Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Its been nice....
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah....like I said, knowing that I have likely a few months left, while in my later 50's, has given me a real new perspective.

I got an XMas card from my old college roommate (we keep in touch once a year) and I took the time to send him an email thanking him for getting me through college. I was a terrible student, dropped out several times and finally went back to a state university at age 21 (living in the freshman dorm Rolling Eyes ) without knowing a soul. Got thrown in with a roomie who was from the area and he introduced me to his friends. He was a better student than I and attended classes far more than I did. He let me review the notes he took while HE attended class. I managed to get by and actually graduated. I tell everyone I went to college for 7 years to get my Bachelors degree Very Happy

I was working in a garage making almost nothing and living with my parents. Because I was able to graduate I was able to get a good job which turned into a great job which allowed me to have a nice house, have some toys, enjoy a hobby, allowed my wife to change careers mid-life, put a kid through a good college and allowed me to do nice things for people.

It just kind of came to me that his kind gestures...30 years ago....had given me so much. Sure..I worked for a lot of what I have...but so many people have helped, whether it was a slight nudge or something else.

He and I are gonna talk since he has no idea as to my diagnosis. But I told him we will connect after the holiday. Knowing this will be the last Xmas with my wife and son has started to weigh on me a bit and I can feel the frustration beginning to form so I need to focus on the joys of the holiday season and push my worries and concerns aside.

Again....enjoy the holidays...put things in perspective. I am gonna go watch some basketball with my son on the couch Razz
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

enjoy every second they have left with you. if there is something you or they want to do , make it so.
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

Thank you kindly for what you've contributed here.

I've been spending time with my Dad this X-mas & he dropped a bombshell that this will be the last year he & my stepmom will be having a get together. He is 88 now & is 100% walker dependant. They have been doing this for 29yrs.
It pains me to hear him say he mite not make it to a other holiday season.

Life is short ... nothing is guaranteed.
Make an effort to spend quality time with those that matter in your life.

Blessings to all ... stay safe

jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

So good news from me today.....No, my time here is still severely limited but after telling my wife and son "No gifts for Dad this year...it makes no sense"...I was ignored.

My son decided to get two tickets to a Duke basketball game at Cameron Indoor Stadium for he and I. He has booked the flights, made the hotel reservations and we are going to the 2/25 game.

He is a big Duke fan. He always wanted to go there and play but he was not blessed with D1 skills (he did play D3 and played in every game except 1 over his 4 year "career").

Its gonna be a great time. And yes damn it....I cried (although I thought I was out of tears).

Best Christmas ever.

Oh...he also is going to take his mother to a Carrie Underwood concert....I will stay home and watch the dog that night.

Life is good...no matter how short it might be.
VeeDubn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

Clearly you have raised a thoughtful young man. Keep that knowledge in your heart, knowing he will be there for his mom whenever she needs him.
~ Judy
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

Fantastic! Where are you staying, eating, etc? I live in Durham, please reach out if you need any recommendations to make your trip the best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

jinx758 wrote:
Thank you kindly for what you've contributed here.

I've been spending time with my Dad this X-mas & he dropped a bombshell that this will be the last year he & my stepmom will be having a get together. He is 88 now & is 100% walker dependant. They have been doing this for 29yrs.
It pains me to hear him say he mite not make it to a other holiday season.

Life is short ... nothing is guaranteed.
Make an effort to spend quality time with those that matter in your life.

Blessings to all ... stay safe

jinx

Take the reins, be the new glue that holds the family together (I seem to have taken over from our grandmother), I've been the one doing that for a while now, and am trying to instill in my kids that each generation needs multiple "glues" to keep the family gathering together for little celebrations (picnics, birthdays) and the big celebrations. I'm hoping my kids keep up the tradition, but they're a little more separated from their cousins than we were - so I'm hoping when they're older they see the importance.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

We are staying at the Hyatt Place in Cary NC and before the game we are going to go to The Original Q Shack on one night.

My son has planned all of this. We are going Fr-Sun so any other food places that you could recommend would be great.

I sent him and his cousin down there several years ago when you guys got hammered with snow. He had a great time but things got crazy with the weather. He actually missed a job interview in Boston because of the delays. He rescheduled and actually got the job and had a great story to tell to the interviewers.

He had a ball down there seeing Coach K and Zion.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

Quote:
Clearly you have raised a thoughtful young man. Keep that knowledge in your heart, knowing he will be there for his mom whenever she needs him.

Thank you.....I have indeed been blessed.

Its sad....my wife's father (my son's grandfather) died of this same condition at my same age 21 years ago. Watching them read the same book that will have the same ending over again is sad.

Times flies.....
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Its been nice.... Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
When I’m on the east coast I have lunch with Mom on her Spode gold leaf, usually BLTs. I’m sure I’ll break one , someday, but the memories are priceless.

Jspbtown, I’m glad you are still with us. I got caught up with Mom care over the past year, and she departed us at 93 after a mere 5 days in care.

We had Christmas dinner on her Spode and there was much rejoicing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: