Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche's model
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

Stunning! Thank you for sharing this information.

These models are really awesome. Even the door windows can be moved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

finster wrote:
christies sold one (number 3) in 1996 for £42,500 and this is their blurb -
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

An important 1:12.5 scale model of the K.d.F. Wagen "Kraft durch Freude" (Strength through Joy Car) built in the Porsche Apprentice School in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen during 1938, Registration Number 23.9.1941 and stamped No.3 on the crankcase and floor pan and with III scratched in the paint on the underside of the bonnet.

The removable bodywork has opening doors with spring loaded catches, opening bonnet and boot, instruments and switches, head and tail lights, bumpers, perspex windows and windscreen. The very detailed chassis is fitted with rubber tyred wheels, working rear suspension, brake drums and cables, working steering, spring loaded pedals, round fuel tank, gear and hand brake levers, upholstered seats, carpeted floor, battery box and cable and pressed ribbed floor pan. Engine details include gear box with filler plug, half shafts, starter motor, rocker covers, belt driven fan and ducting. coil and spark plugs, carburettor, exhaust pipes, silencer and other details. The bodywork is finished in black and chrome (boot catch and wipers missing), the chassis in lacquer -- 45.8 x 121.2ins. (11.7 x 31.8cms.)
Draft by Hitler of his idea of a people's car drawn in the summer of 1932 in Osteria-Bavaria in Munich for Jacob Werlin, Head of Daimler-Benz Neiderlassung and Hitler's advisor for cars "Take this with you" he said to Werlin, "and talk to the people who know more than I do but don't forget it. I want to hear from you how this thing is developing technically"
c.f. Die Welt 2.5.1981

Note:
It is understood that five models were built and many photographs exist of Adolf Hitler, on his 49th birthday 20.4.1938 being presented with one of these models, presumably stamped '1' by Reichsorganisationsleiter Dr Robert Ley; nothing is subsequently known of this example

No. 2 was apparently given to Dr Ferdinand Porsche and is understood to be still in the family's possession.

No. 3 was presented to Dr Robert Bosch by Dr Ley on the occassion of his 80th Birthday, 23.9.41 and is recorded by the numberplate and his initials in the centre of the near side instrument cluster. At the same time he was nominated 'A Pioneer of Work' and 'Honarary Master of German Trade and Industry'. Subsequently it was given by Dr Bosch to his chief technician, and thence by descent to the vendor.

No. 4 was presented to The Deutsches Museum Munich and is currently on display. The Deutches Museum have certified that their model is exactly in accordance with the example stamped '3', and in their opinion this model is genuine.

No. 5, the precise whereabouts are unknown at this time, but it is understood to be in a private collection in Germany.

I thought I remembered reading that there were a few made.

And the one in Munich is not the one given to hitler.

Being made in the Porsche Apprentice School makes sense since these would be very labor intensive to make.

It appears that there are some differences between the two, namely, the front bumper. The one in Munich has a solid front bumper. The auction example has a depression behind the license plate representing what we learned during VW38's restoration was a three piece bumper. The shape of the bumpers is also different based on the two real life versions.

Based on this, I would suspect that these weren't made at the same time. Otherwise they would all have the same details. It looks like changes were made to represent changes in the actual prototypes and production models. It is interesting that the one in Munich is apparently number 4 and the auction piece is number 3 so they must not have been numbered in the sequence they were made because by '41 they had adopted the one piece bumpers but VW38s had the three piece bumpers. There are not a lot of great pictures of the V303 bumpers but from what I can find, it looks like they had three piece front bumpers.

Yet the models appear to all have the VW303/early VW38 details such as the hood latch, door latch and squared off decklid (I am assuming on that detail)

https://media.gettyimages.com/id/542355191/photo/c...uRlTw-nkQ=

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/6...e=63CD9621

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.18169-9/...e=63CD969E

Look at the shadow of the bumper

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.18172-8...e=63CD8BD7

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld

Last edited by splitjunkie on Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

the photo (from barber's book) of the 1/15th scale model for dr ley

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...

Last edited by finster on Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

And thank you for discussing these models here, otherwise I wouldn't have seen it, because I don't look into the toys-thread.

Frohe Weihnachten!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

finster wrote:
splitjunkie - just to correct an error in your post :- according to christies the auction model was #3 given to bosch and munich museum have #4

Oops.
Thanks for catching that.

I have corrected my post.

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

that's ok - I've inserted a photo of the 1/15th scale model in my earlier post.

bluebaron wrote - I've seen a photo of the one that was presented to Willi Messerschmitt, and it had a dent in the roof, which made it appear to be thin metal.

I would like to see that photo, couldn't find it on the net... Rolling Eyes
he got a full size car in june '43

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

This is all I could find of the model with the dent. It looks like paint is missing on the left rear fender. It either looks rusted or like tarnished brass. Hopefully someone will post a better picture.

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

this dented one was auctioned in 2003. this is from the kdfwagenmodell webpage although they don't say what number car it is. it sold for 26,000euros -
Detailed one-off production of the prototype “pre-series VW 38 Porsche Type 60 1937/38” made of different metals, the seats and the floor covered with leather, the closed body made of embossed copper and painted black.

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

That one definitely lead a rougher life, but is still quite complete overall. Hopefully it has been preserved rather than restored.

I notice that it has the three piece style bumper detail.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

Okay, embossed copper. I said sheet brass. I was close! (Working from memory here, folks.)

Heinz Nordhoff
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

A question is, how accurate this description is. For me, on the pictures it looks like brass. Brass is also known to be used for modeling.
I know descriptons from high-end auction catalogues that are full with errors.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

I think it's more likely brass. Although, a quick search indicates that copper might be easier to form as brass is harder and more prone to stress cracking.

A question to me, is did they hand form these bodies or did they make dies to press them? Normally, you wouldn't dream of making press tools for a run of 5, but if they were made in the Porsche Apprentice school, I could see that as a worthy exercise to learn how to build the dies.

Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

Just adding to this thread.
The Robert Bosch scale model.

In 2020 I was alerted to an Instagram post showing previously unseen photos of a VW38 scale model located in the Bosch company archive.

The photos were made by Gregor Schilling at the Bosch archives and posted on his Instagram account @flat4flat6. I big thank you goes out to Gregor for taking these photos

The first scale model of the split-window VW38 was presented to DAF boss Robert Ley on 15th February 1938 which was his 48th birthday. This model was built to scale 1:15 and featured a period Berlin number plate IA-4714.

Later in the year there were five more slightly bigger models made to scale of about 1:13. Most sources say the models were built by workers at the Porsche factory at Stuttgart Zuffenhausen, however it may also be possible they were made at the Reutter workshops as this is where the early VW38 bodies were produced. One of the five models was given to Hitler on his 49th birthday and another went to Ferdinand Porsche himself. Number three of the series of five was given to Robert Bosch on his 80th birthday on 23rd September 1941. This particular piece has survived, however there is some unclear information as to the number of these models surviving to this day.

Chris Barber states in his book that one is at the Deutsches Museum in Munich, but the Robert Bosch model appears to be in the Bosch company archives. There is also a newspaper article stating that the Bosch model was to be sold at Christie’s Auctions in London. I have been advised that there are at least two of these models in existence.

The model itself is beautifully made featuring many details that are period correct for the VW38 such as all handles, the correct shape bumpers, fabric finished upholstery, detailed engine and gearbox and may other features. Interestingly the steering wheel looks more like the ones used on the three V303 cars. The rear license plate on the Robert Bosch car features the date 23.09.1941 which was the date of his 80th birthday.

The Robert Bosch scale model in its gleaming black paint finish. Note the proper shape front bumper only found on the early VW38 cars.

It appears the door window glass winds down or is it in a fixed half-open position?

The door handles are the correct shape and in the right position for a VW38.

Sturdy metal hinges are featured on both doors.

All wheels feature rubber tires and correct smooth hubcaps.

The rear licence plate on the Robert Bosch car features the date 23.09.1941 which was the date of his 80th birthday. Note the correct style of engine lid handle.

The interior features beautiful tan fabric interior and a four spoke steering wheel that reminds that of the V303 cars.

Plenty of detail has gone into the mechanical side of things with well detailed engine, transmission and suspension parts. Note the stamped number “3” on the engine indicating this is car 3 of series of 5.

The front suspension is just as well detailed with working steering and even the correct style of trailing arms with a pinch bolt seen only on the earliest cars. Again note the unique shape of the front bumper.

This is a newspaper article on the Bosch car that includes a brief historical note on how the car had been given to a Bosch company worked by Robert Bosch himself. It looks like the Daily Mail or Mail on Sunday (UK) from the layout and typefaces used.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

I could dust off a spot in the collection for one.

Heinz Nordhoff
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

What a great thread!!

I am surprised at the amount of detail given to that model and the fascinating backstory.
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

finster wrote:
this dented one was auctioned in 2003. this is from the kdfwagenmodell webpage although they don't say what number car it is. it sold for 26,000euros -
Detailed one-off production of the prototype “pre-series VW 38 Porsche Type 60 1937/38” made of different metals, the seats and the floor covered with leather, the closed body made of embossed copper and painted black.

The bare metal on the rear fender is copper, which was very common for hand shaping art objects in the early 1900s. My grandad was a ship's engineer and he made lots of little displays from copper. Brass is much harder to form, copper of the right variety (not annealed or heat treated) can be shaped pretty easily and would be the perfect material for this. The model maker would produce a wooden pattern and shape the panels almost like for a full size copy. With paint on top and understanding that these were not toys, they would be for display and cost a fortune to make, typically several months of work would go into one model.

Herr Goering was particularly fascinated by models and is known for being possible to bribe by making little model metal presses, so he could put pieces of metal in the toy and it would come out shaped like a front hood or whatever. So when you wanted funding for some war material, you first had to please mr Goering.

Thanks for a very nice tread!

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

I was remembering the amazing models made by gerald wingrove, I think he used copper and brass. but it looks like cmc make 1/12 scale models using formed .6mm copper panels.

Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

This model is currently exhibited at the Stiftung Auto Museum Volkswagen. The exhibition is The Volkswagen-Hobby - a worldwide phenomenon.
Special exhibition about the VW Beetle culture, open from 19 January to 31 August 2023. It appears to be the model that was presented to Ferdinand Porsche. It is very similar to the Robert Bosch one, with the main difference being the license plate which in this case reads KdF 1938. We have some photos of the same model earlier in this thread, but these new photos do it much more justice.
Photo credit: Christian Grundmann (via Facebook)

Fishynos72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

The mechanical details are incredibly. Particularly the gearbox

Thank you and Christian for the photos

1972 1302
1973 type2a
1957 type11
2005 Caddy panel van
2006 Golf R32
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

lovely patina, looks like the porsche kids have played with that one . and also maybe the handbrake is not very effective Very Happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: