Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So it begins
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: So it begins Reply with quote

Just starting this body off redo. not for the purist on here. Plans are a Porcshe 5 sp trans, twin turbo Subaru 2.0 . Lots of work but I'm hoping to be done sometimes around mid next year, Surprisingly the heater channels are in great shape. rest isn't too bad. I own a body shop so the body isn't a big deal. Wiring the different motor and putting a Porsche trans and adapting it all together might slow me down a little. I'll start slow right now cause we have the holidays upon us but after the first of the year i plan on moving right along.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: So it begins Reply with quote

Patina, yet as solid as they come. Nice.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: So it begins Reply with quote

Link

Very Happy Shocked Cool

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: So it begins Reply with quote

Plans are 2 in front beam. change over to 5 x 205 all around. disc fronts,dropped spindles.out back drop a little cause i want room for the widest tire i can fit. still not sure of what color to paint it or the wheel/ tire combo. but i have time for that.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: So it begins Reply with quote

Well at least the vent shades are not rusty. They will polish up.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: So it begins Reply with quote

Actually the rust is mostly on the outside panels . And not deep or through too many spots . Nothing I can’t handle with a little soda blasting . Since I’m changing it over to an early body most panels like the fenders,trunk and front and rear body panels will be changed anyway . I have 3 sets of doors off of other cars also
riva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: So it begins Reply with quote

Quite the opposite of a car with a deceptively good looking coat of paint and catastrophic rust underneath. I would be tempted to forego the blasting and keep this original look.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: So it begins Reply with quote

That looks solid.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: So it begins Reply with quote

riva wrote:
Quite the opposite of a car with a deceptively good looking coat of paint and catastrophic rust underneath. I would be tempted to forego the blasting and keep this original look.

In my neighborhood I would be shunned if I did anything but oil that shell. Its not how I was raised but if you aren't busy being born your busy dyin' (Dylan).

That is a rare example of forgiving but persistent weathering
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: So it begins Reply with quote

riva wrote:

Yes but i own a body shop and if i kept it like that it wouldn't look good on me.
doug bugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: So it begins Reply with quote

I know some guys that would kill for that patina!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: So it begins Reply with quote

bruceo98 wrote:
riva wrote:

Yes but i own a body shop and if i kept it like that it wouldn't look good on me.

Or you may find your shop inundated with a flood of requests for CLR treatment and a coat of satin clear. All the kids are doing it.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: So it begins Reply with quote

That’s the problem I guess . I’m an old sob.
Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: So it begins Reply with quote

If you are going to fix then fix it right! Don't think that the "patina" will not continue to progress until you have rot. If I wanted patina I would not fix the rust and I would not paint it, nor would I fix the engine. If you want the old look that should pertain to the mechanicals also shouldn't it? In my opinion what they are doing is not called preservation, it is called lazy!
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: So it begins Reply with quote

Rickf1985 wrote:
If you are going to fix then fix it right! Don't think that the "patina" will not continue to progress until you have rot. If I wanted patina I would not fix the rust and I would not paint it, nor would I fix the engine. If you want the old look that should pertain to the mechanicals also shouldn't it? In my opinion what they are doing is not called preservation, it is called lazy!

I plan on it . All new chrome and interior and a nice shiny paint job. Nice wheel and tire combo. Lowered and plenty of power . It will be my going to work car-that I can go to Car shows and cruising I only work 4 miles to my shop .Ive been having a truck that I used to tow my old race car that I sold so now that I don’t have that anymore I don’t need the big truck. Time to have a little fun . I ain’t getting any younger at 66 lol .
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: So it begins Reply with quote

Rickf1985 wrote:

AMEN!

Thumbs Up Popcorn

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: So it begins Reply with quote

Hey Bruce,Must of picked up a wrecked Porsche & Subi for the right price? Wink Laughing
Neat projeck ya got goin on,, Cheers,Mike
Ps ,you may have to widen them fenders to stuff some big meats under'em that will 'Hookup' Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: So it begins Reply with quote

Rickf1985 wrote:

I plan on it . All new chrome and interior and a nice shiny paint job. Nice wheel and tire combo. Lowered and plenty of power . It will be my going to work car-that I can go to Car shows and cruising I only work 4 miles to my shop .Ive been having a truck that I used to tow my old race car that I sold so now that I don’t have that anymore I don’t need the big truck. Time to have a little fun . I ain’t getting any younger at 66 lol .
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: So it begins Reply with quote

Ready for the blaster

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: So it begins Reply with quote

Moving quickly! Cool
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: