Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'57 vert from Latvia
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vabole.lv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: '57 vert from Latvia Reply with quote

Hi, folks!

The first story, then ask for help.
I'm located in Riga, Latvia (today it's quite a snowy place) and for almost 13 years I have had this great car imported from sunny California - my '57 vert. The legend says - it's been sitting in the fields from the late 70's with the roof down and so it shows Smile Newerless it was running here in Riga and I drove it for three happy years. And then came 2009. crisis

I parted with many of my cars at that time, but this one was genuinely speaking to me. But then again, needed to rebuild my company, find a place where to settle down, find a new garage... and then C-19 again.... so my favourite car switched seven different workshops and I'm now finally settled and rebuilding it.

The pan already has all the right parts and is ready for assembly, the body is still in the process, but for me, the most unclear thing is what to do with the engine. First - it's matching numbers, but, here comes the second - one cylinder does not have compression, the flywheel has broken the end of the crankshaft, and.... last but not least - I got the Judson supercharger. Like really cheap compared to current prices.

And I've been wondering - since I've abandoned this site for some time, where's definitely been some interesting oval projects and maybe some interesting engine specs to go through and check that's perfect for me. Would be very thankful for any interesting engine projects.

I'm adding a few pics, could add more if there will be such interest. Because me and the car share a lot of history

Factory certificate

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rusty but running with the new roof and stoplights

Traveling to the second workshop - the welder never started the project though

Few details from Latvian VW Beetle Club calendar

Last edited by vabole.lv on Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:19 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vabole.lv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: decades and decades of '57 vert Reply with quote

Adding few more pics

Rebuilt front beam ready for assambley

Escra raders, rebuilt for narrow tires

Pan and beam comes together

Rebuilding the gearbox

Original engine ready for the new challenges

vabole.lv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: decades and decades of '57 vert Reply with quote

And the final pack of pics
Testing the colors for the body.
Porsche Slate Grey 6001 vs L225 Jupitergrau vs L469 Anthracite

Decided to go Jupiter Grey, not original, but really good looking paint

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Decades and decades of restoration of my '57 vert Reply with quote

Ive never seen L333 before, vert only color and pretty nice! Im sure it would be impossible to match correctly. Darker than Iris blue, lighter than stratos.

vabole.lv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Decades and decades of restoration of my '57 vert Reply with quote

There are still bits of the colour underneath later attempts by some previous owners, but the thing is that I'm a architect/designer and the right look is quite essential for me... and to be honest.... I'm not a great fan of L333. So I'm looking for something period correct and after long research, I came across those 3 colours as my shortlist...

Yes, and one more thing, like 10 years ago when I started my restoration, I was thinking about the rat look option (with the existing matte grey colour) and that's when I ordered the new interior. And it's a combination of different shades of light and dark grey, which does not look good with L333. So, for me, there's no way back to original

vabole.lv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '57 vert from Latvia Reply with quote

Today was a day to train the imagination - I really needed some kick to visualize that's the outcome of all evenings in the garage. So I cleaned the dust from my Escras (been sitting for some time) and placed them next to the pan - just to see how my beetle would roll in the spring (or at least in summer).

Next week need to finish the disassembly of the body - everything is removed, just need to unscrew the doors. And then the body goes to sandblasting, but the gearbox meets soda blast. And then I start the opposite - assembly process - first front axle with narrowed beam, and after that - the gearbox and rear axle.

And the engine, of course, but since it's been quite quiet here, I jumped to the VIntage speed section and I'm trying my luck there. I Hope, I'll get the right setup and will be ready to kick the streets in style
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: