Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

question regarding rocker arm replacement studs
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
borna428
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject: question regarding rocker arm replacement studs Reply with quote

Hi all,
I had a damaged rocker arm stud, which only the 8MM portion of the stud was damaged.
I ordered new studs and removed the bad one. Now when I try to screw the new stud in, it won't go in more than 2 turns. I checked the threads and both the old and the new are 10MM x 1.5.
I tried to screw in the old stud and goes in fine. Why both studs are 10MM x 1.5 and the new one won't go in more than 2 turns? what can I do to fix the issue? Should I re tap the stud hole?
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: question regarding rocker arm replacement studs Reply with quote

borna428 wrote:
Hi all,
I had a damaged rocker arm stud, which only the 8MM portion of the stud was damaged.
I ordered new studs and removed the bad one. Now when I try to screw the new stud in, it won't go in more than 2 turns. I checked the threads and both the old and the new are 10MM x 1.5.
I tried to screw in the old stud and goes in fine. Why both studs are 10MM x 1.5 and the new one won't go in more than 2 turns? what can I do to fix the issue? Should I re tap the stud hole?

Instead of tapping the hole, maybe use a thread chaser on the new stud and the hole.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: question regarding rocker arm replacement studs Reply with quote

If the old stud goes in fine that indicates there could be nothing wrong with the threads in the head.
You don't want to run a tap in because that may remove too much metal.
As suggested if anything only run a thread restorer in there.
Try running a 10m x 1.5 nut onto the new stud to verify it's diameter and pitch is okay.

By the way, I believe Everett and the Mods would have you reopen your old topic about removing the studs rather than starting a new one everytime you have another question...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775514

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
borna428
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: question regarding rocker arm replacement studs Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
If the old stud goes in fine that indicates there could be nothing wrong with the threads in the head.
Try running a 10m x 1.5 nut onto the new stud to verify it's diameter and pitch is okay.

By the way, I believe Everett and the Mods would have you reopen your old topic about removing the studs rather than starting a new one everytime you have another question...

well that is thing. Both new and old studs go fine into a 10mm X 1.5 nut.
Old stud goes fine into the stud threads in the head but the new stud won't.
Kind of mystery as what's going on
borna428
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: question regarding rocker arm replacement studs Reply with quote

borna428 wrote:
61SNRF wrote:

well here is thing. Both new and old studs go fine and smoothly into a 10mm X 1.5 nut.
Old stud goes fine into the stud threads in the head but the new stud won't.
Also I tried a 10mm x 1.5 bolt into the stud hole and that won't go in either.
I also used thread gauge and validated both studs are 10mmx1.5.
Kind of mystery as what's going on
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: