Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Its been nice....
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

Been selling lots of my VW stuff (parts, tools, just stuff) to many people over the last few months. All of them have been great to meet and its been nice to be essentially giving stuff away.

I have met some real nice people and heard some great VW stories.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

God Bless and peace to you and yours

❤️
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

Ditto
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

I get it.
While I still have my Vanagon, Bugs and Ghia's are but a fading image in the rear view mirror.

I Just don't have the passion for it any more.
Not to mention the huge time investment and cash needed.
Then there is the space. I've down sized to a much smaller home and no garage, just a work space.

Add in age related limitations, sore knees, sore wrists, failing eye sight and less flexibility......

Bugs, Ghia's ........ you've been fun for almost six decades but ....... adios!

All of my Type I stuff is gone.
For some reason I kept the Type I tow bars and I have a trailer hitch.
Also have a few tools that have been with me since the 60's but that's about it.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

Peace be with you.

I keep getting closer to selling our 69 Westfalia. Mechanical maintenance, rust, the age of the bus and the owner. And now (apparently) the cam gear is grinding on the oil pump.
As a friend reminded me, I am now in my 80th year. Time to clean out and simplify.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

I'm sure VWs have a place in the afterlife.

Peace.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

GOOD LORD I HOPE NOT!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

It's been Hell enough trying to keep them running here!! And who do you think is going to send out a parcel of VW parts addressed to:

OPRN

102 The Hot Place

Boiler Room B

c/o Satan???
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

I've been selling off parts since I realized that I'll never use them.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

Go till you blow, when you blow "oh no" Glen Plake. The day comes for us all.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Been selling lots of my VW stuff (parts, tools, just stuff) to many people over the last few months. All of them have been great to meet and its been nice to be essentially giving stuff away.

I have met some real nice people and heard some great VW stories.

Where you are in life reminds me of what my mother used to say.

She said "I hope that when it comes time for me to go to a nursing home, I hope I have the sense to go."

What you're doing and what my mom said tugs at heart.

I would say "May you find peace" but it seems as though you have found it. I hope when my time comes, I may go in peace too.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

“Go in Peace” is one of those phrases that fits all VWs just like aftermarket parts from faraway places.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

or go in 'pieces' Wink OP thank you for posting this thread. its nice to have perspective from those that are wiser and further along the path. may your vw always start on the first try!
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

Thanks guys....

When your time is limited your perspective changes. And I don't think I had a bad perspective before Very Happy . And its not all easy. Making sure my wife is not burdened and is financially in a good place is easy. Knowing this will be the last Christmas with my only child and my wife of 31 years is tough.

I have found out that I have touched a few lives that I really had no idea I did. When vacationing in Florida and visiting friends a few weeks ago my wife mentioned how my employer would be asking for all the computer equipment back that I use and how old and slow my desktop was at home. No way was I going to spend money my wife will need on a new laptop for the time I have left. But before I left FL I was given a brand new laptop and a large sum of cash that was generated from the people I was visiting going out to social media and telling my friends I "needed" a laptop. Just crazy.

In my new found spare time I have been fixing snow blowers and repairing cars for neighbors, their kids, and some friends for no charge. When someone insists on paying me I just ask them to tell my son that they "knew his father and he was a good man."

I have had a great life, and while these times can be very challenging, I have found peace with myself. The only pain I feel is the pain I believe my family will feel when I am gone, and that does sadden me deeply.

So go out and hug that elderly mother of yours who drives you crazy. Tell that sibling who you constantly fight with over silly things that you love them. Let your kids know that they made you proud. And don't ever forget to say thank you.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing , I’m glad you made it to the Holidays. I hope you can share them in Good Spirits.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

I wish you the best. thats the one thing I dread when I leave, leaving my kids, grans kids &wife. Ive been thining out my vw stuff for about 4 years, the 356&bug went to the same guy 3 years appart.along with massive amount of parts&peices each time. I wish he wasent 200 miles away he could get more of what I dont want( anything oe vw ) I still have most of my performance stuff ( 2332,2392,rino trans & piles of more that Im not ready to let go.about 80% of it is new. who knows I may get a bug up my ass and build a vw dragster....or something. but I doubt it, I now have little to no interst in vw's or working on anything. I suppose if I was still in a location like cali I may feal a little different. but other than the tottaly clueless moron vw car clubs there is nothing vw hear. & I too dont want my wife to have oh so much to dispose of. it would all go to the junk man. I wish you good luck with everything.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

I don't know you, but through your words I feel that you are an amazing human being. May you enjoy all that is still to come.
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

Truly. I sold $600 worth of parts for $100 to a local enthusiast when I moved and it made me happy to see him so excited about the pile he scored.
I always think about my Mom's advice when she was downsizing after Dad passed..." You know, all those nice things you have been saving will either be be really clean junk/trash or some even prized keepsakes, but the best thing to do now is use it up or give it away, 'cause when you are gone it's just leftovers." So I started using my 45 year old handmade afghan blanket from Grandma when I go camping.. it sat in the closet since 1986 or so.
So fwiw... it really doesn't matter how old you are, we are all approaching our time.... our focus should shift from any attention ,sress, spending time or $ on the BS of today's social media or keeping up with Anybody, and focus on how easy it when you let it all go!! Best of holidays to all!
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

2type2 wrote:
So I started using my 45 year old handmade afghan blanket from Grandma when I go camping.. it sat in the closet since 1986 or so.

Somewhat similar, I've admired Pelton blankets for awhile. There was an Acadia Nat Park edition on sale @ REI. I then realized the price was for a single and not a double or full and put it back. My wife cued in on this and made me buy it.

Then I didn't use it. Again she cured in on this and now it's on every van trip and even being used at home a lot of nights. And I'm enjoying it, instead of saving it for what?

I'm going to start chipping away at VW parts this winter. I have sold and given away a lot of stuff the last year. I've shed three engines (one w/ a hole) 2 trans, and in the last month - 8 tires, 4 which were on rims. The hard part is saving things in case I buy another van-and then I think I'm tapped out timewise with my interests, so why would I want another van?. More to let go of ...
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
2type2 wrote:
So I started using my 45 year old handmade afghan blanket from Grandma when I go camping.. it sat in the closet since 1986 or so.

Somewhat similar, I've admired Pelton blankets for awhile. There was an Acadia Nat Park edition on sale @ REI. I then realized the price was for a single and not a double or full and put it back. My wife cued in on this and made me buy it.

Then I didn't use it. Again she cured in on this and now it's on every van trip and even being used at home a lot of nights. And I'm enjoying it, instead of saving it for what?

I'm going to start chipping away at VW parts this winter. I have sold and given away a lot of stuff the last year. I've shed three engines (one w/ a hole) 2 trans, and in the last month - 8 tires, 4 which were on rims. The hard part is saving things in case I buy another van-and then I think I'm tapped out timewise with my interests, so why would I want another van?. More to let go of ...

Our mom decided years ago to use their sterling flatware and the good china every day - she said it's silly to only use it for special. So we do the same - I haul my trusty Pendleton blanket along on every camping trip, use my grandfather's Dietz lantern etc. I use the silverplate and decorate for all occasions so it looks nice and festive - so that every gathering is made special by the small effort it takes.

I'll admit I'm a maximalist, but take comfort in family things that surround me even though they are no longer there - my bookshelves that grandpa made, my grandmothers antique blue and white Chinese ware, artwork... My kids know that they are getting them to continue the tradition...

jspbtown you will live on in their hearts, and the hearts of those that you've helped along the way, and they in turn will hopefully carry on the same tradition of reaching out to help others - a pretty great legacy.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

When I’m on the east coast I have lunch with Mom on her Spode gold leaf, usually BLTs. I’m sure I’ll break one , someday, but the memories are priceless.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: