Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: 1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build Reply with quote

Hey all!

Newbie to this forum but not to air-cooled VWs. I've owned several in my life but all were acquired via family and friends. So, I knew those bugs quite well.

I've recently retired, couldn't golf to save my life, and figured best to burn time tinkering on a bug again. Wading through a "dog's breakfast" of bug specimens, this one that caught my eye:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/537314524919188/

Yes, it runs. That said, it has mostly likely spent the majority of its time outside.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this one. Thanks!

***********UPDATE************************

Despite restoring/owning a 1978 Toyota FJ40, 1986 Jeep CJ7 and now the 19XX VW Beetle joins the garage, the wife still didn't demand that I sleep in out here or did I get a set of golf clubs for Christmas.

Now my second life begins taking a "farm find" VW Beetle into its next chapter which is leaning towards a Florida living Class 11 build (not extreme trail ride rated) as the garage mates are all old school 4x4s.

Last edited by Semper Gumby on Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:24 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

ZenithBlau 68. That color is the "Mood ring" of the VW colors. Depending on the ambient lighting. It could look grey, blue, or purple.

As far as the car condition goes.
It appears to be a good candidate for a driver.

It looks complete. Except for the luggage compartment carpet.

It appears to have 67 seat belts in it. Those tend to tighten down as you drive down the roadway. I used to have to release the lap belt to loosen it up while driving in LA traffic. Wink

I won't even guess if that is a good price for an southern car. But it does not look rusty, at all!

If the engine turns freely. It likely will start and run, with some fresh gas in it.
Never mind the above statement.

A couple weekends of work, for us still working. And you'd have a nice driver.
A retired guy could get it up and going in a week. Cool

Are you gonna look at it. Or depend on the sellers word and ship it?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!

Last edited by 67rustavenger on Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

I think it's a steal in this day and age. Looks solid, no rust. Are you able to see it in person to check the endplay and such? Maybe you can tune it enough on the spot to get it to turn on. I'd want to be able to drive it some to be able shift thru the gears to make sure clutch and tranny are sound.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick posts.

Seeing it will not be possible. The seller has provide me with time stamped videos of the bug running. From what I hear, it’s fine.

As for pricing, a true dog’s breakfast as stuff in Florida is spanning from high to WTF.

Being retired means I have all the time in the day to waste before my early noon nap.
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

If its not rusty and saves you from playing golf it's cheap at any price.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

Sounds like a go!!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

Semper Gumby wrote:
Seeing it will not be possible.

Hmmmm .... why not?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

Pull the trigger before some sneaky snake beats you to it.
Bugged Again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

Do it. One retired guy to another and that's a nice bug.
Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

Bugged Again wrote:

Made my offer on the bug. At some point, I’ll need to tell the wife that I won’t need any Christmas gifts this year. Very Happy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

Semper Gumby wrote:
Bugged Again wrote:

Made my offer on the bug. At some point, I’ll need to tell the wife that I won’t need any Christmas gifts this year. Very Happy

Laughed out loud at that post! Cool

I hope you are the winner on this buy.
It's really a nice car!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

Semper Gumby wrote:
Bugged Again wrote:

Whoa, wait a minute-----you're buying the car for her, aren't you? Wink
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

Semper Gumby wrote:

In my family, 90% of my disposable income goes for Mrs. Cusser's horses and dogs, buying another VW wouldn't raise an eyebrow !!!

However: I do have 5 vehicles, including 1970 sedan I've had since 1972, and 1971 Convertible I've had since 1976, so I don't need any more VWs !!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

Deal accepted. The 1968 will find its way to southwest Florida next week.

I may need to make space in the garage for me to sleep now. This Christmas will have a Clark Griswold feel to it. Laughing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

Well, look at the bright side.
FLA has warm weather this time of year.
Perfect for sleeping in the garage!

You made a great choice. The car is gonna be a dream.
Once you get the idiosyncrasies sorted. Wink

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

Congratulations!

Post some pictures of what you find once its home. Smile

p.s. from the pictures in the ad it looks super solid. Great starting point.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

Bravo!! Applause

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

Semper Gumby wrote:

I may need to make space in the garage for me to sleep now. This Christmas will have a Clark Griswold feel to it. Laughing

Not to worry. I'm sure Cousin Eddie will find space for you in the R.v.
Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

Again, thanks for the sage insights on the bug.

Connected with Jeff at 4 Corners Transport Services - the bug will be in sunny southwest Florida before this Friday.

Hopefully, I won't need a referral for a divorce attorney come Friday. Very Happy
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

You should make the deal as it seems like a decent one.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: