Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Run switch...
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Run switch... Reply with quote

With temps at -10 deg F and a windchill of -40 deg F it's not only cold but dangerous to be out and about. If you rely on your Bug to travel under these conditions then you know how fast your Bug's engine/cab cools down when you turn off the engine. When I get my Bug started it remains running until I get back home. (with the exception of getting gas)

A run-switch allows me to keep my Bug running with the key removed and the doors locked. (I use a separate switch but you could adapt your kill-switch using a single-pole double-throw switch). I could use an extra key for my ignition but my steering wheel wouldn't be locked.

Carry the necessary cold weather back-up stuff and be safe out there. Gotta go, Bug's warmed up and I'm heading to the store.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Run switch... Reply with quote

As an emergency when the ignition switch locked up, I just jumped a wire from the fuse for the running lights to the ignition circuit. Lights on, ignition on.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Run switch... Reply with quote

Don't worry about anyone stealing the Bug
It's has a Manual Trans,, that nobody can drive Wink Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Run switch... Reply with quote

madmike wrote:

And that's pretty sad considering the AC bug is about the easiest thing to shift.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Run switch... Reply with quote

madmike wrote:

Not many thieves out in this weather!

We used to just lock them up running and use a spare key to get back in. Your solution sounds better.
hobthebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Run switch... Reply with quote

You could completely solve this problem by moving someplace warmer...

Come out to AZ, we have the opposite problem in the summer.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Run switch... Reply with quote

A gearshift lock could give an added degree of security. Stay safe out there, and happy holidays
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Run switch... Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
A gearshift lock could give an added degree of security.

Got one, it's that third peddle that the kids of today have no idea what it's purpose is. Makes shifting nearly impossible when not used! Wink
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Run switch... Reply with quote

Hmmm, I don't know how I even landed in this thread, musta been a couple inadvertent taps of my digits on this phone.

Anyway, interesting topic. I am picturing another switch - perhaps actuated by a press of the clutch - that kills the motor if someone unauthorized attempts to drive away, and then cannot be restarted (yes, an authorized operator needs a means to disable it before attempting to roll off).

Of course, I myself am not quite adept enough at eletricalicity to make something like that work, but I'd like to integrate something like that just for poops and grins.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: