of repaints to put back to First paint that just look like crap...

A very wise, astute man once said, "Well, that's just, y'know, like, your opinion, man."
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

I like patina. I hear some of your arguments though! Everyone is telling me to paint this ford. No way in hell.

My old single cab (stock height but the dirt made it look lowered)

My new ford w my 71 bus
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

Both of your rides are awesome
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

busmania wrote:

I’ll say it again! ^^^ The proper way to lower a truck!^^^ Cool
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

busmania wrote:
I like patina. I hear some of your arguments though! Everyone is telling me to paint this ford. No way in hell.

My new ford w my 71 bus

Painting that car would be a crime.
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

So would letting it rust to death.
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

Who really cares? it's your vehicle, do what you want. Patina had a big come up because it was unique in a sea of scalloped, easter egg color cars or fresh painted stock restos. Everything has it's place in different folks eyes, just let them be happy.

Slammed Thing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9278729#9278729
Lifted Split Bus Build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738403
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:
So would letting it rust to death.

Unless it keeps getting covered with salt spray, it will outlast both of us just the way it is.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

I remember when I was young, and I'd find old VW buses abandoned or in junkyards, and I would shed a tear and say, they can never be driven again like that.

Boy was I wrong.

There are buses, however, where broozebrothers has a legitimate beef. So much of the old paint is lost, and so much ugly bodywork underneath is visible, that leaving the damn thing naked is an embarrassment to both the bus and the owner. It is possible to create an eyesore if you work hard enough at it.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

I like og paint.

I know a bunch of people have talked crap about my og paint buses, and I guess they feel any rust or paint flaws should be 'fixed'

A pic of this 15 on Instagram had comments that it was "really rusty". Rolling Eyes

That bus doesn't even have patina, though. Strong og paint there. I like a good fade, too.

But my 56 westy, after the rust fixing welding was done, and the nose job, and the deep scratches under the 70s repaint, I figured that one gets a re-spray.

I have not re-painted this 53 bus:
does the og poster think it is really rusty? or patina?

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

Patina is just another watered-down word defined in the eye of the beholder. There's a myriad of examples now at every show so I've found the patina I like most is simply when it's on a car owned by a cool person.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

You should draw the line at what you want to do to your own car and stop giving a damn about something that's now yours.
There are plenty of cars of varying styles that aren't to my taste but why care enough to make a post?
What are you going to do? Go up to owners at events and say "By the authority of thesamba forums we have determined your Bus is in fact NOT patina and must be repainted!" Laughing

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zehbeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

VWAdam wrote:
Go up to owners at events and say "By the authority of thesamba forums we have determined your Bus is in fact NOT patina and must be repainted!" Laughing

What a wonderful idea to make lots of new friends Laughing

von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Patina —- where should we finally draw the line ? Reply with quote

I love patina and I don't mind surface rust.

I would drive this Westy all day long and leave the body/paint the way it is.

To each their own
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: