Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Beetle (farm find) restomod build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeonthebike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
You should make the deal as it seems like a decent one.

He did. He's waiting for delivery
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (updated) Reply with quote

After getting shafted by the car carrier, I drove from sunny southwest Florida to Tellico Plains, Tennessee the day after Christmas and through a snow storm to trailer it back.

With not one person willing to suffer the drive with me, I convinced the Chesapeake Bay Retriever to co-pilot the ride.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We found the Beetle sitting in a field with not a living person within miles of it.

He wasn't much help when we couldn't keep the VW running to load on the trailer. Luckily, my learnings on recovering disabled military vehicles came in handy - we got the VW trailers despite 25 degree weather and only Florida clothing on.

1,500 miles and 30 hours driving later, the 1968 VW Beetle is home.

It's better than expected as the former owner (now deceased) took care of it until his health went. From the conversations with the son, it hasn't run/driven in five (5) years and was owned for 36 years.

The former owner swapped out the 1968 engine and replaced it with a 1971 "AE" type as well as exchanging the seats for 1967 and the speedometer is likely 1976.

Some surface but no deep rust / rot issues.

Now the dog and I are trying to get it running -

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

Those Chesapeake Retrievers are terrible mechanics.
But they do make great traveling companions.
I miss mine, he was poisoned by a meth head neighbor.

I take it Mrs. Gumby, wasn't too upset at your diversion from your shitty golf game!

The AE engine case may be a replacement from the original engine to the car. It's still a single port, and those things are work horses.

Drain the fuel tank, install new rubber fuel lines, add some fresh fuel and give it a try.
It couldn't hurt to clean the carb too. Check the points, if it has any.
Adjust the valve lash with the engine cold.

The car looks great and you made a nice choice. Have fun with it!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

Fantastic. It's even better than expected. The history speaks volumes. Enjoy.

p.s. the land cruiser is a nice treat for the eyes
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

Wow, that was brave to make the drive north during the worst couple of weeks of winter yet this year. Just on the pictures, looks like you made a good choice. Great road trip companion too. Have one of those myself, just sized more for long trips in the Bug!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

Yes, Chesapeake Bay Retrievers are horrible mechanics but excel using the critique tool.

radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

Nice find, Great starting point!
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
Bugged Again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

It’s nice when we stumble upon a solid car like yours. It’ll be fun when you can say “it’s alive”.

Those old Land Crushers (sic) have to be the best off road machine ever built. Nice color too.
Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

Bugged Again wrote:
It’s nice when we stumble upon a solid car like yours. It’ll be fun when you can say “it’s alive”.

Those old Land Crushers (sic) have to be the best off road machine ever built. Nice color too.

Willy Wonka once said
Quote:
“So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it.”

It's almost 40+ years since I stared at an ACVW engine and wonder how to find the money to fix it. Today, it's the opposite with the "now" challenge of finding original parts for it.

Unlike the FJ40, Toyota's part system still carries a fair number of items for the 2F engine and chassis AND that system allows you to search it.

Surprised the VW parts system is dry / non existent. I tried the local VW dealer (a long shot try) and you thought I had a third eye ball.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

Semper Gumby wrote:

Surprised the VW parts system is dry / non existent. I tried the local VW dealer (a long shot try) and you thought I had a third eye ball.

Sad but true!

The only dealer part I found for my 67. Was the chassis drain rubber plug.
At that I had, to source it from the local Porsche dealer. Very Happy

For the most accurate replacement parts.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/

For replacement seats. Start digging through the classifieds here. I guess the FB market place could work for ya too.
Craigslist sometimes has guy's selling parts locally.

Be aware, most parts these days, new or used will need a little work to get fit. Or cleanup/paint before installation.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

I have to plug https://westcoastmetric.com. I believe WW gets the rubber seals and other bits they sell from WCM.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

Very nice find! I will be dropping in now and then to see what transpires!

Yep, the parts chasing is fun stuff! Keep your eyes open on all of the major selling sites! It is determination and persistence that pays off!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Semper Gumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Be aware, most parts these days, new or used will need a little work to get fit. Or cleanup/paint before installation.

True words have never been spoken

The PO was fond on mixing parts - another example:

This front light lenses assembly is not from 1968 unless I missed something. I finally cleaned it up enough to get the light to work.

The wife thinks I've loss my mind debating on the lenses -

While I must add new front and rear lenses covers, would you install the correct year front light assembly?
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

love the '68 bug. I drove one through out college for like 6 years, plus another 2 or three years later. Then the trans blew when my reverse lock out failed and I went from 3rd to reverse! I had built a 1641 with a counter weighted crank; Engle 110 with Kadrons and it ran so well. Loved that car. Although the IRS from '69 is pretty nice...

Nice Bug and Purchase!

Take me to Ponte Verda, PGA Sawgrass, and I will help you with your swing!
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

Semper Gumby wrote:
The PO was fond on mixing parts - another example:

This front light lenses assembly is not from 1968 unless I missed something. I finally cleaned it up enough to get the light to work.

The wife thinks I've loss my mind debating on the lenses -

While I must add new front and rear lenses covers, would you install the correct year front light assembly?

First, let me join the chorus of congrats on this great find! Applause Looks like it will be well worth the road trip you and the shop foreman took to bring it home.

My wife has also questioned my sanity over various VW related issues ... but hasn't filed papers to pursue conservatorship ... yet.

One advantage to going with "correct-for-year" assemblies/parts is that it takes the guesswork out of what replacement parts to purchase if needed in the future. Somewhere along the line the PO of my '69 bug replaced the front spindles with '66 - early '68 spindles which to the casual eye look the same as '69 spindles. I didn't discover this until I went to replace the inner and outer wheel bearings and found the spindle diameter to be too small for the '69 bearings that I had already purchased and packed. Needless to say I had to undo my work and order another set of bearings. d'oh!

One exception to going with "correct-for-year" would be safety upgrades, like a dual circuit master cylinder and disc brakes on earlier VWs.

Looking forward to following your work on this project! Smile

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

Semper Gumby wrote:

I put earlier light assemblies on my 72, because they are a better looking light in my opinion.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:

Last edited by Buggeee on Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
fredybear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (updated) Reply with quote

Semper Gumby wrote:

/img]

The Black Glove Box and Grills. Is the body a 68? My 68 is original color. anyone else?

Does The body match the vin?
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (updated) Reply with quote

fredybear wrote:
Semper Gumby wrote:

/img]

The Black Glove Box and Grills. Is the body a 68? My 68 is original color. anyone else?

Ah, interesting.

I bet it is a 68 though. 68 is the only year for a fat chick (late) body with a swing axle (early) trans right? This car has the fat chick body and a swing axle transaxle.

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (appreciated) Reply with quote

I’ve always found it useful to get the correct VW part number from here and start searching

http://oacdp.org/type1part.html

Some parts are still available from VW but you have to have someone in Europe to ship it to you or be a reselling dealer.

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.com/en_global/
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on this 1968 Beetle (updated) Reply with quote

fredybear wrote:
Semper Gumby wrote:

/img]

My guess is whatever car donated the front turn signals also donated a few other parts. 1968 did not come with silver wheels either.

After all, the larger lights and black dashboard were considered "improvements" by VW. It is possible a previous owner felt the same way.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: