Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche's model
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

love how they left the dents alone. Cool

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

What an amazing piece of history! Shocked
1964 Chop Top
KdF Matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

Have photographs turned up of the one given to Porsche?
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

isn't that the one on the previous page displayed at the VW museum?

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
KdF Matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

I'm not sure. I wrote to the Deutches museum 15 years ago or so and they sent me some pics from storage because ot wasn't on display when I wrote. I'll have to dig out the letter. I've read elsewhere the Porsche one was still with the family. Caption states model given by Porsche to A.H. for his 49th birthday. Of course, we know he got the real thing for his 50th.

Cheers
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

looking at the photos undis posted of the model on display at the vw museum I think that the label seems to say it was 1/12.5 scale, sheet copper, made by peter koch in august 1938 and ordered by the porsche family as no. 1 of a small series of 4 examples.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this from vintagevolkswagenmodels.com -
The firm of Peter Koch Modellwerk G.m.b.H., based in Köln-Nippes, Germany, was commissioned to produce some models of the post-war split window beetle as they also had made the pre-war KdF presentation models. The firm of Peter Koch was a very established and famous model making firm for shipping models, educational purposes and for the car industry.

this from smallbigwheels site -
In fact the first reproductions of the KdF-Wagen were some large 1:15 scale models made by Berger & Mössner, the first of which went to Robert Ley, head of the KdF organization on his birthday. Another 4 or 5 large models were made from sheet copper in a scale of 1:12.5 by Peter Koch of Cologne. The first was given to Hitler on April 20, 1938. Model number 3 was given to Robert Bosch, survived the war and was auctioned in 1996 for $50,000. One specimen is exhibited at the Deutsches Museum in Munich.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
sweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

The car that was sold at auction in 2003 should probably be stamped with Nr 1, that was the number that was talked about even then. The car was sold for 26,000 Euro. Who the buyer was was never revealed. But had it been Stiftung Auto Museum Volkswagen that have bought the car, it should have been shown earlier. It could be a private person who now has now lent the car to the exhibition or maybe the museum has bought it now? When the car was sold in 2003, it was in poor condition, several windows were missing, a headlight, the rear numberplate, etc, so it has received a light renovation after the auction.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

Nr 3 is the Bosch that was sold on auction 1996 26 february in London for 42550 GBP.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

Nr 4 is on the Munich Museum since many years.

Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche's model Reply with quote

Very cool and really detailed!

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: