Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing shop accelerator cable
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: Thing shop accelerator cable Reply with quote

What is this red sleeve on the thing shop accelerator cable
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing shop accelerator cable Reply with quote

Don't seen to recall any sleeve on the cables I've purchased from them before.

May be useful on the other end as an anti-chafing device as it enters the tunnel. I'll have to check my spares tomorrow.
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing shop accelerator cable Reply with quote

That is a bit of a head-scratcher. I doubt that little sleeve would make it all the way to the carb if pushed in and I wonder what it would actually be accomplishing on the pedal end besides potentially getting hung up on the entrance to the tunnel tube.

As a somewhat related side-note, my 1975 Beetle uses a cable that has a plastic sleeve almost the entire length (the cable can slide back and forth in the sleeve a couple inches). I don't care for that design because the sleeve tends to get hung up in installation where plain cables do not. That sleeved cable broke last weekend on me (after 10 years of use) and I fought trying to get a new sleeved cable to go back in and gave up after multiple attempts and some choice words. Did I mention that it was cold and raining? Thankfully, the cable broke while backing down the driveway, but unfortunately left me having to work on it without cover. I ended up installing Scat's super duty throttle cable, which I had intended to install in my Thing. It went in very smoothly (with lots of grease) and I am quite pleased with it. It is much smoother than the sleeved cable I had previously. My only minor complaint with the Scat cable is the pedal connection requires a small bolt and nut (from aircooled.net), which i dropped in the pedal cluster multiple times trying to install.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing shop accelerator cable Reply with quote

Maybe you could call them and ask them.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Thing shop accelerator cable Reply with quote

The sleeves like this are normally found on GEMO brand cables and are stamped with manufacturer part numbers. Something like "430 257" (I just made those numbers up but GEMO seems to use a 6-digit part number in this format)

Here's a GEMO cable with the sleeve (Bus cable but GEMO cables always have this). GEMO make the best quality cables so this sleeve means the cable is good!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: